CRL pouches question

So under the pouches section the crl says

Black in color, made of canvas, leather or leather-like German MP-40 style ammo pouches. There shall be two minimum : one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip. A third worn on the opposite hip is allowed.

My question is the one pouch on the left shoulder requirment. There are actaully several different configurations shown in our layouts where there is no pouch on the shoulder? Is that going to be a show stopper from getting approved if I send in photos with MP40 pouch on left hip and small pouch on right hip. I am following the Captain docking bay 94 tuck and roll config that has a T21 and no backpack. That config does not have a shoulder pouch.

You have to reference back "up" to see what pouches are required at the base level, then look down to see the ones for Officer. So, all you would need are: "Ammo Pouches: Two or three in total, made of black leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron."

In other words, you don't need one on the shoulder. B)

Actually, it is a bit more difficult than that.

The thing is that the 3 CRLs: 501st, Police officer and SWAT, are not really a sequence. They sort of are, but not 100%.

So, you are required to have 2 pouches for 501st and Police Offier deployment. And yes, they are needed to be one on the shoulder and one on the hip. But, for SWAT, and once you are cleared in the two previous CRLS, you can go nutts and try to emulate any specific character (based on the 6 main TDs on ANH) with any configuration seen on screen.

So, yes... for 501st acceptance, you need two pouches, one on the left shoulder and one on the hip and for Police Officer deploymentt just two pouches either on the shoulder or hip. The kind of pouch would be canvas MP38/40 or leather MP40. For the hip you could use the leather MP40, any size of the spanish pouch, and the so called roadblock pouch.

French pouches can be accepted by GML for 501st clearance, but not for either of the MEPD programs.

Does that helps?

Let me know...

Saludos.

Juan

Actually, it is a bit more difficult than that.

The thing is that the 3 CRLs: 501st, Police officer and SWAT, are not really a sequence. They sort of are, but not 100%.

So, you are required to have 2 pouches for 501st and Police Offier deployment. And yes, they are needed to be one on the shoulder and one on the hip. But, for SWAT, and once you are cleared in the two previous CRLS, you can go nutts and try to emulate any specific character (based on the 6 main TDs on ANH) with any configuration seen on screen.

So, yes... for 501st acceptance, you need two pouches, one on the left shoulder and one on the hip and for Police Officer deploymentt just two pouches either on the shoulder or hip. The kind of pouch would be canvas MP38/40 or leather MP40. For the hip you could use the leather MP40, any size of the spanish pouch, and the so called roadblock pouch.

French pouches can be accepted by GML for 501st clearance, but not for either of the MEPD programs.

Does that helps?

Let me know...

Saludos.

Juan

I think there is a flaw in the requirments. According to what you are saying, Technically it is impossible to wear this configuration according to our standards. For basic approval there is the requirment that a pouch is needed on the left shoulder. You mentioned that once swat is achieved you can go crazy and emulate any character. A backpack is required for swat. The docking bay 94 config does not use a back pack.

The CRL list a pack as an optional

Backpack

For 501st approval:

• Optional due to the presence of sandtroopers without pauldron, shoulder pouch or backpack in the Docking Bay 94 scene in ANH.
The only reason I question this is because its a challenge to attach that shoulder pouch when a pack is not going to be worn. So since a backpack is optional due to the Docking Bay 94 scene why isnt the pouch placement flexible due to that scene as well? Pretty much the CRL is saying its ok to not wear a pack due to that scene but its not ok to wear the pouches as worn in that sceen.

Posted Image

The 501st requirement for pouches states, "20.AMMO POUCHES: Two or three in total, made of black leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron."

It does not specify here that a shoulder pouch is necessary.

The 501st requirement for pouches states, "20.AMMO POUCHES: Two or three in total, made of black leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron."

It does not specify here that a shoulder pouch is necessary.

Where are you seeing that? Here is what I see

Ammo Pouches

For 501st approval:

• All Sandtrooper armor parts are required to be dirty. See the sandtrooper weathering page for more information.
  • Black in color, made of canvas, leather or leather-like German MP-40 style ammo pouches. There shall be two minimum : one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip. A third worn on the opposite hip is allowed.

Very interesting the CRL in the 501st Databank does not match the one in the MEPD.net site

Agreed... For what it's worth, I was approved for 501st without the shoulder pouch. Hope they don't revoke my membership! :-)

@ Brad - To obtain a TD designation in the 501st, the Legion CRL is a fine guideline and that should get you in, no problem. But, the MEPD is a Detachment, there are separate guidelines to follow. It's all a tad bit confusing, but it's pretty much you have to go through the process with 501st Legion entry THEN you'll be able to qualify for MEPD. I tried to get MEPD deployed before I got Legion approved and it was no dice. Everyone here went through the process, but it was worth it.

Hope that helps, Brother. Good luck!

Yeah... just as Michael said...

and...

The 501st CRL is more of a guideline that GML use to approve members within their Garrison.

