BACK IN BLACK!

kenthork

i would like to share with all my TD brothers my new "baby" ;)

i copied what i already wrote on the french legion forums, i used translator and try to correct myself, but i think there is again many mistake, so i'm really sorry for this, my english is not too bad but not enough to make big and complex writing, so i hope you will understand all :D:lol:

i must now to continue my work on my next TD, i have put in sale my actual TD, so i will wear only my tie suit this year i think, so wait and see... :rolleyes:

+++

Jérôme / kenthork

the new men in black!!! :tie::salute:

______________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________

... After a few months in box, i decided on returning from summer vacation to re work on the version 1 of my tie, a pilot version that i made some time ago that i had not yet been validated or worn, to rework it to get to something more true to the pilot movie.

There are lots of variants of pilots actually, but not many pictures with sufficient

references.

I have therefore chosen to go on a reference of the most complete driver in an attempt to get closer than must it.

Here is the photo of the driver that helped me to realize my costume:

Posted Image

I first made a change in size of the combination because i lost some weight in recent months and therefore it rather faisait bag potatoes than combination of pilot ...

Then i modified the chest armor on the sides, because we can see that it well arched on the sides of the pilot, and my chest armor tended to yawn too much on the sides.

So i strapped with straps and heated gently with a hairdryer, then tighten the straps regularly to obtain the desired inclination, i wanted to go to the heat gun but in the end it would have probably been a bit too strong ... with probably irreversible damage.

Posted Image

Bending picture finish:

Posted Image

I then wanted to have a more accurate commpad as one i already have that not ok my expectations, i also noticed that the color references that usually seen on the costumes were not the same as the pilot who served as my reference.

So i deliberately painted the commpad closest to what one can distinguish visible on the reference driver is on it's not easy to see but with a magnification of the image have little see that the color code is different from other pilots.

Here is the classic color and positioning of the reference part and my commpad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the little paint shop 

Posted Image

Then i tried to find more Accurate gloves, while my elders were already really good (damascus d650) but i myself had the opportunity to purchase virtually identical to the movie! ditto for the belt I found a much more accurate, i just had to add the chrome round to the right size and has good distance from the loop.

Then the cogs in the shoulder: Most troopers are fabric patches, i also had on the first version of my costume, but in fact it would not patch vinyl and not in fabric in the film, i was lucky that when i or interest me about i came across a run on the forum legion! Sometimes destiny may good things.

Here is a picture that illustrates the vinyl run cog.

Posted Image

In the movie these cogs were stuck on the shoulder, i wanted to do at first, but ultimately the practical aspect was not real because the combination will be used several times, washed, etc., which was not necessarily true for actors, it was necessary that the cogs are removable, so no seams or gluing like the originals, so i opted for what he is most faithful to a visual point of view and so i put velcro.

I kept the same boots, it's really part of the costume that was satisfactory at 100%, it was already too hard time finding jackboots identical to those of the pilot film, identical in meaning with the same worn shape, even wear, though bent, etc.. they are really almost perfect.

At the chest box, not much to change, i only changed the two red dots on the "gray switches" in black dots.

I shortened redivided parts on the striated back shoulders as they came down too low compared to other parts of the photo film that we can see.

I kept my pipes German gas mask, they are not really identical to the originals but the problem of the originals and they were very rigid and thus prevented him from having a minimum of comfort and mobility of the head, because just for a scene in a spaceship it is ok, but it goes for a day convention is not the same story, so i had to make a small concession at the chest tubes box.

The helmet: big dilema here, my old was very beautiful, really very beautiful !!!!... and even too good! compared to those of the movie, original helmets were abs black and my old one was fiberglass, so i decided to sell it to get one more accurate and to permit me to buy an another.

I did a lot of research and after several comparisons and a lot of reading, the most accurate helmet on the market was the SDS, it is really awesome. in terms of the top part is the only real difference between the original helmets and sds and Mohawk, in fact the new Mohawk was redone because the old molds are either broken or lost, so there is a slight difference.

The helmet received despite being relatively faithful was not without drawbacks:

First, the first one I received was at least very ... disappointing.

The front and rear were not in the same molded plastic which left shows very clearly a difference of colors, a dark black on back and clearer on front!

Then the finishing was at least "bad", traces of glue on the helmet, neck trim bonding limit very well see disgusting, and especially a helmet stunt (8 teeth), while helmets are part of the hero (6 teeth) or rather there is a side with 3 teeth and one side that reveals a fourth tooth barely visible.

So i contacted the seller to express the "joy" of having received this "beautiful" helmet and explain that i did want a helmet with such finishes and i do not want a helmet idealized but as close as possible to the helmet seen on screen.

Here are the pictures of these defects:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This last picture is not the helmet i received, but I found a picture on the net seen even more concern for color difference between the front and back of helmet!

Posted Image

The helmet is returned to seller, and i demand to him to redo one in line with my expectations. He made a special order of plastic in Germany to have the desired result, it has re-molding of the face pate with the famous non-idealized teeth and put the same plastic color on front and rear.

