Green lens for helmet?

Friend of mine gave me a welders shield that is green in color. It is VERY dark and was wondering if I have the right one. The specs on the side say IR/UV shade 5 JACKSON. Can anyone tell me if this is the right tint to go with? I'm wondering how hard it would be to see out of this in a low light environment.

Thx

Hey Opfor,

I personally just received TK4510's green lenses material to mod my EFX lid and I will admit it is pretty dark. At least a lot darker than the green lenses it came with. I have looked at several photos on screen etc. It should be dark enough that a person cannot see your eyes. I have also heard through some members that in dim light it can be a little difficult to see out of. My coworker had an MR lid that he replaced the lenses with dark green then reinserted his grey lenses behind it for look. I.E. Very dark. I like the dark lense though it gives the helmet a more armor look to it and also adds a wow factor because the s Hope this helps.

heen of the dark lense reflects the light.

Hey Mike,

I can not really say anything about welders lenses since I have never used them, they are not available over here. But I can tell you a few things about ANH production buckets and lenses and hopefully it will help you choose.

The original buckets used just a filmsy acetate used in film making and photography as filters for lights. It is very very thing and flexible and also, not too dark. I mean, it is dark green, but you can definitely can see through them day or night.

The thing is that, if you see it closely, you can see the eyes of ppl behing the mask.

Here is an example.

post-1761-056944400 1292537927_thumb.jpg

post-1761-019888200 1292537928_thumb.jpg

I use this kind of film on my bucket, I just put double sheet and that way my eyes are hidden in a better way.

Before I used this, I had some green plastic (PET) and then put the smokey lenses that came in my kit (FX) behind them. That way they appear green but were dark enough to hide my eyes.

So, it is up to you bro!

The idea is that they look dark enough but when ppl actually get close they can say "Oh! I didn't realize they were green". HEHEHE!!

And one more thing, you don't want to have lenses that wont allow you to see. It is difficult enough to troop in those buckets, so dont add more difficulty to an already difficult thing.

As some Rebel Scum already said:

"I can't see a thing with this helmet!"

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

I use the shade 3 welders lens sheet, and imo its just the right shade. As posted above, shade 5 is awesome in bright natural sunlight, but indoors, can be dangerously dark.

I have used the shade 3 for a couple of years, in different buckets, and you can see out just fine, but people cant see your eyes thru them in person or in photos.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the shade 3 welders lens sheet, and imo its just the right shade. As posted above, shade 5 is awesome in bright natural sunlight, but indoors, can be dangerously dark.

I have used the shade 3 for a couple of years, in different buckets, and you can see out just fine, but people cant see your eyes thru them in person or in photos.

I concur with the #3 but I think I use a #5 as well, not a welding lens though. Just a flip down shield for cutting. Welding lenses you would never see out of day or night. LOL

I use?? I am not sure of the number really but works well day or night, Just purchase a flip down shield replacement from the shop, and start cutting lenses out. Boy it is hard to cut though, had to use a band saw. B) Just taped both sides to keep from scratching. Traced a patter and cut.