Side shim question

Beren

By side shim do you mean on the ab section ?

Im pretty new around here and just putting together my ANH TE so im hoping ive done this correctly myself, but ive used White canvas as my shim purely to give the ab section movement.

here are some pictures of what i have done so far so before you either do your shims or copy what i have done id wait to see if any of the more experienced guys chime in and give you better advice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First, that mannequin looks way too real! Surprised me for a second.

Second, I guess I am confused about how the side shim is attached and where the rivets go. On the left side, do you glue a 2" shim for example to the kidney piece and then place your rivets/ snaps through the shim material? (with other rivets/snaps in the ab piece).

Or, do you still keep the rivets/snaps in the kidney piece and use longer straps to connect it to the ab?

First, that mannequin looks way too real! Surprised me for a second.

Second, I guess I am confused about how the side shim is attached and where the rivets go. On the left side, do you glue a 2" shim for example to the kidney piece and then place your rivets/ snaps through the shim material? (with other rivets/snaps in the ab piece).

Or, do you still keep the rivets/snaps in the kidney piece and use longer straps to connect it to the ab?

You know what ? i have no idea, and im thinking i may have done mine wrong :6:

Dear Beren, don't know if this is the aid you are looking for, but if it is here goes just a few tips:

-Make it have a snug fit both shins and thighs

-Have a buddy aid you in finding the perfect fit and do it before any cutting or glueing with masking tape\

-Masking tape can be kind of annoying handling due to it's light resistance, but it's all about patience

-When measuring have your boots on so you can know exactly were to trim the shins along with the thighs

-Do the same with your crotch armor part as well. Remember that when moving shins and thighs may collide with the crotch. It's not an impossible trim, just a patience and comfortable one to make

-Try to have a comfortable leg bend from forward to backward with your crotch and boots on. Every part counts when moving and doing trooping movement

-Measure up to 3 times before cutting and glueing

Have any questions just knock the door so we can help. I agree with the link I'm attaching, legs are a tough part to assemble but not a one you can't nail.

;)

http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/Tutorials-legs

• 4 weeks later...

What are the SWAT requirements for the rivets and snaps?

The costume reference simply says six are needed on the left side and one is needed on the right. Will any rivet work, or are specific ones recommended (split rivets, etc).

Also, what about the snaps in the crotch area? What are the SWAT requirements here?

What are the SWAT requirements for the rivets and snaps?

The costume reference simply says six are needed on the left side and one is needed on the right. Will any rivet work, or are specific ones recommended (split rivets, etc).

Also, what about the snaps in the crotch area? What are the SWAT requirements here?

They must look like the armor on screen. So functionality isn't an issue; form over function. But they are needed in the crotch.

As far as what kind, it doesn't matter as long as they look right. Brads are actually more accurate than rivets... but pop-rivets aren't workable for SWAT. Look at the example SWAT thread to see the size references.

Does that help?

Oh... and worry about things in this order... 1) get a 501st TD designation... 2) get deployed as a Police Officer, if you so choose and if you think it's worth the effort... 3) talk to family and friends about whether or not you should try for SWAT deployment. Enter counseling for obsession. Return to normal civilization. Submit photos for SWAT. Get denied. Mope about for a few weeks. Fix your armor and resubmit photos for SWAT again. Wait. Stress out. Rethink life. Possibly, actually, achieve SWAT. :lol:

Bluey,

Thanks for the help... and yes, I'm beginning the think I'll need therapy for this obsession I've developed. Not that I'm focused on SWAT at this point, but if I'm going to fasten a rivet, brad, snap, or whatever through my precious armor, I don't want to regret it later....

I do intend to apply as a Police Officer once my build is completed. What's the point of making a TD unit if you don't intend to join the MEPD, right??? I'm at the point now where I'm ready to shim my sides closed and will follow your advice of form over function. A few brads should be easy enough to install. :6:

Great to hear, brother! I agree... why do something now you'll regret later. Even if SWAT isn't an immediate goal — which is good for guys just starting imho — it's not bad to have it on the radar as a future possibility! :salute:

More shim questions, if the piece needed between your front ab and rear kidney is 4'' , do you

build it up from the back (hide the shim join) then rivet line at the front.

or

do you build from the ab plate back and have your rivet lines near the original kidney plate line,

or

build front and back shims that meet in the middle and rivet lines are centered?...

or

have rivet lines on the actual ab and kidney plates and have a 4'' shim piece in the middle?

sry faked up some pics but cant upload from this p.c

They must look like the armor on screen. So functionality isn't an issue; form over function. But they are needed in the crotch.

As far as what kind, it doesn't matter as long as they look right. Brads are actually more accurate than rivets... but pop-rivets aren't workable for SWAT. Look at the example SWAT thread to see the size references.

Does that help?

Oh... and worry about things in this order... 1) get a 501st TD designation... 2) get deployed as a Police Officer, if you so choose and if you think it's worth the effort... 3) talk to family and friends about whether or not you should try for SWAT deployment. Enter counseling for obsession. Return to normal civilization. Submit photos for SWAT. Get denied. Mope about for a few weeks. Fix your armor and resubmit photos for SWAT again. Wait. Stress out. Rethink life. Possibly, actually, achieve SWAT. :lol:

LOL :teehee::woot::teehee: Now I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!!! Very well put BOSS! Very well PUT!!

I did (well to the extent my internet limit would allow) :)

FISD Reference pics are very slim and assume small gaps, it appears to read that you would build the Kidney plate forward to meet the Ab plate. but i'm not looking at it from the angle of being an FISD trooper but as a deployed Sandtrooper, so looking to the relevant advice from the relevant source. As we know CRLs are not set in stone but a guide....