Lucasfilm changes original Star Wars trilogy again

iron ram

Hit the link

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20100085-1/lucasfilm-changes-original-star-wars-trilogy-again/

I've got a bad feeling about this.

(Credit: Lucasfilm)

Obi-Wan Kenobi may have been jolted out of his bed this morning by the millions of voices complaining about rumored changes to the original trilogy in the Star Wars Blu-ray collection, which will be available on September 16.

Entertainment blogger Devin Faraci was first to confirm with several sources that there will be several adjustments to the classic sci-fi movies: one for the original "Star Wars" (Episode IV), and two in "Return of the Jedi" (Episode VI). The New York Times has confirmed with Lucasfilm that changes are happening. To add even more fuel to the fire, there is video.

The most significant alteration is a change to RotJ, in which Darth Vader now yells "Nooo! Nooo!" as he lifts up the Emperor, who is electrocuting Luke Skywalker aboard the Death Star II. The response online to this change has been severely negative. Even the Amazon listing for the Star Wars Blu-ray collection has dozens of negative reviews based on this one update alone.

One Star Wars fan puts it quite bluntly. "With one of these new changes (the 'Noooooo' added to the climax of "Return of the Jedi") he has destroyed the dramatic impact of one of the most iconic scenes in American film history," writes Cody Clarke on Amazon. "This is embarrassing. What a waste of a release. I won't even get into the other changes, because that change is enough for a 1-star review."

There is nothing but pages of 1-star reviews for the first several pages of the Amazon listing.

Another rumored difference is Obi-Wan Kenobi's first introduction in the original "Star Wars" movie. Obi first appears as a hooded figure walking oddly over a hill, using the force to simulate a Krayt Dragon cry to scare Tusken Raiders away from Luke Skywalker. In the revised version, the cry is different, carrying a longer, shriller tone.

Lastly, there is also word that Ewoks now blink in RotJ. They still creep me out.

What do you think of the changes, if they are indeed true?

I´m not into all this new stuff add on a history piece of art, i´m not sure i will buy them.

As i only see the real versions, of the old saga on dvd any way :)

(personal i hate all the new made scenes, in the SE versions)

The original laserdiscs are the only way to watch the trilogy. I transferred the laserdiscs to DVD years ago when the news of the SE changes was announced. Never been able to stomach the SE's. I'll still be buying the Blurays though, but only for the extras.

Believe it or not I have a neighbor that is in his early 30s and has never seen any of the star wars movies

But I dont want him to see this trash first

I have been looking for the VHS copy so he can see the real thing

You don´t need VHS, you can get the old saga on DVD in the real versions, where no damage have been done to them.

They are the only versions i see ;)

I was so excited to see these movies on blu ray....my fiancé has been reluctant to watch the whole series and I know it would be an easier sell for her to sit through a blu ray. I guess we will always have our originals to go back to. Bummed he's changing stuff but at least it will help keep the fire burning for the next generation. That to me is the most important thing :)

When push comes to shove they are his movies and he should be able to make the changes he wants. That being said, you'd think he would have taken into consideration all the negativity that surrounded the SE and would have released the originals on Blu-ray. Or at least made the changes he wanted and then given the consumer the choice to buy the re-vapmed version or the original. There is a version of the DVDs that have both the SE and the original versions any reason he couldn't have done with with the blu-ray?

I have the original on VHS and I busted it out the other day and watched it on my 82" it still roxxxx!!! the SE to me is like watching a cartoon. not to mention the goofy jabba scene in the docking bay hated that scene... but I always feel good about Star Wars everytime I watch my original VHS tape...

QUOTE:One Star Wars fan puts it quite bluntly. "With one of these new changes (the 'Noooooo'

Lastly, there is also word that Ewoks now blink in RotJ. They still creep me out.

END QUOTE.

IMHO, EWOKS :ewok1: were THE SINGLE WORST Life-form created in ROTJ, let alone the fact that they played such a central role :angry: The fact that the script allowed obese "Teddy-Bears" armed with stone age weapons defeat highly Mobile and heavily Armored Troops and equipment :atat: was completely implausible. I'm 53 y.o. and I have a very intact memory of people in the theater exclaiming "are you kidding me" (it was actually more vulgar).... people even walked out. Probably, the only facet of ROTJ I liked, was the coming to terms/deliverance/death of Vader, and the interaction with Luke.

Unlike the angst, sorrow, and Uncertain future for the Rebellion at the end of ESB; ROTJ was a cute and cuddly warm and fuzzy, everybody feels good at the end "crowd pleaser" and a stroke of marketing genius for Christmas. I'm afraid that all the "added scenes, and effects' are just that..marketing, with little added value. Its like an attractive 40 yo. woman trying to dress ( and often act) like shes 20, it comes off badly, and original charm and grace is polluted. IRON RAM: you are spot-on. If this course is continued, the saga will loose its original value....and self destruct. Sci-Fi Classic such as "The Thing" and "The day the Earth stood still" are perfect examples of what becomes of a classic when its re-written to please modern appetites for Hi Zoot production design and effects, graphic violence, or socially correct value statements. This could very well happen to "The greatest Saga" ever told.

" Sushi, and Steak Tar Tar are acquired tastes......you don't put Ketchup on them...you like them as they are in the pure form or not at all" Vito ;)

Recruit TD Vito :td:

QUOTE:One Star Wars fan puts it quite bluntly. "With one of these new changes (the 'Noooooo'

END QUOTE.

IMHO, EWOKS :ewok1: were THE SINGLE WORST Life-form created in ROTJ, let alone the fact that they played such a central role :angry: The fact that the script allowed obese "Teddy-Bears" armed with stone age weapons defeat highly Mobile and heavily Armored Troops and equipment :atat: was completely implausible. I'm 53 y.o. and I have a very intact memory of people in the theater exclaiming "are you kidding me" (it was actually more vulgar).... people even walked out. Probably, the only facet of ROTJ I liked, was the coming to terms/deliverance/death of Vader, and the interaction with Luke.

Unlike the angst, sorrow, and Uncertain future for the Rebellion at the end of ESB; ROTJ was a cute and cuddly warm and fuzzy, everybody feels good at the end "crowd pleaser" and a stroke of marketing genius for Christmas. I'm afraid that all the "added scenes, and effects' are just that..marketing, with little added value. Its like an attractive 40 yo. woman trying to dress ( and often act) like shes 20, it comes off badly, and original charm and grace is polluted. My son is 24, a NAVY pilot, and a HUGE FAN, he commented to me the other day, "ya know dad, STORMTROOPERS where so much cooler and EFFECTIVE in the Novels , then on the screen.. they would have slaughtered EWOKS by the by the 1000's". IRON RAM: you are spot-on. If this course is continued, the saga will loose its original value....and self destruct. Sci-Fi Classic such as "The Thing" and "The day the Earth stood still" are perfect examples of what becomes of a classic when its re-written to please modern appetites for Hi Zoot production design and effects, graphic violence, or socially correct value statements. This could very well happen to "The greatest Saga" ever told.

" Sushi, and Steak Tar Tar are acquired tastes......you don't put Ketchup on them...you like them as they are in the pure form or not at all" Vito ;)

Recruit TD Vito :td:

I like the Ewoks, But I hate what Lucas is doing to the movies....I have mine on VHS and DVDs and wont buy the newer versions...I want to remember the movies as I saw them many eons ago and I hate it that he has changed them again!!!' :angry:

Diana(ShortTRooper )