Sonix Radio Vac-Form project

boba

Hi

I thought I'd compile all my pics of the Backpack radio Project I have been doing over the last few weeks.

I made some vac masters from wood, basing the size on the description of the Sonix.. '8 inch' I have taken that as the hight as it would be the largest dimension listed.

I have tried to replicate the diferent layer levels of the original and even down to the screw holes in the corners of each section.

I tried to replicate the layers on the 4 souround or the speaker but vacforming doesnt bring them out so I scrapped them. I used the fantastic dial graphic from whitecomandoV2

Here is the radio

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then created very close versions of the knobs, made a mould of them then took plastic resin casts with bolts in the back so they can turn as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also made an Aerial Head for the top right and the 2 jack points on the side.

I am going to paint the knobs and assemble it tomorrow so I will post up the final pics ASAP. :)

Woowww..awesome job trooper B) ! Will there be a run for those parts :unsure: ?!

Grtz RAY

Hi buddy

I am using 2mm....I'm not sure what that is in inches, but I dont want to go ony lower as it would get to thin and be weak. I may have a go with 1.5mm

I can do the buttons on their own if they are wanted.

Hi buddy

I am using 2mm....I'm not sure what that is in inches, but I dont want to go ony lower as it would get to thin and be weak. I may have a go with 1.5mm

I can do the buttons on their own if they are wanted.

I would like the buttons on their own. Great job on them.

Cool

I will measure them and give you their dimensions so you can check they will fit your facia plate :)

I presume you guys would want them with out the bolts so you can just stick them on?

I will sell the three knobs for £5GBP including shipping to you and they would be ready to use painted black :)

****KNOB DIMENSIONS****

the 2 smaller ones are 6/8ths of an inch dia (20mm) and the bigger one that fits on to a larger one(not supplied) is 1 inch & 1/8 (30mm)

The smaller one with the side tag is 1 inch & 1/8 wide inc the tab (30mm)

I hope I have the inches right as I dont use them I am a metric boy LOL

****KNOB DIMENSIONS****

the 2 smaller ones are 6/8ths of an inch dia (20mm) and the bigger one that fits on to a larger one(not supplied) is 1 inch & 1/8 (30mm)

The smaller one with the side tag is 1 inch & 1/8 wide inc the tab (30mm)

I hope I have the inches right as I dont use them I am a metric boy LOL

***** FINISHED RADIO****

OK here she is! PLEASE BE AWARE THE FRONT IS 8 X 6 But the back box is slightly smaller so the front fits over the back, it is also 2 and a quater inches deep.

I have also formed a LED dome on the back of the dial so you can add a light to the back to illuminate the dial. All that is needed is to add the 2 slide pole switches to complete. :D

I have even sunken the jack sockets on the left side on to a sunken plate as per the original.

I am going to make these to order for £30 GBP plus shipping to you (Sold as seen in these final pics!!)

PM me for details

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered one of these "beauties" and I have to say I was extremly suprised. I expected perfection...and my expectations were far exceeded. It is a true work of art. Soon as I find the boxes I like I will get my pack built up with this. Adding a greed LED to the dial, and have got the correct slider switches to install. Can't wait to be the best dressed TD in the Garrison.

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...