Some Observations

TK4702

Hi guys!

Love this site, lot's of fun!

Posted Image

I'm now in the process of constructing my 1st field pack! And I'm really excited to get started on it! But with anything that I am new too, I want to make sure I'm doing it right ... so not to embarrass myself in front of the experts! ;) So I've been conducting my research on the various components of the pack, studying and dissecting each version, etc. I know that many TD costumer's choose to use the Wet Wipes bottles, which I've noticed to be tapered towards the bottom. And from what I can tell, the screen used field pack bottles were straight. Also, I've noticed that they had a rounded shape to them towards the top. So I've been on a mad hunt through every local shop for something closer to screen accurate than the wipes bottle. And I think I may have found what I'm looking for, but I still would like your opinions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Multi-vitamin bottles above measure about 3 1/4", but they have one slightly larger that I might check out (below).

Posted Image

You are correct man....nice catch....I've actually started using a medium sized water bottle in my builds. The main reason most use the wetwipes is its cost effective and readily available. I've also used a Lysol wipes bottle cut down but it doesn't have the rounded top. An additional cool thing about the (non wetwipes) route is that you can place the mushroom cap on the lid and unscrew it. Provides a great place for storing id's keys and xash.

Yep, was thinging the same. Just make sure to get the screw tops, and not the pop off hinge type lids. Also, the blue plastic bottles aren't as soft as the wipe bottles, and should not only take paint better.... But hold up better for traveling, etc.

So here's a question... do they make different sized pudding bowls? The one's I got off ebay just showed up, and they not only have the wrong shape, they seem smaller than expected. If they were larger, I could sand the rims down a bit and they would have the perfect shape. However, due to the size .... they would just be too small at that point. So my question is do they make larger one's? These measure about 3 3/4" across the opening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, the plastic cups are smaller in all cases I have seen...

Must of us use mushroom caps that were specially made for packs. You can contact several makers here... from the top of my mind Crashmann, Dirty Boy, Quartermaster and MrBoJangles are known to have or make this parts.

for the bottle I used Armor All wipies bottle. It seems to be better size and shape wise for the Move ALong pack... not for some others anyway...

Lets see what ideas others may have.

:D

Saludos

The small order handling fee is $10, plus shipping. But...

Here is a plastic bottle source, less than 80 cents for a HDPE plastic bottle. Black plastic lids are 17 cents ea.

B670

Color: White

Size: 750 cc

Material: HDPE

Case Pack: 99

Neck finish: 53-400

Height: 6.572"

Diameter: 3.472"

Posted Image

Although slightly smaller, this one might be a better material for paint, priced at $1.06 each. The bottom of the bottle is also more accurate.

B681

Color: Clear

Size: 500 cc

Material: PET

Case Pack: 140

Neck finish: 53-400

Length: 5.5"

Height: 5.291"

Diameter: 3.038"

Posted Image

Two more contenders, although the top isn't as rounded off... It appears to be the correct size.

J106

Color: Amber

Size: 32 oz

Case Pack: 105

Neck finish: 89-400

Height: 6.63"

Diameter: 3.634"

Posted Image

J115

Color: Clear

Size: 32 oz

Case Pack: 105

Neck finish: 89-400

Height: 6.594"

Diameter: 3.641"

Posted Image

Nice job Jess! I like the bottles you have found.

I have been using aluminum water bottles. They take paint very well obviously and I like to add a few dings and dents in them as part of the weathering.

I saw that on one of your threads, very cool idea! I would love to do the same, but I couldn't find aluminum bottles at the size I wanted.

Next part I will be working on is the exhaust port. The rounded edges almost have the shape of a bottle for motor oil. Flat on the end with a large rounded bevel. Originally I picked up a project box from Radio Shack, but the bevel wasn't large enough. And the box really didn't seem long enough either. So What I might do is cut down a plastic motor oil bottle, and glue some plastic sheets on the three open sides.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know what the original found part for the box was?

Posted Image

Wow, really cool find on the plastic bottles! Once I use up my remaining Wet Ones, I'll be sure to add them to my kits. Now what should I do with that lifetime supply of Wet Ones wipes...

The actual part for the exhaust port has not been identified. I pull it on the vac table, but it always has some webbing that shows up. Not a big deal, but it requires some sanding to smooth out.

I like your motor oil bottle idea. With a little trimming and gluing, that should make a fine housing. Just be sure to clean all of the oil out, otherwise the glue won't stick. The most tedious part of the housing is gluing on those tiny 45° triangles.

Charlie

So thinking more about this. I'm guessing that all the packs used the same bottle as the one without the mushroom cap. A pill bottle would require heavy modification in order for the mushroom cap to fit. A bottle like a shampoo bottle would have a cap that sits perfectly in the mushroom cap space. Just a thought

I don't know, I think these will do just fine (below).

I received the bottles I ordered, The clear one's were too small. The two with a larger opening were too big. The one's I have pictured are perfect. I just wish they were made out of the same clear plastic, it would take the paint much better. But I'll make it work, and if I find anything better I'll let you all know.

Posted Image

I purchased a few off ebay, we'll see how they look.

What do you think of this? These are PVC pipe end caps, got 'em at Lowes for 93 cents ea.... stacked in a certain way they look like burger stackers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also found this electrical tubing that looks a lot like the Exhaust port tubing. I'm starting to believe that the box was an electrical circuit box, for switches or jumpers.

Posted Image

Posted Image