Technical specs of the Field Backpack

nick.black

Did anyone ever come up with any technical specs for the field backpack. Has it ever been mentioned in any of the technical books or anything, or has anyone ever come up with anything here? Im talking what the parts of the backpack would be for, technical name for the pack stuff like that.

I only ask cos I want to throw myself fully into the role of Sandtrooper when I troop and therefore it might be cool to be able to answer questions on the pack if I'm ever asked.

I have my own ideas of what things would be for, but it might be a cool discussion also if it hasnt been done before.

Many thanks

Nick

Just found on Wookieepedia that it is referred to as the SD-48 survival pack. And upon further investigation into this the sideshow "Desert Sands" Sandtrooper http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=100055#!prettyPhoto[product_gallery]/7/ is listed as having a Survival pack with Long Cycle Filter and Short Cycle Filter and upon reviewing the photos these parts are what we commonly know as the Mortar Tube. Does anyone have one of these and can confirm what the difference between these 2 parts is please?

Wonder where they got their info from?

The plot thickens I will continue my search.

Nick

Have no idea...

There are packs with longer and shooter mortar tubes... could that be what they refer to?

Also, Bluey came up with an idea of adding a refrigerator or AC or water pump sound to the pack, to simulate the temperature control device inside it. Someone even suggested to add some ice to the bee stinger so it would melt and drip during troops, simulating a leak on the AC system.

There is a thread about that from maybe 3 years ago. And there was some other discussion about this there too.

Have no idea in which forum anyway. Should be on the pack forum I guess... In case you feel like digging it up.

Saludos

Juan

Yeh I remember seeing the idea of having dry ice inside so that exhaust came out of the exhaust. I tried to search the forums for any discussion on these parts, cos I wanted to come up with a definitive answer on what all the parts were. I imagined the bee stinger was maybe some kind of drip feed of waste water or something like that. I guess we will never fully know what the designer was thinking when he made the thing but we can guess I suppose.

Anyone know why it was decided that the tube was a "Mortar tube"? Was that something the guys on here came up with?

Nick

Have no idea...

And most likely there will never be a definite guide for that... mainly cause the art department just put stuff together that they thought look good.

As I remember, Lucas wanted the desert troopers to look ready for action with "something to show rank" and "something on the back".

So... this might end up being a will bantha chase.

;)

Saludos.

I thought I read somewhere that the packs contained the following...

AC type liquid cooling system to regulate Trooper body temp in the harsh desert environment.

The syphon and 2 canisters with mushroom caps were the main parts of the cooling system.

The exhaust port was for venting hot air from the system. The bee stinger was sort of a water relief valve, venting excess liquid from the cooling system.

The main trays were where the main electronics, wiring and guts of the pack were stored.

Communications of course were handled by the Sonix.

Every field pack has to have a tool box.

Mortar tube was exactly what the name says. A secondary weapon that used the small radar dish for targeting.

Thats my story when I am trooping anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I know that everything here is theoretical but I am noticing some very interesting stuff about the packs.

Notice in this shot of troops heading into Docking Bay 94, the last trooper has a much shorter pipe which does not extend to the same level as the bottom of his canister, as the trooper in front of him does.

Posted Image

This would tie in nicely with the theory presented by Sideshow of a long and short cycle air filter.

Nick

Well I'm not totally sure cos there are some inconcistencies here.

http://www.looksirdroids.com/davin_backpack.htm

On this page Davin Felth is shown as this trooper at the back, and it states he is wearing pack #1, however its definately not pack #1 due to the length of the tube. It is the same pack as the black pauldron trooper in the roadblock, although the bottom bottle is missing off his pack there.

Nick