Nick's Armour build

nick.black

OK Guys and Girls, I think its about time I introduce myself and start a thread that will document what I am trying to achieve.

I'm Nick Black, Im 31 and live in Ipswich in the UK. I have been lurking on the forums here and there for about 2 years, gathering tips and tricks on how to go about making my armour. I decided a while back that I wanted to go Sandy, but I wasnt sure whether the expense would work out too much. I started a T-21 following Terrys brilliant tutorial and what I produced turned out pretty good, and that was pretty much no turning back from there, Sandtrooper was the way for me.

At present I have ordered my ATA armour from Terrell and am just waiting for him to give me the nod that it is ready, shoule be a couple more weeks, but have started collecting all the bits and pieces that need to go with it in the meantime. See below:

I am going to try and do something that I am not sure anyone has done yet, and that is, as a complete novice trooper, build my armour and try and get it cleared by 501st, MEPD and SWAT deployed all in one go. It will be hard, but I feel there are so many great tutorials and build threads with peoples expertise out there that this is a totally do-able task. So wish me luck and I will be posting updates here along the way.

My T-21 alongside 2x E-11, one weathered with a Hengstler (Doopydoos full resin kit) and 1 with no Hengstler and painted like new (Pipe build with Doopydoos resin parts).

Posted Image

Pouches, MP40 pouch, dyed black, Small spanish pouches came courtesy of Zac Sotman (thanks again mate), and a medium Spanish pouch I got on ebay.

Posted Image

Pauldron from shouldrpauldrons.com and TK Boots size 10.

Posted Image

I am going for SWAT deployment as the "STOP THAT SHIP!" trooper, due to my T-21.

Backpack is currently having a new frame but then will be ready to show you guys very soon.

All the best and thanks for looking.

Nick

Nick

Take your time and do it right and it should be a piece of cake. When we built the ‘TK-In-A-Day’ over

on the UKG, we built it up to EIB standards straight out of the box, no compromise, do it right from the start. Posted Image

Centurion / SWAT is the same principal, just make sure you cover off all the requirements as you go and you

should sail through mate. Posted Image

Good luck, and if you need anything then just holler Posted Image

Welcome man!

And going "all at once" is really a good way to do it! It's what I'm trying for with Centurion on the FISD, and is actually a lot easier than trying to mod something that you've already "done incorrectly." B)

Looks like you've got a great start, and ATA is a great set of armor, so you should be rockin' and rollin' (in the dirt and sand) soon!

Nick

Take your time and do it right and it should be a piece of cake. When we built the ‘TK-In-A-Day’ over

on the UKG, we built it up to EIB standards straight out of the box, no compromise, do it right from the start. Posted Image

Centurion / SWAT is the same principal, just make sure you cover off all the requirements as you go and you

should sail through mate. Posted Image

Good luck, and if you need anything then just holler Posted Image

i salute you billy! :salute: nick,this guy really knows his stuff,and has been a total "rock" to me ! take his advice,and you'll be rocking buddy!! :td:

OK I have just about finished my pack, so wanted to show you some pics of it. The only thing Im missing now is the TD caps and plate, which I will get when my armour arrives.

Here's the pack in all its glory:

Posted Image

The radio faceplate, scratch made using a mixture of 3mm, 2mm and 1mm styrene, and various drinks lids for the knobs. The switches are fully working (from Maplin).

Posted Image

Real 3.5mm headphone jacks on the side.

Posted Image

Inside of the radio, with a MP3 speaker that I picked up on Ebay for 99p. It comes out fairly loud. I have the trooper radio chatter on loop.

Posted Image

Screen installed behind the radio speaker.

Posted Image

Black disc behind the real tupperware lid/radar dish.

Posted Image

Shotgun shells, laid out to exactly match the "Move along" trooper positioning.]

Posted Image

Scratch built exhaust port out of 1mm styrene and various pipe and funnel parts.

Posted Image

Tape cross on Tool Box. Tool box again scratch made out of 2mm clear acrylic panel I had left over from another project.

Posted Image

Bee Stinger mounted using alluminium brackets.

Posted Image

Nipple on top of upper cup.

Posted Image

Square details on top of Siphon.

Posted Image

Hope this has been of interest to someone. I'm more than happy to explain anything Ive done if anyone wants to know.

Like I said it will be finished off properly ready to troop with once I get the TD plate and caps.

Nick

Thanks mate. It was pretty easy to make. Like I said the speaker was 99p off ebay, and runs off 2 AA batteries. I already had the MP3 player, from long ago. The foam was about £2. It works really well.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

My ATA armour arrived today (thanks again Terrell) so I'm a very happy boy today. Very daunting though to look at all the work I have to do. Still that's what this is all about. I'll post more pics as I go along.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

THanks for the kind words guys. I've been busy trimming parts and trying them on to see if they fit. This is harder than I thought it would be, but I am getting there slowly. Waiting for my snaps to arrive so I can start putting stuff together. Meantime I have the Helmet assembled, just waiting for an appropriate time to paint it.

Posted Image

Comments welcome as always.

Thanks again

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the bucket pretty much finished. The only thing left to do is fit the fans and headset for the Icomm when I get them.

Here it is in all it's glory. ATA helmet.

Posted Image

All decals are hand painted.

Posted Image

Green lenses and no mesh behind frown ready for SWAT clearance.

Posted Image

Correct number of teeth on frown for the "Stop that Ship" trooper.

Posted Image

Next to my MRCE helmet. ATA is on the left in case you didnt guess.

Posted Image

Hope you enjoyed looking. I will post some shots of the armour when I have it a bit more advanced. Its going slowly so far but Im getting there.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on this build. Things have been coming slowly recently but I am comitted to seeing it through. Recently I have been getting the strapping system right (which is a lot of trial and error as Im sure you all know) And I have nearly completed putting all the parts together. The good thing about having my pack and weaponry done before hand is that once the armour is put together, fitted and weathered I am ready for clearance.

I'll keep you updated with some build shots once I have it all put together.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Well a little update here, although its a boring one cos I dont yet have any pics, as I'm waiting until its all assembled to do that.

I have just about finished putting the armour together, just have to glue a coer strip on the left forearm and we are done. Then I simply have a couple of elastic straps to get swen with velcro (when my wife gets her sewing machine for Christmas) and I can go for my first full fitting session.

Very exciting, should be there soon, and hoping that I can have it all assembled and weathered in time for Spring Memorabilia at the NEC at end of March.

Fingers crossed for me, and I will post some pics soon I promise.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys and gals, I got around to my first test fit of the full armour today. There are many kinks that need working out, but I will be getting around to them shortly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pics not great quality cos they were taken in a rush as I was sweating my balls off inside, but It was nice to see the whole thing on for the first time.

I still need suspenders for my thighs, as they slip down too low, I also need to sort of the shoulders as they are not sitting right either. There are a few other things to do, but I would appreciate feedback on this limited selection of images please. These shots are also without elastic straps in the back keeping the butt plate onto the kidney plate.

Thanks

Nick