Kaptin Kaos' TD Build

Kaptin Kaos

I still need to find that funky right hip ammo pouch though. Looks like it's probably a repro or something the prop makers made. It's completely different than the left hip or shoulder pouches which are definitely genuine MP40 pouches (leather). Mine are of the canvas variety, which I'm fine with. At the tiny price I paid for real WWII ones I can definitely live with that, lol! I heard that someone makes those types of pouches (repro 3 slot MP40 leather) here on MEPD?

Says it's a replica bud. :)

And the flaps on the three cells (#1) should be straight across, not tapered.

That smaller pouch wasn't right either, it's missing the strap (#3)... which looks like the three cell straps (#2).

Posted Image

I saw one of these on ebay recently (the real thing) ... But the guy wanted (I think) something like $600 for it!

http://www.strandholm.dk/magpou40.htm

In that page you can see that the REAL MP40 pouches had toolkit pouches with AND without the strap. Also, the leather "repro's" are a dead ringer for the late era "43-44" leather pouches. I was comparing the repro to the real thing, not the one in the movie. The shoulder pouch in the movie is canvas, not leather. Only the canvas ones had the tool pouch set up the way it is kinda sewn on the end and side.

I don't know man, this one looks like leather to me. The edges looks too thick, and square (like cut leather) to be canvas. I swear I saw a leather one (just like the one inn the photo) on ebay not too long ago. I'll have to see if I can find the photo on my computer at home.

I do think some of the other one's use in ANH were probably canvas. But the one in this capture looks leather to me.

Posted Image

I still need to find that funky right hip ammo pouch though. Looks like it's probably a repro or something the prop makers made. It's completely different than the left hip or shoulder pouches which are definitely genuine MP40 pouches (leather). Mine are of the canvas variety, which I'm fine with. At the tiny price I paid for real WWII ones I can definitely live with that, lol! I heard that someone makes those types of pouches (repro 3 slot MP40 leather) here on MEPD?

Which one, the one that curves kinda funny?

I don't know man, this one looks like leather to me. The edges looks too thick, and square (like cut leather) to be canvas. I swear I saw a leather one (just like the one inn the photo) on ebay not too long ago. I'll have to see if I can find the photo on my computer at home.

I do think some of the other one's use in ANH were probably canvas. But the one in this capture looks leather to me.

Posted Image

It could be a leather repro the prop makers did in leather to look like the canvas style, but I'm almost 100% sure that no leather WWII MP 40 pouch in that style ever existed. It does look quite thick, but keep in mind it's zoomed way in. Fwiw, the real canvas ones were super thick and sturdy. It's not like canvas you see or think of today. Probably almost twice as thick and also double sewn and double folded on the edges. Ze Chermans made things to last back in the day. :D

Which one, the one that curves kinda funny?

Nope, the one that looks like a leather MP40 3 pocket pouch, but isn't. It looks like the pouches offered on MEPD as hip pouches. I'm pretty sure now after hunting a lot on WWII pages that it must be a prop they made for the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Not so well I'm afraid... My armor DID arrive, but I didn't even get a pic of the box or what was inside before I got a call and got shipped out. I'll be home in a few weeks I hope and then I can resume my Sandy! :D

(No sign of the pack parts yet though.)

Cheers!

Nope, the one that looks like a leather MP40 3 pocket pouch, but isn't. It looks like the pouches offered on MEPD as hip pouches. I'm pretty sure now after hunting a lot on WWII pages that it must be a prop they made for the movie.

Hey Bro, how are you doing?

Just read the last posts on this thread and I am interested in hearing your opinion as an informed WWII collector/enthusiast...

We had a long discussion about 2 or 3 years ago about the so called hip "MP40" leather pouches.

At that time, it was concluded that even if they looked like and could have been based on Stolla Wien Pouches, these would have not been real pouches but replicas made by the prop department on production...

This due mainly to constructions notes as:

-using rivets instead of stitches would make it not durable enough for real army use

-main body to long for soldiers to take out ammo clips easy

-parts and hardware not the most practical thing to use under stress

And a few other things...

So at the time, a project was taken by Sci-Fire / Imperial Outfitters to make replica pouches to meet the construction and looks of the production used.

It was a limited run of some awesome SW prop replica making!

With time, the same project was taken by Zadokk and he made available some really awesome replica pouches, that look just like the ones on screen... never intending to make them look like real army pouches, but like the real screen used pouch.

Maybe that is why they look funky to you...

This are some pictures of the real pouch and from both runs:

Imperial Outfitters.

post-1761-0-88971500-1321550613_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-83723900-1321550598_thumb.jp

Zadokks.

post-1761-0-68505300-1321550672_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-56848700-1321550678_thumb.jp

The production ones (right hip on Roadblock captain):

post-1761-0-44111900-1321550819_thumb.pn

And the Solla Wien pouch:

post-0-0-52616400-1321550934_thumb.jpg

So... my question is, what do you think about our conclusions from that discussion...

I can try and dig up that thread if you would like to read it... There is also another thread started by Art Andrews about finding the perfect canvas shoulder pouch. Your input on both fronts sounds promising...

Will dig that up too...

Saludos.

Juan

Note: All pictures were collected from the MEPD forum, not mine, and don't even remember who the owner of some of them is... so if anyone wants me to remove them, just let me know.

Heya!

Doing good, :D Buried in snow, but good, haha!

Well, I'm glad I came to the same conclusion about the hip pouches, lol! The more I stared at photos I knew it wasn't anything I've seen. They looked in too good of shape to be anything WWI or WWII anyway.

Fwiw, I like the fan made hip pouches. I think if we're right and the hip pouches are props, then the fan made ones you show are spot on. I would wear them and call them screen accurate for sure. In fact, I've sent a mail (but never got a reply... :() about getting two of those pouches for my move along build.

