radio hinges?

Robster

I use magnets as well, but have to change it up a bit. I have had two incidents where I bumped into something and the faceplate fell off. My speaker came apart, but I was able to fix. I have to get a way to where it wont bump off.

I used 4 cabinet magnets. They are super strong and wont break apart if bumped, man, even I need to use some real strengh to take them apart. And secure them with the wire too.Here is my build in case it may be useful. http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7431Saludos

I approached the detachable radio face plate 2 ways:

On a recent backpack commission build, I simply made an aluminum bar that ran across the width of the inner radio box, and attached to the insides of the box with L brackets and rivets. The bar was positioned just under the radio faceplate.

The middle of the bar was tapped with a threaded hole where it lined up with the radio knob on the outside (the knob on the left). The customer was in a bit of a rush so for the knob I simply used a bottle cap (the green ones shown here are caps from a pump paintball storage tube), but you can easily drill a hole and glue the threaded bolt to whatever knob you are using. Now simply screw the knob into place over the radio faceplate and it will be held securely in place. This knob with the bolt glued in place is shown in the first photo, threaded end pointing up resting on the bar.

There is no way the faceplate will come off unless you unscrew the knob.

Posted Image

Posted Image

One my personal pack, I used a slightly different method. I bent an aluminum L bracket and bolted it to the inside of the radio box. The bolt is hardly seen as it's up against the cistern and the bolt is painted black.

At the end of the L bracket is a steel washer bolted in place. This is one half of a "rare earth magnet cup and washer" set. This amplifies the clamping power of the rare earth magnet by quite a bit. The magnet and washer are simply bolted in place through the faceplate and into the knob on the outside.

Posted Image

This setup takes slightly more time to line everything up, but it's rock solid. You need to pull the face plate off with both hands with effort, and it has never every fallen off. It's that strong!

I use it to store legion PR flyers and giveaways for kids. :)