To paint or not to paint?

nick.black

Guys,

I was wondering whether armour should be painted or not? I am going to buy ATA ABS armour, which I'm told is the right colour from the off, but I wondered whether it I'd recommended to paint the armour, if so what is the correct colour, and is it OK to spray from a can or does it need to be airbrushed? I'm guessing it would be easier to repair weathering if it went wrong if it is painted!

Nick

Cool thanks Terry I knew u could rely on you! What happens though if I start weathering and it's not right and i have to start again. I'll end up with odd coloured parts surely.

Nick

Cool thanks Terry I knew u could rely on you! What happens though if I start weathering and it's not right and i have to start again. I'll end up with odd coloured parts surely.

Nick

Weather over it!

Seriously though, you can probably buff an acrylic weathering job off with novus polish

You can use water and a rag to clean off the weathering. Any stubborn bits of acrylic paint can be removed with a little rubbing alcohol and a rag. It won't harm the ABS at all. The ATA plastic is very durable.

Now here's another question then. Should I polish the armor before weathering it? I feel this would be more accurate to how it was before it was left to rot on Tatooine I guess, but will polished armor be easy to acrylic weather?

Nick

Now here's another question then. Should I polish the armor before weathering it? I feel this would be more accurate to how it was before it was left to rot on Tatooine I guess, but will polished armor be easy to acrylic weather?

Nick

Totally up to you.

I probably won't polish my next TD.

Shiny is for shinys. :)

If it doesn't require painting from the start then it is really not worth the hassle and time. I had to paint my TE2 armour from the start and it was very time consuming (and quite costly in the end).

As the boys have said so far, just weather the crap out of it! :D

With regards to polishing it, just as the boss says, "shiny is for the shinys".

Smally.

If it doesn't require painting from the start then it is really not worth the hassle and time. I had to paint my TE2 armour from the start and it was very time consuming (and quite costly in the end).

As the boys have said so far, just weather the crap out of it! :D

With regards to polishing it, just as the boss says, "shiny is for the shinys".

Smally.

No I totally appreciate that. I just wondered if the armour would look too plasticy and not like armour if it wasnt buffed up before being weathered. I guess I can just see when it arrives and go with the flow. Just wondered if anyone else had done so and if they had experienced any problems with such as the weathering not sticking to the armour if it has been polished etc.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated as always.

Nick

No I totally appreciate that. I just wondered if the armour would look too plasticy and not like armour if it wasnt buffed up before being weathered. I guess I can just see when it arrives and go with the flow. Just wondered if anyone else had done so and if they had experienced any problems with such as the weathering not sticking to the armour if it has been polished etc.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated as always.

Nick

It would probably make it come off easier. The ABS is not that rough to begin with anyhow