my one pigment weathering for SWAT status.....

sir david

hi guys, as some of you may know, i am going for SWAT status with the armour smally gave me B):) i would dearly like him to be the first uk SWAT trooper, but i would like to follow him on this mission! :)

anyway, as the method i am going for is the "slap it on in a rush,cos time costs money" on-set method! and wanting to get it as close to the 76' techniques as i could,i used screen shots and off screen shots of ANTHONY FORREST to work from B) i sent him a p.m ,asking how the weathering was applied,and what colour/techniques were used, i got a reply,but,before posting here,asked his permission first....... HE O.K'D IT SO.... HERE GOES :)

Anthony Forrest April 19 at 2:32pm Report

Hi Dave... Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... couldn't put my guitar down. Looks like there has been quite a bit of activity around the new armor. I'm only going to guess that would have used a sponge technique, common in the art department They might have been using a dark brown shoe polish... my armor was already pretty much weathered when they suited me up. Sure you can use any photo references that help. The trick with my armor is that George actually came over to me... grabbed some dirt off the ground.. and started adding real dirt to the breast plate etc... he wanted a real grunge look... so somewhere on my armor might be George's hand or finger prints... lol. Keep up the good work... 'Move along...'

AN INSIGHT FOR ME AS TO HOW IT WAS IN 76' ! :)

i was always a believer in the 3 or more pigment weathering, but wanted to do it how it was done on set with this armour! i mayhave upset a few people /raised a few eyebrows too,by going down this route,but,i think ,by doing it as near to the 76' methods does the ANH sandie justice,and seems more authentic for me! jeez, i even photographed in b+w to compare to the reference pics of the guys in tunisia!!!

i'm on the right track now! :)

i'll post pics when i am able to do so,but noel,rick,juan and a few others have seen my "base coat" work so far! :)

thought i'd share this message from anthony with you all brothers and sisters!

Its good insight from Anthony Forrest.

I'm pretty sure I have read that John Mollo or John Barry used a mixture of oil, dirt and sand. Theres photos of them painting it on the armor by dipping a paint brush in a large bucket.

Hey David. I found a thread that I started last year that might useful. I was trying to take the same approach as you, sort of "what did they actually use on set?" approach. I actually tested some plastic using a mixture of oil, dirt and sand. This helped me in developing my weathering approach.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7274

Thanks Dave for share this :)

when i saw Anthony there is now more than one year in Paris, i already speak with him about this and another important TD suit details.

it was the topic i had wrote a this time :

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6006&st=0&p=72307&hl=+forrest%20+paris&fromsearch=1entry72307

i'm really curious to see your weathering work bro' ;)

thanx terry and j'ero'me :) cool!!!

and rolf....you were the natural first choice for SWAT!!!! B) ,but smally is gonna be the first here in the uk to achieve this status :)B) , but,i will hopefully follow him soon bro! :)

(hey,if dave mars does swat too there could be 3 MEPD deployed and SWAT troopers all living within 1 square mile of each other!!!! :P

I love this quote / information!

It may help in how I weather new (or re-weather current) armor for sure.

Of course this was for film... and they didn't need it to last in bins and the like. But it's still good to know!!

thanx terry and j'ero'me :) cool!!!

and rolf....you were the natural first choice for SWAT!!!! B) ,but smally is gonna be the first here in the uk to achieve this status :)B) , but,i will hopefully follow him soon bro! :)

(hey,if dave mars does swat too there could be 3 MEPD deployed and SWAT troopers all living within 1 square mile of each other!!!! :P

3 is a small squad, the scums are soon history in the dusty streets of Mos Eisley :)

I need back up, go go goooOO :D

• 2 weeks later...