In the end i received the helmet (with a timeout and much sweat ...) it was really much better and was what i wanted.

Still, some differences were still present, especially in relation to driver model I used as a reference, Greeblies the ears were not absolutely identical, indeed Greeblies one and not two as received on the helmet, and more Greeblie the helmet reference driver was completely different, it's a bit of a unique case because the other driver Greeblie have a standard-based disk, but this one has Greeble finned cut into wedges!

Posted Image

So i tried to find it on the market propmakers, but there is total emptiness.

So i decided to do this myself with the means at hand.

I used tap joint to the base and support of fireworks (for planting in the ground) that i reworked and painted the picture here.

Posted Image

The original helmets were on the back a black box with a base blache with a "hook" white on each side, a problem on my helmet these hooks were not present, so I also modified it to stick better to the original helmet models.

Cons below illustrates the box behind a helmet that was used in the movie.

Posted Image

Finally last point, the cogs on the helmet, most troopers use pre-cut vinyl stickers that fit the convex shape of the helmet, but in fact the original helmet was full of stickers cut from the center outwards, so I made do with these stickers in a shop, here an illustration of an original helmet with this detail.

Posted Image

I also changed blaster, my old blaster was nice, a model hasbro modified, but ... i wanted to find a DL-44 blaster more accurate on the props makers market, but the prices were high enough to have a blaster worthy of the name, like i am also a collector i had a blaster MR elite edition at home, that was already there and retail is the top level I have long hesitated to use it for the costume but in the end it would "damage" to buy another when i was such a beauty to the house after it is sure that it is rather a piece for the exhibition but hey, there's a personal choice, he'll always be cheaper than to buy another one!

about code cilynders, I found really wonderful and Accurate on ebay, but after the umpteenth viewing of photo pilot tie who served as my reference I noticed he had not of cilynders code, so I did some research and I made the statement with all the photos that I tie in stock, the pilots of the film have no code cilynders ... (except special ROTJ, but here I speak for ANH).

So I did the doubts (because I had no real answer to this question) take pictures with and without cilynders code, and also in cases where it would block the validation of the costume.

Ultimately this costume took a lot more research work and documentation that work strictly speaking, always with the little things that make a great whole.

Well, it is my novel is finished ... lol Well done to those who have read everything! :P

Let's say I'm not posting my progress regularly so it works a lot at once ...!

Now that everything has been said (I think have forgotten nothing ...) here are the pictures of the costume complete, normally I should not rework it ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally realizing my madness ... The TIE Pilot from 1977 to the left and the 2011 to the right.

Posted Image

A big THANK YOU to Mr. Steve Lalieux En-phaze for photos.

http://www.en-phaz.com/

From one Tie to another, congratulations on a great looking pilot! I'm TI-7789, and it's nice to see another Man in Black amongst all these Dirty guys...

If you're not a member already, join the Jolly Roger Squadron forum for help with the helmet greeblies, code cylinders and other details.

I´m no tie pro, but from here...

your suit looks spot on accurate, freaking cool my friend :duim::tie:

A big congrats whit your new piece of art, its sure a nice part of the old star wars saga.

C U fly boy, hi do you have a phone number...

if i need you to bomb some :tusken_icon::jawa: out there for me :peace:

Nice work man!!! Looks awesome!!

thanks Rick my friend

I see a few things holding you back from deployment... first off, this isn't a sandtrooper...

Nah, seriously man, great job!!

thanks captain!!!

ha ha! yeah for sure not a sandtrooper :P but my next TD suit is on the road, it need again work, time, search, and motivation to complete it, i hope this year :D

From one Tie to another, congratulations on a great looking pilot! I'm TI-7789, and it's nice to see another Man in Black amongst all these Dirty guys...

If you're not a member already, join the Jolly Roger Squadron forum for help with the helmet greeblies, code cylinders and other details.

thanks for comments Markus, these dirty guys are my first familly, but yeah it is sure that i will go on the JRS, to find anothers kamikaze pilots!!! and to learn and share about the costume.

Good gosh man! Amazing work and research!!

thanks a lot bro'

I´m no tie pro, but from here...

your suit looks spot on accurate, freaking cool my friend

A big congrats whit your new piece of art, its sure a nice part of the old star wars saga.

C U fly boy, hi do you have a phone number...

if i need you to bomb some :tusken_icon::jawa: out there for me :peace:

Thanks mister the nordic wolf ^_^

not a tie pro that sure but "only" the TD master!!! ;)

you can count on me to put a bomb on the bad guys of the beautiful Tatooine!!

brother helping brother ;):D

Your whole suit looks AWESOME!!!!

I really do not know anything about TIE pilots so I cannot comment on accuracy, but the overall look is very impressive. I love this shot below...FANTASTIC

Posted Image

Thanks a lot Paul, that's really cool to have good comments from you. the master of TK.

i learn many things from you about TK/TD on the MEPD and FISD since now near two years, and it is really a pleasure that you like so much my work on this costume, i'm proud lol^^

Incredible job, Jerome!

thanks bro'

wow it looks great !!!

again many thanks