Sim between ab & kidney plate

Old Trooper

Hi guys been doing work on my armour and have come to a issue that needs clarification.

question: I require to ad a sim between the ab & kidney plates, I know where the studs go on the ab plate but do I place the studs that sit adjacent to those on the kidney plate which gives a looks rather a large distance apart & some what wrong or do I put them on the sim forward part of the section and a line the sim as if like the kidney ought to whilst a lining or laying the back section of the sim flush with the kidney plate

thoughts or advise would be helpful

amour is ATA.

Hi Chris, I had to do the same & I added the studs to the shim so that it looked correct & didn't give away the fact that I am a little larger around the middle than your average sandy. I was also approved as a police officer with this set up. Hope that helps.

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

On the left you can use whatever to fasten the sides; just make sure you've got the 6 rivets in the right spot (3 on ab, 3 on kidney - they don't need to be functional).

On the right you can also do whatever but I installed the "Han" rivet and use some elastic to snap the right side on/off. Your belt should help keep the bottom pieces together, and the whole thing is held up by your chest and back pieces.

Imagine a set of overalls that you get into by opening the right side, not unstrapping the top straps. That's basically what you're building. (Or at least what a lot of people seem to build after their strapping is done.)

• 3 weeks later...

I had to do this on my AP TK as well. Glued a vertical strip of ABS on the inside to hold it together. Used a heat gun to slightly bend the strips to match the kidney plate shape. Then applied ABS paste to fill the seam and wet sanded it. Mine turned out pretty good but I would have sanded down the two edges to better match if I did it again.

*edited to add shots of the inside and gluing.

IMG_2984Medium_zpsf8ebe905.jpg

P1000700Medium.jpg

P1000701Medium.jpg

• 1 month later...