Born Again Sandtrooper......and his ATA ABS build

jediyves

One morning, I had a revelation: Press the restart button, build a new armor!

So I ordered the ATA ABS kit.

Finally got it in the mail this afternoon!

Posted Image

Posted Image

My hands were sweating when I picked up the part. Took a quick glance inside the box. Surprisingly, everything fits in to such a small box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyways, going to watch the Canucks games tonight and worry about trimming tomorrow. ( No offense to any Chicago based troopers ;) )

Glad to see it arrived safely. Make sure to draw some guide lines and make some accurate and straight cuts for a clean build! If you need some help drawing the guide lines, let me know.

I fully expect an MEPD deployment application from this, nothing less. :)

Btw: Yves is in my squad.

Thanks for being a great spectator! If you see anything that needs fixing, sound up.

Anyways....DAY 1

In between the Canuck games, I started trimming the forearm, biceps and shoulder bells.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that there is no return edge on the top side of the forearm ? So I did a rough trim of the two pieces and left enough room for correction.

Posted Image

I forgot to mention, I pulled a muscle last weekend on my sea kayaking training course, so I'm taking it easy with my right wrist / forearm.

However, the RC plastic scissors have proven to be very easy to use when trimming ABS, a lot better than the "cut and score" method.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I should go in to work tomorrow wearing this instead of a tensor bandage.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

My dog Max can't wait to see the helmet assembled.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Day 2

Forearm.

Haven't glued anything yet, but I've managed to trim the two right forearm pieces down to 8mm on the length side. Scored and snapped out two 16mm X 250mm long ABS plastic strip, which will hold the entire forearm together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, how did this picture get up here?

Posted Image

Oh, yes, the hot water pipe underneath my bedroom broke. So I'm building everything in the backyard in the meantime.

Day 3

Went to purchase some extra Rare Earth magnets. Every trooper needs to have these when building an armor. Just don't work on a metal table like I did here.....

Posted Image

Leave 8mm when trimming.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The clamps tend to shift the halves apart, so after I took this photo, I had to realign the ABS strip, re clamp the ends, place the earth magnets back in to the middle section.

Posted Image

It takes a good 20 minutes to glue the halves together. I know that because I went to remove the clamps after the first period of the Nuck's games.....HEHE. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Up next, the right thigh. Stay tuned.