Building a Special Edition Bucket (JoeRCfO)

iconoclasta_88

Well, many of may be thinking the same as me...

****! Those SE TDs are horrible!!!

er... I mean, besides the obvious thing, you might be thinking the same as me:

With the new JoeR ROTJ armor and helmet, maybe it wont be long since we have a couple of SE TDs showing up to the Mos Eisley Cantina and asking for some Jawa Juice....

So, before that happens, I wanted to start setting the bar for what a SE TD should be. But then, I found that it was a very difficult thing to do at the moment, cause since no one seems to care about them, there is virtually no material, reference or research done about them.

Also, I will be starting a project to build one of the first SE TD based on a ROTJ lid. Hopefully it will come out cool, and together with Rolf and any other lid that might be on the work bench at the moment, set the standard for what a SE TD should look like.

What I hope is to, together with the MEPD and the FISD community, put together some specs, facts and references for future builds.

First of all, I will start throwing here some facts on SE TDs that I have found or been told by ppl in our community. If you happen to know different from what I write, please, let us all know. This is more a research thread than a fact one.

So... here we go:

SE TDs use an armor that was produced several years after ROTJ was shot. For the SE, LFL had to build some new armor to shoot the new footage Lucas wanted to include. So the production used what many think were moulds taken from ROTJ armors and helmets.

These new armors therefore look very similar to ROTJ TKs.

Some of those armors joined other new sets (from the same moulds) and were later used on the Tours to promote the SE in many cities and countries. That is why those suits of armor are called Tour armors.

ROTJ buckets were not white, but biscuit white or off-white due to the ABS they used to produced them. (This I am not 100% sure)

SE TDs just as ANH Tds had 4 openings on the frown on each side.

SE TDs had black frown, going all around the teeth and ending on a curve on both edges.

Unlike ANH TDs, SE TDs have bubble green lenses.

.... And so far.. thats it.

Here are 2 questions I have asked at the FISD, and I have kept researching, but can't find a conclusive answer yet.

1. Are the SE td buckets completily shinny white ot just biscuit white as ROTJ lids? No idea yet.

2. Do SE td lids have black stripes over the grey tears and back traps? Im on that...

So far, I think they had black stripes on the tear traps, but have no idea about the back traps.

And here are a few pictures you might find interesting.

Saludos

post-0-008297900 1296613291_thumb.jpg

post-0-036138700 1296613297_thumb.jpg

post-0-071021000 1296613303_thumb.jpg

post-0-023477500 1296613307_thumb.jpg

post-0-062676600 1296613310_thumb.jpg

post-0-027794300 1296613314_thumb.jpg

post-0-087742000 1296613331_thumb.png

post-0-033061100 1296613336_thumb.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in for the backpack build when you are ready Juan.;)

Yeah, That would be great...

I don't think I will be building the whole armor anytime soon.

Have too many projects on the bench at the moment.

I will be building a SE TD bucket with a JoeR kit.

But, I know (and I guess everyone else too), that you are the one to go to when in need of a SE pack!!!

:D

I would have thought that the buckets would be white underneath all the dirt they added on... The off white may just be age... Most of the TK's on Endor looked pretty white...

For what I have read, the material (I think it was ABS) used to form the ROTJ buckets was off-white or biscuit white. Not really the white over gray we are used to see in ANH helmets made of HDPE.

But then, I really don't know what material was used to pull the SE and Tour armors and buckets. It could be HIPS or some kind or styrene. But I have no idea yet. Can anyone throw some light on this matter?

White is one of the most tricky colors to capture on film. Weird huh?

But if you don't balance the camera and lenses to the amount of white on shot, you can end up with anything from blue to yellow. And thats not all, once balanced, it may change the colors of other stuff around. Best example in the SW world is Han Solo's snow parka from Hoth. It appears blue on screen due to white balance and color correction, but it actually is brown.

So, eventhough stuff may appear bright white on screen, it is very possible that it was just off-white or even grayish, yellowish, or whatever.

Anyway, we can know what the real color of armor really is based on the real pieces used on screen.

:D

Saludos

White is one of the most tricky colors to capture on film. Weird huh?

But if you don't balance the camera and lenses to the amount of white on shot, you can end up with anything from blue to yellow. And thats not all, once balanced, it may change the colors of other stuff around.

I know that when you shoot snow, you actually have to over expose the picture to get the snow white...

Best example in the SW world is Han Solo's snow parka from Hoth. It appears blue on screen due to white balance and color correction, but it actually is brown.

Now that I didn't know... You learn something new every day...

I owned two original ROTJ helmets and TE visited the archives and saw multiple original helmets and suits. Taking into account the age, there are areas that had not yellowed and it is pretty conclusive that the original ABS had a biscuit tint. I have reproduced this colour on my latest run of ROTJ helmets.

Juan - I can't wait to see this build up! :P

THX Joe!

