DarthGrace's ATA TD Build

darthgrace

It feels reaaly good to make this post (and a little scary too). I ordered my ATA armor yesterday. I was told it is about a 10 week wait list so this might be a littel premature. But I will update as thing develope.

I have gotten underarmor tops and bottoms. I received a hyperfirm E-11. And I started gathering all of the tools and supplies needed for the build.

My plan is every two weeks (payday) to oder the rest of the things I need. Hopefully by the fall I will have a backpack and in the winter a long gun.

What I am lookig for (besdies some encouragement and support because I have never done an armor build before) is advice.

So here goes:

1. How many feet and what size straps do I need? I am toying with the idea of using velcro instead of snaps but will probably do a combo. I am going to make a belt with 2 inch and a buckle and will hang garters for the thighs. What sizes whould I use for the shoulder to biceps to forearms? What size for the thighs and what size for inside torso? What size should I use for suspenders (connect to ab plate go around shoulder and conect to the kidneyp plate)?

2. Is there a tutorial or discussion thread on how to attach the shoulder pouch to the left shoulder and how to attached the tool pouch to the main cartridge pouch?

3. Where should I start first? Helment, extremeties, torso, other?

4. What size rare Earth magnets should I get?

I have done a ton of research and have flagged a ton of how to's and tutorials. Based on my questions can you tell if I am I misisng anything else?

Again, I am very excited and a little scared. I am out in Binghamton, NY and I don't know anyone close to me who I can go to for help or advice. Plus I have only been in the legion less than a year. So please have some patience with me and I can't wait to get started.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Question:

The 1/8in rivets on the left side, are they there for show? do that atach to or hold anything in place?

Should I get a piece of the same canvas material that I am using for the shoulder straps to create a panel on each side of the torso connecting the ab plate to the kidney plate?

hey chris,i know how excited you must be,i remember ordering my first armour an il never

forget how hard each day is waiting for that brown box :verymad:

thing is it doent change,ive just ordered my second from t.m and im still as anxious!

i used industrial velcro on my first on parts where i was worried it might need altering,its very user friendly.

what i did was also glued the back of the sticky part to give it extra strength,i found that sometimes the velcro could pull the back of the velcro of the armour!

as rick said i would not start with helmet as i did(couldnt resist,dived in an made a hash of it)

i found the shins and biceps the easiest to do first!

some answers to your questions(some troops may say different,but this is what i did)

1.shoulder bells to biceps-25mm black elastic using snaps,50mm for garters,suspenders and torso

2.i attached my ammo poach to my pack strap using indust.velcro.if you need to atach your tool pouch id sew it on

3.discussed :yes:

4.my rare earth magnets are 8mm but im going for a little bigger next build and lots more clamps

hope this is of some help

good luck,marcus :thumbsup:

So here goes:

1. How many feet and what size straps do I need? I am toying with the idea of using velcro instead of snaps but will probably do a combo. I am going to make a belt with 2 inch and a buckle and will hang garters for the thighs. What sizes whould I use for the shoulder to biceps to forearms? What size for the thighs and what size for inside torso? What size should I use for suspenders (connect to ab plate go around shoulder and conect to the kidneyp plate)?

2. Is there a tutorial or discussion thread on how to attach the shoulder pouch to the left shoulder and how to attached the tool pouch to the main cartridge pouch?

3. Where should I start first? Helment, extremeties, torso, other?

4. What size rare Earth magnets should I get?

Hey Chris, sorry for not replying before....

I know how you are feeling, putting together your first armor is exciting, scary and intimidating at the same time. But at the end it is always awesome!!!

So here are some questions from my experience... Just take what fits you, after all, the most important thing isthat you like your armor.

1, I would say, there is not a recipe you must follow for lenght and all that. What I did was to come up with a system that I thought it would work for me following other's builds and advice, and then cut every strap while fitting. Go for what works for you and your body build.

Somewhere around here is my build thread, there you will find lots of discussion on strapping and lots of insights from armor experts like TM and Art Andrews... I will dig it up monday when I go back to my computer, on my ipad now.

Anyway, i prefer snaps to velcro. Found they are more reliable in hot weather, so for me it works great. Mot to mention velcro was not used in anh armor. But, what works for you is good enough.

2. Shoulder pouch should be attached to the backpack strap. So when you take the pack off, off goes the pouch too. The small tool pouch, I sew it to the main pouch. Just thread and needle. ;) also, there is a thread of my mp38/40 pouch mods.

3. Having build several armors, I still always start with the biceps, then forearms... They are easy. And leave the bucket least! ;)

4. Have never used them, but i am guessing a quarter dollar coin size should work great.

Hope it helps...

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Saludos

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates.

Just received my boots from tkboots:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j450/darthgrace/001.jpg

received my rubber gloves and the latex handguards that I ordered from trooperbay:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j450/darthgrace/005.jpg

I also received my shoulder pouches:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j450/darthgrace/004.jpg

what is the best way to dye these? Use some RIT and follow the directions?

I also receiced my small Spanish Pouches:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j450/darthgrace/006.jpg

what is the best way to dye these? Should I use black leather dye from tandy leather? is there a black or some other color that is reccomended?

thanks for the help.

mr. Darthgrace...

You have the same pouches I have and I bet got them from the same place I did.... IMA-USA!!!

I learned to dye the pouches by using Fiebings U.S.M.C. Black 4.oz is perfect size to do the shoulder "MP40" pouch. It is easy to find at any craft store I.e. Hobby lobby, Michael's, Joann's or a local leather shop. it comes with a little brush to apply the die.

hints..

1. do it outside in the sun so you can see where the die is less dark than other spots and goes on evenly..

2. wear gloves and if you get it on your skin use rubbing alcohol before it dries to remove it...whatever you dont get it on ANYTHING of value!! buy a cheap plastic bucket from a dollar/thrift store to dye it in so you can just dispose of it when done and only have to spend a dollar or two. Instead of staining a counter top like I did the first time.

3. MAKE sure it is thoughly dried before applying a matte sealer. the dye rubbs off if not sealed so keep the little ones hands off till you seal the learher pouch.

also if you look up on the forums on MEPD there is a help forum on how to post pics..i'm not 100% sure how to do it!!!

keep posting on your progress my friend and most importantly have fun!!!

Stay Frosty

i dyed my pouches black then gave them a layer of satin black spray on top,i found they came out really well as it gave the colour some nice imperfections to it.

also make sure you check with the guys on what glue is best for the handplates,ive heard that some types can melt the gloves! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I started dying my ammo pouches. I bought the tan ones so I am dying them green then I will dye them black.

I started sanding and cleaning my rubber gloves and the flexible hand guards. One question, if I glue them to match the move along trooper (hope to go SWAT someday) would that prevent me from getting approval into the 501st and deployed as an MEPD officer (once I get the backpack)?

yes. If I put the left on the right and vice versa to match the Move Along trooper, would this prevent me from getting my TD ok'd by the 501st, and deployed as an MEPD while I continue to fine tune it to get it up to SWAT standards?

Thanks guys