Need a little help

TK728

Just curious, been looking over some sites and other info...and I am wondering what peoples take on AP armor vs. RT-Mod Armor is? Is either considered more durable/reliable? Which is more cost effective? (I don't mind paying when the time comes, but I always like the most out of my dollar) I have had some bad experiences in the past with internet orders and such...so when the time comes and I do track down a kit. I want to be certain about where I go. One upside for me is that both are in Canada :D

I don't know anything about RT-Mod but I am very happy with my AP armor. It has it's challenges (but from what I've read most of them do). It was my first set and I was able to overcome the issues (pieces not lining up and having to heat mold the shoulders a bit). Like everyone is probably going to tell you, just take your time and you'll be fine regardless.

RT Mod is based in BC, and AP is based in Montreal (I think). I'm in BC and I currently have ATA armor.

I have dealt with RT-Mod before. Great service, great guy. He is an airline pilot and makes armor for fun, so he does them in batches and it might take some time to respond, but he always does. His stuff is ABS, slightly bigger in size for bigger troopers and ABS.

AP is derived from the TE / ROTJ / tour suit lineage and also in ABS. I have purchased an AP helmet before and while the helmet was decent, the rubber trim, mic tips and lens were not the best quality, plus I got destroyed on shipping (even though it was within Canada). He was also quite slow with delivery.

You can read some points re: armor suppliers

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11538&st=0

My personal opinion: if you are of typical trooper height (5'8" - 5'11" and 140 - 180 lbs), get ATA ABS armor. Cost effective, great service and supplies accurate accessories. If you are a slightly bigger build, go for RT mod.

Thanks for the replies! They aren't the only places I have considered no...but I live in eastern Canada so going further away is going to hurt shipping wise big time. Being on an island has it's distinct disadvantages :P I didn't know RT was in BC though....AP is much closer to me. As for my size I'm 5'11"/6' and 185 lbs exactly (well this morning I was :P)

Though if his stuff is very good I don't mind going for BC....I could possibly be posted there anyway once I get through Depot :P I'll take a look at that site too. Any other advice for an admitted kit newbie? What other places were you thinking about Dirty?

I personally feel that the armor quality is better with AP than with the ATA suit. The helmet issues Panda brings up are true, but overall i feel the AP armor is better (i own both AP and ATA). But, the ATA was an easier build.

However, 1 thing that biases my view is i am pretty skinny (5'11" and 155lbs) so the AP armor fits me like a glove. I had to trim down the ATA suit a TON to get it to fit. I could easily have fit it if i was more like 200lbs.

Hmm...well I'm about 5'11" 185 lbs. I have a 32" waist and leg...and I need a belt with 32" jeans so, I presume I would be okay with something like AP armor. Though with zero experience modifying things like this and no one in my province who has any either (that I know anyway) I would like to snag a kit that doesn't require alot of changing....outside trimming and dirtying up and assembly.

In anycase it narrows things down alot when the time comes :) thanks for the advice! I'll have to check out that link again too.

Hmm...well I'm about 5'11" 185 lbs. I have a 32" waist and leg...and I need a belt with 32" jeans so, I presume I would be okay with something like AP armor. Though with zero experience modifying things like this and no one in my province who has any either (that I know anyway) I would like to snag a kit that doesn't require alot of changing....outside trimming and dirtying up and assembly.

In anycase it narrows things down alot when the time comes :) thanks for the advice! I'll have to check out that link again too.

You will probably be fine with ATA or AP. AP fits me like a glove, so if you are bigger it may be kind of tight.

I sent a mail to ATA inquiring about their stuff....my one worry though is shipping across the border to Canada. Won't that be killer? Then again I haven't really ordered anything large to be shipped before like that, which is why I was leaning to Canada side makers....I suppose I should find out about shipping costs too eh?

I sent a mail to ATA inquiring about their stuff....my one worry though is shipping across the border to Canada. Won't that be killer? Then again I haven't really ordered anything large to be shipped before like that, which is why I was leaning to Canada side makers....I suppose I should find out about shipping costs too eh?

Yup. AP to USA was only like $45 or 50 i think

Yup. AP to USA was only like $45 or 50 i think

50 bucks? well thats ALOT lower than I expected XD Thats completely do-able. I'm just checking up on Fed Ex now myself. Still won't be able to make any kind of a buy until I get my call for training anyhow (want to make sure I know income will be steady first :D) Though ATA did give me a quote today too which wasn't bad at all :)

50 bucks? well thats ALOT lower than I expected XD Thats completely do-able. I'm just checking up on Fed Ex now myself. Still won't be able to make any kind of a buy until I get my call for training anyhow (want to make sure I know income will be steady first :D) Though ATA did give me a quote today too which wasn't bad at all :)

ATA is by far the best deal out there i think.