Having owned ROTJ buckets, and after all the work and time you and all the involved have put in these kits and topic, your word is very important in the matter.

A question here, were the SE/tour armors also made from biscuit white ABS?

I am very excited about this project!!!

Saludos

One thing that i appreciate from GL for this,is that he didn't use special effects and tried to re-create using real props and costumes for the sandtroopers.

Although it was way more different than the originals,he didn't use the original armor from Episode 4/5 on the archive for recreating it(afaik),so its still well preserved........oh that's 2 :D

You'll made it amigo,you got one of the best set of helmet and armor for recreating it!

Salute! :pint1:

• 1 month later...

So, finally i was able to start working on my JoeR CfO ROTJ TD bucket. Man, does anyone even understand what that means?

I was able to get an ABS ROTJ kit thanks to JoeR and man, is it awesome!!!

The material is great, shiny, flexible yet resistant and the color is amazing. Not just off white, but accurate biscuit white. And the pull, well, it s great!

This is an awesome ROTJ kit. Even though most of my experience is with ANH HIPS buckets, I cant imagine any better ROTJ kit that this one.

Here it is as it arrived a few weeks ago:

post-1761-013783100 1299709822_thumb.jpg

post-1761-021388400 1299709819_thumb.jpg

post-1761-098011400 1299709822_thumb.jpg

post-1761-080983700 1299709829_thumb.jpg

To be continued...

Here we go...

So, I spend a good amount of time trimming the pieces and trying to replicate or at least mimic what we see on the SE. I will be trying to make the bucket based on this trooper. But since there is not many shots where he, or any other SE TD, appears, it wont be a prop forgery type of approach. Most of all because the lack of references.

Anyway, I will be following this TD bucket and using the ROTJ original buckets as references for what should and what shouldn't be on this kind of buckets.

The main differences from ANH buckets, for a start, is that the ROTJ bucket were not pulled as sharp or even as carefully. This buckets were cast from an ANH bucket used for ESB, I think. So the moulds are not so similar to ANH ones, and the material being different and probably the techniques too, these buckets are quiet asymmetrical and imperfect.

But that makes them special In my opinion. JoeR's bucket is great and has all the soft details and even the deforming below the right hand tube.

So far, I have spent most of the time (a few hours) just trimming, cutting off and sanding the pieces. Specially the eyes and teeth. I am happy with my progress on this field. :D

I have also drilled and temporarily fixed the faceplate to the cap and back. It fits quiet well and the material is very noble to work with. Still, after my test fitting, I did not like how the face rests on the cap and back. I think it is a bit sideways, so I will be working on correcting that in the next few days. Hopefully, I will avoid any noticeable mistake. I know I will... I already have planned what to do. :D

Here are a few pictures of the progress so far.

I will be assembling it again, but I wanted to share how this is starting to look.

post-1761-084562000 1299717678_thumb.jpg

post-1761-085387400 1299717679_thumb.jpg

post-1761-055598500 1299717680_thumb.jpg

And here it is side by side with my other current project, a CAP bucket (assembled in the Set for Stun style).

post-1761-027063400 1299717682_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Saludos.

I found some time to work on my SE TD this last weekend, and have already made some progress... Not much, or at least not much that can be seen, but more than enough taking in consideration this project is in a whole new field for me.

I already had put together the faca and back, but after a few hours I was not happy with the "face" the bucket had. So I decided to rotate a bit the face and make it look more at the front. This meant that the edges of the eyes would not match the edges of the traps like in ANH buckets, but after studying some references, I found that this is how many of the ROTJ lids were put together.

This is the new face:

post-1761-021559800 1300125310_thumb.jpg

Now, ROTJ stormtroopers are very very different from ANH ones so....

First difference, ROTJ buckets are not held together by rivets and screws. All I could find was that they were glued together with contact glue, the yellow one. You can even see some left over yellow stuff under the ears and inside the bucket. Again, this is based on my research, might be wrong but that was what I could find.

So, even though I used screws to put the faceplate and cap and back in place and achieve the look I wanted, at the end I decided to glue it together using E6000 for actually glueing it, and yellow contact glue to make it look like the originals.

This is it, waiting for the glue to cure...

post-1761-049055200 1300125308_thumb.jpg

And the, came the most difficult part for me: trimming the ear caps.

The main difference with ANH ear caps, are that in ROTJ the legs are significantly thiner... and also are the circle sections. The placing of the ears is also different, being the left ear very diagonal, and the right very vertical. A bit like ANH, but more obvious.

post-1761-007651500 1300125329_thumb.jpg

There are also some details in the trimming I will explain later, when I finish them, that are a lot of hassle. For me at least.

So, this is the bucket with an ear:

post-1761-054945100 1300125307_thumb.jpg

And finally, here is an idea of how the lid will look like when assembled:

post-1761-065251000 1300125306_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Saludos