I suppose Solla pouches would pass for accurate too. There are so many variances in the TD from scene to scene that no fan (outside us uber-geeks and TD lover's) would ever notice details that minute. :D

As far as Canvas pouches go, I do believe that in ANH that is a REAL WWII dark green (possibly weathered and dyed darker or black) MP40 pouch on his shoulder. I've looked at mine that I got off Manion's from a buddy for about 2% of what they should really cost and I'm positive. Also, after finding out the real price of them, I doubt I will troop with mine... Just one pouch is worth more than the entire suit, LOL! I'm on a mission to dress a mannequin up in WWII apparel...

Probably going to get some of these

Posted Image

instead of toting around history. It was a good idea at the time, but... I changed my mind and wanna keep the MP40 pouch for private now, lol! Those ones in th epic look pretty good. They are as close of a replica as I could find. Still not awesome, but good enough I think after a bit of spray paint or dye.

Thx man!

Great input there!

And yeah... we had a similar discussion about canvas pouches at the same time and we though (I do personally) that this iconic canvas shoulder pouch is a real WWII green pouch. We came to the conclusion that it looks black/dark due to two things: Real use... I mean, weapons oil, dirt, mud and all things it likely went through during real action; and color correction of the film.

As you most likely know, many things in film appear a different color or shade after color correction processes and in different exposures. Shooting white armors under very clear skies would have forced the cinematographer to make other colors appear darker or even in a different hue. Just like Hans brown parka in ESB appears blue...

Anyway...

if you have a contact to get another accurate real WWII pouch, maybe you should contact Art Andrews over here or at his site. He has been looking for one like that for some time, and he will use it for display only.

Great to have this little discussions back alive!

This is my second favorite part in the hobby only next to actually building armor and parts.

Saludos.

Thx man!

Great input there!

And yeah... we had a similar discussion about canvas pouches at the same time and we though (I do personally) that this iconic canvas shoulder pouch is a real WWII green pouch. We came to the conclusion that it looks black/dark due to two things: Real use... I mean, weapons oil, dirt, mud and all things it likely went through during real action; and color correction of the film.

As you most likely know, many things in film appear a different color or shade after color correction processes and in different exposures. Shooting white armors under very clear skies would have forced the cinematographer to make other colors appear darker or even in a different hue. Just like Hans brown parka in ESB appears blue...

Anyway...

if you have a contact to get another accurate real WWII pouch, maybe you should contact Art Andrews over here or at his site. He has been looking for one like that for some time, and he will use it for display only.

Great to have this little discussions back alive!

This is my second favorite part in the hobby only next to actually building armor and parts.

Saludos.

Here's probably the best "commercially available" representation of the pouch that is seen in ANH on his shoulder. Notice the price, however... I'm still not 100% sure about these pouches though... The stitching on the straps seems not right to me and they are in remarkably good condition even if they never made it to combat use... However, if it's as the seller says and these were a late war production for Luftwaffe only... Then they may really be real WWII MP40 pouches. I believe this may be identical to what GL used for "Move Along".

http://www.thingsmilitary.com/field-equipment/wwii-luftwaffe-issue-mp-38/40-magazine-pouches/

A few places that I would trust are:

www.manions.com

http://www.svmilitaria.com/GermanWWIIEquipment.htm (which has an MP34 pouch that I original thought was a that hip pouch...)

Best place to look for them are military surplus places (dudes there might have more ideas on where to find them too), and auction houses geared towards memorabilia and such items.

Some reference pages:

http://www.collectorsmilitaria.com/mp38_mp40_ammo_pouch_complete_with_3_magazines_and_speed_loader_111209.htm

(If any of you didn't know what that little pouch on the side was for... it's for small tools, but more importantly, the reloader for the magazines.)

http://www.mp40.nl/index.php?page=pouches

(This is probably the best piece of literature on the internet about MP40 pouches. Period. If you look about halfway down or so you'll see a battle worn DARK BLUE 3 mag Type 1 MP40 pouch... Looks just like Move Along's hey?)

I know some will say I'm wrong, but whatever... I know the Stolla Wein pouch LOOKS like a pretty good match, but it's just like that hip pouch that none of us can identify. It's probably a prop, lol! The sewing is all wrong on the screen used one (Stolla's were sewn along all outer edges, hence the nice, sharp, square shape unlike the screen prop) and the screen ones look too long to be a Stolla to me. Also, the bottom edge isn't sewn... I still say prop.

Screenie for reference:

http://www.looksirdroids.com/hd_caps/pages/sandtrooper_hd_047.htm

Awesome!

That pouch looks great, but it is not 100% identical to the one used on screen.

The stitching on the flaps' straps is squared and the one on the screen used are inverted U shape.

However,

I think the one circled in red is the one identical to the screen used.

The one in blue looks very close to but with different color leather straps.

post-1761-0-91382600-1321565844_thumb.jp

I will be studying and reading all these info new to me!

Thx for sharing...

Saludos.

Not all MP40 pouches had upside down U stitching on the straps. Some did have full box stitching which indicates later era pouches. The early generation pouches had upside down U's for sure.

Hopefully everyone can now see how thick the original WWII era canvas was though... they are very sturdy and I'm pretty sure (99.9%) that and original was used on screen for a shoulder pouch. However, it brings about the question of whether or not we should be dictating that people need to use an original for a screen accurate suit. I think it's a silly idea as the prices of the pouch, not to mention the historic value of a combat worn one, is insanely high... I think any good repro that has the small tool pouch sewn on properly should suffice. $40-60 is about all a guy should pay for one too, makes it much more palatable, lol!

Cheers!

• 10 months later...