Kaptin Kaos' TD Build

Kaptin Kaos

Hey all!

I figured I would fire up a build thread (not sure if it's in the right area though... couldn't find a sub-forum specifically for builds... If this is in the wrong area, plz move it!) as I'm expecting to receive a sweet, sweet brown box of goodies in the next few weeks/months containing a full kit of ATA for my TD build, :D

I've been basically a lifelong fan of white armor and also a 3 yr lurker on whitearmor.net. Just recently I finally finished my first build of an AM suit which is posted here on the FISD. I'm hoping to begin gathering the last few bits of intel on where to buy/where to find/how to do all of the little tidbits I've yet to discover with your help, :D

So far I've been content to at last be trooping and a part of the freakin' awesome trooper community, but this winter I'm going to take it to the next level, lol! I'll be revamping my TK for EIB status and obviously working on my TD build.

Things I have already started:

My pack - Missing certain things and need to tweak others. I will post some pics as soon as I get home from the field. I'd say it's about 40% done.

Boots - My second set of TKBoots is in the mail, :D

Armor - Going with ATA. Had a lot of fun making that AM kit fit my 150lb 6'1" frame, but have substituted the AM lid with an ATA and love it! I've been in contact off and on with ATA about a full kit for my TD and am happy with the product and price. (SO stoked to get my hands on a screen derived set!!!)

Things I have yet to get:

A selection of heavy weapons... I'm having an UBER hard time finding resin replica's that are affordable and may just try my hand at building my own T-21 BFG. I'm hoping to compliment it with a resin MG-34 or begin research on building one from scratch.

Pack parts - Radio, proper sized wipes bottles, toilet tube thingy, and other tiny bits (more to see with pics)

Pauldron - Pretty sure I wanna do a Captain with a "Move Along" lid, but not completely decided yet...

Weathering Paints - I plan on going pretty dirty, probably a lot similar to Pandatrooper's weathering style.

So, with an intro out of the way I can just say that I'm glad I finally broke the ice over here! Thanks for any and all help from all of you and I promise I will make this thread as pic heavy as I can, lol!

Cheers!

Good luck with the build. Doing my TD with an ATA kit, excellent armor. Personally I find the ATA helmet a bit to small. Im 6ft 4 and probably have an over sized head. lol. Any chance of seeing a side by side comparrison of the two helmets? I might invest in an AM one for comfort.

Good luck with the build. Doing my TD with an ATA kit, excellent armor. Personally I find the ATA helmet a bit to small. Im 6ft 4 and probably have an over sized head. lol. Any chance of seeing a side by side comparrison of the two helmets? I might invest in an AM one for comfort.

Yep! Here's a pic of the two before I finished my TK.

Posted Image

Yep... That's why I replaced it with an ATA, lol! The screen derived lids are much smaller and much better scaled to an average frame imho.

Music to my ears! I'm waiting for my ATA kit and am neither the tallest nor big headed. Can't wait to get it!!

DUDE! A buddy and I are just starting our R2 builds too... LOL! I see a busy winter full of white plastic bits for me, :D

White plastic...styrene then I guess? If you're not allready on astromech.net now is the time ;) Especially if you'd like a dome. The styrene dome run is closed, but there is both an alu dome run going and a new fiberglass dome run in the process. Should you choose the dark dark path of the aluminium build James (com8) just opened a new run of the com8a frame (the one I have). Welcome to the hobby mate - cool to have buds in both forums :)

White plastic...styrene then I guess? If you're not allready on astromech.net now is the time ;) Especially if you'd like a dome. The styrene dome run is closed, but there is both an alu dome run going and a new fiberglass dome run in the process. Should you choose the dark dark path of the aluminium build James (com8) just opened a new run of the com8a frame (the one I have). Welcome to the hobby mate - cool to have buds in both forums :)

Already on there under the same sig, just haven't posted anything yet, lol! And yes, styrene as I don't have my own machine shop, nor the $$$ to throw at an all aluminum build. My buddy just ordered his dome (aluminum) and I'm procrastinating on ordering mine. My plans are printed, but I haven't even gotten my 3mm sheets yet. Been stuck in the field since Sept 12... :( I should be home in a week though and then it's game on for days off. My router attachment for my dremel is gonna get a ridiculous workout, lol! Thanks and cheers!

P.S. - What's ur handle over there?