The MEPD requirements (Police Officer and SWAT) have different origins and have different goals.

Police Officer status was made cause several years ago the TDs were a secondary character on both SW and the 501st. Not many people took them seriously. So the 501st requirements were quiet lose. Not even needing dirt to get the designation.

So a few people join into forming this detachment to give the character some more presence on the map. With time, it was obvious that the MEPD strived for better armor and actually were the pioneers in really improving systematically the quality of our armors.

Together with the BSN and the FISD, the MEDP launched a program for troopers aiming for better armor and the recognition that should come with it (police officer deployment), but also, to give the Sandtrooper character a more consistent along the 501st.

So, 501st requirements are quiet basic. Only asking for what can easily be pointed out in a troop as a different character from the TKS. Meaning pouldron and pouches. Not pack is required or weapon.

Police Officer is the next or actually first step towards a real SAndtrooper portrayal, being it the basic requirements you need to achieve to really look the part.

SWAT is a newer program, designed for those aiming for real screen accuracy. It is not the next step from 501st or police officer, just a new more demanding one, that happens to have the other 2 previous clearances as requirements.

So yes, they don't match, but no, there is not a flaw there. It was done that way from the beginning.

Take in consideration that the only membership CRL and clearance is the 501st. The other two are more badges...

And, also, those charts are not the CRL or requirements at all. They are only a visual guide for members to have a clear image of which version is which. And, no offense to Rolf or Terry who made them, a couple of them are now a bit out of date.

:)

Does this make it more clear?

Hope so...

Saludos.

In this case the 501st general admission CRL is more strict than the MEPD CRL due to the verbiage about the pouches.

Who is in charge of the TD crl at the legion level? Is there someone at the legion level that I can point that pouch verbiage out to? All I am trying to point out is that in the Legion CRL the reason they give for the back pack being optional is because there are sceens when troopers are seen without backpacks. In those same sceens troopers are seen without MP40 pouches on the left shoulder. So therefor the wording on the legion CRL should mention that in some situations it is not necessary to have the Ammo pouch on the left shoulder.

I agree with Brad here actually the 501st CRL is not the same as the CRL for 501st clearance on MEPD. They need to be the same really, andI agree that the MEPD one for 501st clearance is better as it states just 2 different styles of pouch thus if you dont have a backpack you dont need to have one. However I would still encourage everyone to have a backpack, and in fact, as has been stated, it is a requirement to join the MEPD.

Nick

Still looking for some detachment leadership guidance on this. We have identified that the CRL showing 501st requirments on MEPD does not match the wording for the CRL on the 501st legion databank. Specifically the veriabe on the pouch placement.

Still looking for some detachment leadership guidance on this. We have identified that the CRL showing 501st requirments on MEPD does not match the wording for the CRL on the 501st legion databank. Specifically the veriabe on the pouch placement.

Yeah.. we have taken note on that... however, the CRL legion wise is a complex issue. Most detachments have been working with the legion command for several administrations to make this clear and uniform all over the different 501st levels and charters. Some mistakes on wording might have happened in the way.

We will pass this to them, and try to come to an agreement soon. Both things should be the same for sure, this is just a confusion I am sure.

Anyway, as I said before, the CRL is just a guideline for GML to approve or deny membership. But actually, GMLs has the authority to overlook some requirements in certain cases... also, some GMLs and Garrisons have higher standards than others. An example of that is the UK garrison, in my opinion, the most strict garrison when approving new members' costumes.

For what it is worth, for 501st membership, neither the MEPD or the actual 501st command have an immediate say on approvals. So, if your GML uses the MEPD or 501st wording, it is still up to them to give the final yes or no.

We will work to have this fixed anyway.

:)

Saludos.

Just a quick question regarding the size of the spanish pouch. I do not see the size of the spanish ammo pouch. Can anyone point me in the direction or give me the dimensions? I am gathering my gear now and want to be 99.9% accurate before I request MEPD Deployment.

Thanks

Mike

tk3099

Cool beans. Thanks

I do see one that is 8x4.5x1.5 inches. 20.3 cm x 11.4 x 3.8. I assumne that may be the med or roadblock pouch. I already have 4 MP 40 pouches, authentic WWII, two with the three mag holders and two with the extra small mag loader pouch. I just need a canvas shoulder pouch.

Agreed... For what it's worth, I was approved for 501st without the shoulder pouch. Hope they don't revoke my membership! :-)

@Pete: Quick question: Did you have the backpack at all for your TD when it was 501st approved? I'm looking to go from TK to TD but can't swing the pack just yet. I'll have everything else. Just curious

@Pete: Quick question: Did you have the backpack at all for your TD when it was 501st approved? I'm looking to go from TK to TD but can't swing the pack just yet. I'll have everything else. Just curious

Devin,

I didn't have the pack when I got approved for the 501st, and I didn't have a shoulder pouch. As can be gathered by this thread, the issue regarding the necessity of a shoulder pouch comes down to the discretion of your GML.

Good luck!