Backpack bellow part - Open discussion

RoCKo

as asked for in another thread this thread is meant to solve the mistery of the bellow part.

many here believe the hamburger stackers to be the screenused part for these backpack item but we cannot say it is clearly idetified.

i tried my best using the reference shots i have to do some high resolution photoshoped pictures....

Posted Image

Posted Image

if someone has some other reference pictures i could photoshop please feel free to contact me and will give it another try!

this thread is meant to solve the mistery so PLEASE keep it nice!

While I think the Tupperware Hamburger stacker makes a decent replica (with some modification), I think it's obvious that's not what was used.

I have stated with fair certainly, that the entire bellows and adjacent scoop, cap and side pole are all one device... a sort of (what I like to call) manifold intake.

I know someone posted that they believe the air filter on the top left corner of the 'white dial' pack design was taken from a WWII tank, and would be virtually impossible to find today. Perhaps then, this intake manifold also came from a tank or some other large engine.

I'd like to have one of those Twinkies on my backpack

Great illustration Mike! It appears the top of the bellows unit is all one piece, not a separate add on cap like we need with the hamburger stackers. The mystery continues...

Charlie

I'd like to have one of those Twinkies on my backpack

Great illustration Mike! It appears the top of the bellows unit is all one piece, not a separate add on cap like we need with the hamburger stackers. The mystery continues...

Charlie

Yeap, I sculpted a dome piece to use with the Hamburger stacker to replicate the bellows as best we can at this point.

If I had some 3D software and the knowledge to use it, I'd seriously auto-cad the whole back pack.

I still feel the Tupperware is the right part. For 2 reasons.

1. Visually I am seeing one thing and you another. But thats just where opinion comes in. I think it is on the money.

2. We know that Tupperware was used on the packs. The box (you can see the logo) and almost certainly the solar dish. It makes since that something so readily available in the 70's as the stacker was used since they were already going the Tupperware route.

I will post side by side photos of the stacker on a pack in black and white close up same quality as the screen grab we have later today. That way we can compare them.

Don't worry I am not going to curse at you Mike as some have done with each other on the forums. Lets call it agree to disagree. Even if I dont agree with you about this I still think your awesome!

Ross

Posted Image

That's cool, we all have opinions.

While the continual use of Tupperware is certainly a valid point, I'm just not convinced based on how everything fits together. Plus, all the manifold devices on each pack were pretty much identical in size and shape, leading me to theorize it's a one-piece part. Everything else (the other items on the pack) are just mashed-up, put on sideways, attached with tape, etc. I'd think we'd see the Manifold in various stages of dis-repair if they used something like a hamburger stacker, not to mention, it would be extraordinary to just happen to find a dome that perfectly fits them in the desert!

Based on this picture...

Posted Image

...it looks to me that the 'scoop' joins to the dome rather snugly, almost injection molded that way like an air intake or some sort of other device. I've sculpted this in three separate parts and put them together in a similar fashion to replicate it... it's much too laborious to think they would go through such difficulty in the desert. Not to mention, to make such a clean line with the dome like that, not using glue and still have it hold together under the desert sun seems unlikely. You have to consider how everything else was assembled, which was very hastily. Using a Tupperware Hamburger stacker, found-part dome, and additional items to comprise the manifold, to me, is outside plausibility.

Lastly, the Tupperware Hamburger stacker has an additional lip that would've had to be cut off. Why would they go through the trouble to do so? Furthermore, the remaining lip is too thick.

Just my observations.

Has anyone ever contacted auto dealerships about the bellows/mainifold? I'm not to keen on vehicles but the US did use jeeps and back in the late 70's and early 80's they used chevy blazers. I only mention the military because I had read in a post about the filter being a possible tank filter...could this part be a heater duct of some sort...the search continues...