Already on there under the same sig, just haven't posted anything yet, lol! And yes, styrene as I don't have my own machine shop, nor the $$$ to throw at an all aluminum build. My buddy just ordered his dome (aluminum) and I'm procrastinating on ordering mine. My plans are printed, but I haven't even gotten my 3mm sheets yet. Been stuck in the field since Sept 12... :( I should be home in a week though and then it's game on for days off. My router attachment for my dremel is gonna get a ridiculous workout, lol! Thanks and cheers!

P.S. - What's ur handle over there?

Sweet! I'm Norlemann123 over there ;) If you plan to build your frame from styrene I'd ask around if the alu dome might be a bit heavy. I don't know, but I'd check if I was you. An alternative is wood frame/legs in kit form. Cheap and sturdy. See you over there ;)

When are you scheduled for your ATA kit? I get mine late november i hope.

Sweet! I'm Norlemann123 over there ;) If you plan to build your frame from styrene I'd ask around if the alu dome might be a bit heavy. I don't know, but I'd check if I was you. An alternative is wood frame/legs in kit form. Cheap and sturdy. See you over there ;)

When are you scheduled for your ATA kit? I get mine late november i hope.

That's exactly the reason why I'm procrastinating. I'm in no rush whatsoever with my R2 build as it's more or less just going to be an addition to my Star Wars/Man Cave/office with potential use for ComiCon use when acting as a handler, lol! My buddy that ordered the aluminum dome is also doing a styrene chassis so I think I'll build my chassis and wait to see how he makes out with his... LOL! I didn't want to be the guinea pig, ;) I may also do what you say and build the core from a bit sturdier material such as 2X2 or even some boxed aluminum. I need to get my hands on my styrene and build the chassis first before I can identify what I need to upgrade/beef up.

I've been on the wait list for my ATA for a few months now, but I suspect I'll be firing off my paypal and having it sent sometime in Nov as well. From what I know, he's finally gotten his supply of ABS in and has started pulling the kits so it shouldn't be long for anyone who was waiting, yay!

That's exactly the reason why I'm procrastinating. I'm in no rush whatsoever with my R2 build as it's more or less just going to be an addition to my Star Wars/Man Cave/office with potential use for ComiCon use when acting as a handler, lol! My buddy that ordered the aluminum dome is also doing a styrene chassis so I think I'll build my chassis and wait to see how he makes out with his... LOL! I didn't want to be the guinea pig, ;) I may also do what you say and build the core from a bit sturdier material such as 2X2 or even some boxed aluminum. I need to get my hands on my styrene and build the chassis first before I can identify what I need to upgrade/beef up.

I've been on the wait list for my ATA for a few months now, but I suspect I'll be firing off my paypal and having it sent sometime in Nov as well. From what I know, he's finally gotten his supply of ABS in and has started pulling the kits so it shouldn't be long for anyone who was waiting, yay!

I'm working on making my T better, as well as getting on e ready for SWAT. That is going to take some time.

Do it!! :D It's a perfect father/son project. With your fabrication skills it will be childsplay ;)

thanks for the vote of confidence man....maybe when my son gets a little bit older. then i can have the little one help out as well. Ive seen some of the stuff built and I cant even imagine how it must feel when complete :)

Thanks Terry! This one won't go nearly as fast as my AM build though, lol! I'm spending most of my time out here at work sourcing parts for my pack and looking at pouches, etc... It's a tough job I have, I know... LOL! I think the thing that will take me the longest is the blaster builds. I could try and find someone who's selling a BFG, but I think I'd rather build one. I think it's half the fun... and being able to say you made it yourself is pretty cool!

Says it's a replica bud. :)

And the flaps on the three cells (#1) should be straight across, not tapered.

That smaller pouch wasn't right either, it's missing the strap (#3)... which looks like the three cell straps (#2).

Posted Image

I saw one of these on ebay recently (the real thing) ... But the guy wanted (I think) something like $600 for it!

Says it's a replica bud. :)

And the flaps on the three cells (#1) should be straight across, not tapered.

That smaller pouch wasn't right either, it's missing the strap (#3)... which looks like the three cell straps (#2).

Posted Image

I saw one of these on ebay recently (the real thing) ... But the guy wanted (I think) something like $600 for it!

I know it says it's a replica... The link I posted isn't to the ones I have purchased for myself. Thanks for your helpful insights, but I know my pouches. I'm an avid WWII enthusiast. When I get my pouches from my buddy at the auction house I will post pictures. I just see a lot of fan-made repro's on here that look like the ones in that link I posted, thought I would share.