Stormtrooper Rank

MHenry

(ANH) I've seen references to "Recruits" "Troopers" "Sergeants" "Lieutenants" "Captains" "Majors" "Colonels" and "Generals" In the Davin Felth short story. Vader talks to a "Commander" in ANH after he captures the Consular Ship. I assume this is to a Naval officer. Is there a recognition of further...more complete rank structure somewhere? Are there LtColonels...Warrant Officers, SgtMajors..Corporals? ANH gives us breadcrumbs on this. I don't want to go too far afield in the "Expanded Universe" I be just a-wondering.

I know there are a ton of SW ranks on the EU. But being a OT fan and having not much love for EU novels, I just don't give them any importance.

As far as the movies, I can see just a few "generic" Navy and Army ranks... This probably cause GL did wanted to have the SW universe feel familiar, but without making any real reference to actual real world stuff or societies.

I can remember:

Imperial Army:

Commander (on board Tantive IV)

General Veers

Imperial Navy:

Captain Needa

Captain Piet

Admiral Piet

Admiral Ozzel

Government:

"Governor" Tarkin

The Emperor

Moff and Grand Moff was not mentioned on the movies, or was it?

Any other.

Saludos

I have no idea... I would think so though.

I can tell you that we got a lot of our descriptions for the MEPD from the SW books, as well as real ranking from police forces around the world. Thank you Wikipedia!

Check out this excellent discussion on this very topic at IOC :

http://imperialofficer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1267

Direct link to Marcel's work:

http://www.imperialofficer.com/6191-imperial_ranks.pdf

Not a bad "stab at it" but as I think one critic stated....alot of extrapolation and filling in holes.

I would think the place to start would be with the Clone based stormtroopers. (Based on the timeline....the last of the clones would be retiring or gone by the time of ANH) Then extend it into ANH. MEPD gives a big nod to "Davin Felth" He is the creation of a short story...well done I might add. When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale. Davin as a base, creeps into the concept of the Extended StarWar Universe (EU)

If you've not read this...oh, the shame! My original question comes primarily from Davin.

Alas, Lucas is quoted as saying "continuity is for cowards" so there is always going to be a need for extrapolation.

On the plus, at least it means that your own explanation will be as good as anyone else's :)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Well, Wing Cdr Icono and I have tossed a few things out to extrapolate on. I will take a look at Empire Strikes Back and RevengeJ for additional mention of rank. I would ad, the Visual Dictionary mentions one of the Paldrons as a "Sergeants"

Two other things to mention. I have always been struck by the postulation that Paldron colors might have more to do with function than rank...like the colored shirts worn on the flgt deck of an Aircraft Carrier. No, lets not discuss pauldron colors again :)

Secondly...some ranks mentioned might be more "Positions" as opposed to ranks. The military often uses this form of address/title. Squad Leader...Flight Leader....Task Force Commander...Captain (of the ship)...Medic!

Lastly...Vader is talking to whom when he gives the officer the order to take men down to Tanyooine and..."see to it personally Commander" A Naval Officer in Gray?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Well, Wing Cdr Icono and I have tossed a few things out to extrapolate on. I will take a look at Empire Strikes Back and RevengeJ for additional mention of rank. I would ad, the Visual Dictionary mentions one of the Paldrons as a "Sergeants"

Two other things to mention. I have always been struck by the postulation that Paldron colors might have more to do with function than rank...like the colored shirts worn on the flgt deck of an Aircraft Carrier. No, lets not discuss pauldron colors again :)

Secondly...some ranks mentioned might be more "Positions" as opposed to ranks. The military often uses this form of address/title. Squad Leader...Flight Leader....Task Force Commander...Captain (of the ship)...Medic!

Lastly...Vader is talking to whom when he gives the officer the order to take men down to Tanyooine and..."see to it personally Commander" A Naval Officer in Gray?

Yeah, I was on the understanding that commander was not really a rank but a job or field position. The mission commander could be a Sgt. or a General. I guess.

The only reason we have to actually think that orange pauldron is higher rank than black or white because there are 4 times when he acts like commanding officer: Roadblock Scene, doing all the questioning; Checking door at the alley: Door is locked, move on to the next one; and Falcon scape: Alright men, load your weapons; and of course Stop that ship, Blast Them!!!

Not always the same trooper but always the same orange pauldron.

Now, if that means he is the CO and that orange outranks white and black that is not 100% definite. Lots of room for discussion, but lets not start it again unless something new may be brought to the table.

About the officer on board the Tantive IV, I heard ppl assume that he is a TK in an officer uniform, as marines might have the formal uniform and the field one. Being the officer's the formal and the TK armor the field one. This could be logic in some sort of way, but... why would a soldier would be wearing a gala officer's uniform in a battle field, while other soldiers are using their field armor???

The way I see it is that Vader tells the "commander" to see the sending of troops personally, not to personally go and retrieve the stolen data tapes.

Other stuff, not actually from SW, Army and Navy both have foot personel, meaning, "soldiers" right?

Marines are from the Navy and Infantry are from the Army?

Is that right?

Navy forces being supposed to be better trained, disciplined and educated than Army??? That is how it is supposed to be in Mexico anyway. And for what I know, there is a pride and honor in being a Marine that the Army just dont have, or does it? Not meaning to be disrespectful for anyone on the armed forces, just wanted to know... and maybe find a relation between real world armed forces and SW ones.

Saludos

PS... what I really dont get is why the Empire still uses Data taped, when the Old republic were already on holographic recordings?

LOL!!!

I think the Empire went with Beta instead of VHS?

It is generally acknowledge orange pauldron is leaders. Dare I mention Star Trek where they have the concept of "command" or line officers. Navies tend to be organized like that. The US Marines were until WW1. In Napoleonic times it was common for the Navy to provide much of the leadership for landing parties. It is not inconcievable that Storm Troop officers are only really Lieutenants and Captains (in black). Senior officers all going into Gray. All that said...I'm more interested in the Company level organization.

Army units are all over the place as to discipline and quality. In the Star Wars Galaxy...the "Army" is quite a vague concept. It could well be as was suggested...organized along WW2 German lines. The Army could also be more like a Militia or Natl Guard.

In Empire Strikes Back:

One of the SnowTrooper's in armor with Gen Veers wears a 4 square officers badge on the chest of his armor.

Admiral refers to one of his officers as "Lieutenant".

The term Commander is used several times in "Return of the Jedi" 3 red over 3 blue insignia for Navy types