My I humbly suggest Guts from any old Electronic toy or Gadget as good bet as well. As the XO pointed out, I was amazed to find out how so many of the props were sourced. I build BLACK HAWK Helicopters, a Flying Prop shop!. I was just looking at a bunch of DEWBACK Prod Tips earlier.

RECRUIT TD VITO :td:

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the original used in the film from the Kurtz Joiner archive (upper left pic).

http://www.kurtzjoinerarchive.com/starwarsarchive.html

Its actually not as cone shaped as I thought. Looks a lot like a bearing seat of some kind.

To me this part looks very much like the bearing seat from a bicycle's steering column ;)

On a different note I'm actually fiddling with the idea of using such a bearing set up on my astromech. The setup we use today involves some intensely crappy and noisy turntable bearings. With a center column bearing like that on a bike we could eliminate that noise - AND the part would become a real part of a droid, haha :D

Oh and bearing parts like this are conical. Another name for them is cones.

Not entirely true. Before sealed bearings came along, old school ones used a bearing seat like the one shown, with "loose" ball bearings held in place wurh a stamped sheet metal race. These were commonly seen and used on old machine parts, axles, bicycles etc.

Not entirely true. Before sealed bearings came along, old school ones used a bearing seat like the one shown, with "loose" ball bearings held in place wurh a stamped sheet metal race. These were commonly seen and used on old machine parts, axles, bicycles etc.

True - the modern ones are more like a cone shaped needle bearing, right? The old ones used ball bearings and thus were the shape seen here. I am SO going to rip one of the next old bike I see in a skip or at the salvage yard :)

Yeah, I know. I used to strip, clean, regrease, and reassemble the ball bearings out of my headsets and bottom brackets when I used to race bikes. My point is they have a tapered surface to facilitate a close fit through adjustment. Cones are another name for these bearing races. As in cup and cone bearings.

• 1 month later...