TK's being able to wear pauldrons being considered by legion

acerhater

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about this argument is as a Sandtrooper I couldn't give an f less if they want to wear pauldrons.

When it really upsets me is when I wear my clean set of armor. I am trying to set an image of a bunch of exactly like troopers. And these people with the pauldrons are trying to set them selves apart by wearing this and it really screws up the image. Clean white Troopers were ment to all look the same.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I totally agree with the definate distinction between TK and TD point.

Rules and regulations aside, what looks more sinister?, a whole squad of ANONYMOUS WHITE troopers bearing down on you, or a hotch potch of various INDIVIDUALS.

for the most part all TD's should look the same except the rank colour of pouldren and variation in pack and all TK's should look identical. Surely the aesthetics of a TK parade will be compromised if they are allowed to customise as and when they like using the dictum of EU.

i think the EU should be by all means referenced for characters that have no screen reference to use but any character featured in any one of the six movies should be kept "screen accurate". otherwise this will spread like a disease, then the line will become so blurred we may as well stop bothering.

As one of 3 sandtrooper's from the UK I have TOLD the tk's NOT to wear one. mainly because it doesn't look right. What we need it a solid 501st rule.

I think you'll find that this has been a hard and fast rule here in the UKG for about 2.5 - 3 years now, pretty much as I joined it became a UKG rule that no TK's wore pauldrons and definately the way it should be

gotta look after you Sandies

• 3 weeks later...

I am guilty... and well, to be honest, I never wore it to anything "official" and never was planning on it. It did "look nice" for phot ops, but now that it's been autographed by Daniel Logan, it will be kept in a nice, safe place.

When I get another one, it will only be worn when I go dirty.

I now have the green lenses and the diamond plate... that much closer to going TD.

BTW- I concur. Only TD's should be able to wear them.

IMO

LOL... Mel, you are MEPD's, "LOWLAND GORILLA" Sandtrooper, a silverback to be exact because of your whiskey keg guns, and the fact that your chest is bigger around than you are tall!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is certainly an interesting topic. I have had a problem with even the MEPD requirements for a LONG time until they were recently explained to me that what is being sought is not necessarily "screen accurate" but the LOOK of what immediately comes to one's mind. While not all sandtroopeps had backpacks, the general LOOK of a sandtrooper is a dirty stormtrooper WITH a backpack. I think this would apply twice to the perception of fans. In regard to stormtroopers with pauldrons, what LOOK are you going for? How many fans are going to immediately recognize and identify with this mishmash trooper? How many fans (that are not in armor already) are going to say "Look honey! That is the trooper from page 23 of the Nov 2005, Dark Horse Presents! WOW!" Using some obscure reference from an artist who neither cares nor sticks to a truly singular design (watch the design in any comic change from drawing to drawing) is utterly ridiculous. This is simply grasping at straws by a group who want to somehow differentiate themselves from the masses, both the masses of stormtroopers and the masses of sandtroopers. I hate to tell them, but the Empire isn't about individuality and uniqueness. It is about conforming and being faceless... being one of many. I am an outsider and have never been a member of the 501st because I do not agree with some of their policies. Likewise, if these individuals don't want to conform, perhaps they need to seek an affiliation elsewhere, somewhere that they can be more free to express their individuality and uniqueness, instead of trying to bend the rules of an entire organization to fit their personal desires.

I think the 501st costuming standards are pretty clear on this. A TK with a pauldron is a non-canon TX, and this is even stated in the costume list that the special ops detachment supports.

I can say with certainty as the author of the TK detachment application that as far as the FISD (TK detachment is concerned) pauldrons are not part of the TK costuming standard.

Unless someone revises the charters of the detachments, I don't see this ever changing, so it should seem a closed issue.

As the TX Det Lead, we're fighting this update to the point that we do not officially recognize it.

The TX Det is home to only EU Troopers, and as such, this change was never discussed with our Det or any of the 501st Detachment Leads before it was implemented. It's like the MEPD being told to accept TDs even if they don't come up to your Det standards.

I know the MEPD doesn't want the HWT and they've always had a home with us because we are the EU Trooper Det. We don't like the change any more than you guys do, so we're fighting it.

Let's hope the next time the Council or LMO chooses to make a change, they invite the effected Dets to discuss it before they force it upon us.

Kev

TX Det Lead and MEPD member

Well said Kevin. The MEPD is the detachment for sandtroopers, regardless of any letters assigned or who we share those letters with. If the HWT is to share the designation, that is fine. They can start a Heavy Weapons trooper detachment. I agree that it should reside within the TX group, not sure why they can't just give it its own set of letters. I think that very few people actually set out to do a heavy weapons trooper, instead this move is a loophole to placate all the people who want to have a stormtrooper with a pack/pauldron/bfg. I am at the point that I no longer care about 501st politics. If it were up to me every single costume and variant would have a unique designation. That way there is nothing to argue about.