My "Move Along" Field Pack Build

SAND DEVIL

Here is my pack build. Not done and it has taken over a week to even get this far. And I mean a week of straight late nights and all day vacation time.

First, THANK YOU to Dirty Boy for the kit. What an amazing kit. Great price, fast ship, and even some extra things I was not expecting. You are the man. Second, to all the great forums on how to do the build and ideas. I just love this group and the help. And finally, Quartermaster for the radio hinge idea. I sat there staring at the radio for a week and could not figure out how to get a really good fit and closing. Once painted, I think even Juan might say it is SWAT approved. Counting Chicken one, counting chicken two....and look, they are still little eggs.

Anyway, I went with the seamless zip tie tray mounting from another forum, and I would love to give credit where it is due, but know if I leave this forum to look, I will have to type all this all over agin, so I salute and appreciate you "Mr. Anonymous". I have no doubt I will be enlightened soon. Great and easy idea to ensure you can make those simple adjustments when the Command Staff so graciously points out the things you need to rip off and adjust for screen accuracy. :) I also went with Quartermaster's (QM) seamless frame build, but mine was nowhere near as beautiful as his. Also made my own caps for the mortar, another QM credit, and they look great. Made my own aluminum stinger brackets, very hard to get them to the right angle on the trays. Used balsa wood on the top of the stinger to ensure it was strong and sturdy. The Krylon paint (blue) came off when I did the black, what a nightmare. Even primer didn't work. I have some small adjustments and final painting to do and I will upload more pictures then.

On the speaker, I can't tell you how much I love the Magic Bullet Speaker from "As Seen On TV". I picked it up at a local Walgreens (US) for $15. You can see from the pics I already wired a 4" 5 Watt Speaker, and then changed it. That little dude could blow the clothes off....well you get the idea. It is really loud and can be heard in a crowded room at 75% volume. Plugs into a standard 3.5 input. I will be using a small iPod Shuffle in my shoulder ammo pouch when all is said and done, but the sound will be the same. Lasts for hours, rechargeable on the computer, easy to use, small and just a great item. I would be happy to help a sandy brother or sister out if they can't find them online, just send a PM.

Hope this helps, I didn't want to give you a play by play, because my builds are nowhere as pretty as some others (QM & Dirty Boy). If you are as new as me and just starting, READ, READ , READ the forums. I have spent months just preparing to start building. Next project, bucket and armor, then off to Celebration 6.... See you in the dunes, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions. And as always, I am VERY interested in ideas to get the pack right and can handle the criticism. Bring it on baby, Vader didn't make no babies, um, well, I guess he did, but you know what I mean....Thanks for looking.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/MEPDSandDevil/MEPD%20Backpack%20Build/

Great job there Ben! The Radio really came out great! Glad you found some of my tips helpful. Believe me, trial and error for the past 2 years of pack building are how I learned what works and what doesn't. I know Rick will say the same.

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming.

Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if I can be of any further help along the way.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Update: More paint and started to put it together, still much more to do. Also, note to self; purchase more bandaids. I tried to use the seamless seed tray method and with need to enlarge the brackets or find thinner ties. Cut every finger and used every bad word I know and a few I made up...more to come.

Rick,

The only part I am concerned with is the exhaust port on the top. Do you think it is too short and has to be changed? I looked at the screen photos and really could not tell. I would rather rip it down and redo now, before it is complete. Just finishing painting the radio and final touches. Still need to get smaller zip ties for the seamless seed tray mounts. I thought the mortar placement was good, but not sure and the bolt used for the radar dish, accurate enough? Thanks for taking the time to look. Have a great weekend team.

Ben

Finished the radio and shells, put together. Need to finish dirt weather. And just ordered a control panel from Jesse for the mortar tube. Still have to paint the caps and radar white too, primer now. I wanted to wait until all the white parts were together to ensure consistency. Painted the top of the wood on the stinger black and actually flipped the homemade brackets to face in. Boy was that a pain to drill out the rivets and redo. Gave a much better fit on the bottom. Also took a picture of the bottom tray with the five bumps, hard to see on the pack in pictures. I will also add the wire to the radio, but want to come up with a way to open easy. I have such a cool sound system in it now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you think there is too much weather on the radio and should I paint it black more? I really like the weather, but not sure if I used too much. I think the dirt (Fullers) will mute and mix it into the pack better. But always open to suggestions.

Rick: Thank you for the feedback. I have the bottle on the end so I can open the cap for keys and money, another great idea from someone we all know. I also thought the bottle was screen accurate there. I might just break and drill out the tube on the exhaust and start that part over.....need to think about that one.

TheEvilJawa: Rick's kits are AWESOME, and well worth the money. And if you go for a build, the price is CHEAP! It has taken me every weekend and night to get this far in a month. Lot of man hours....

Well have to go out of town for the week, so no more till the weekend, stupid real life job.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 7 months later...