Armor prep

sandtail6

I'm going to ask a question here about armor (there's a boat load of info on this subject, but.....). The question is about the finish of the armor. If you basically want the deployed, grungy look, would it be better to paint the armor with a flat white? Or to go with the gloss white and weather over that? Since I'm not in the 501st yet, should I leave my armor pristine for my application photos of just go for the "deployed look" out of the box?

On another note, who are the folks doing IMPS the relentless. Not sure if there armor is correct (still learning) but it looks pretty cool (reminds me of the Army) LOL.

I would say if you're applying as a TD to the 501st first, it needs dirt anyways. Your armor will likely either be matte finish HIPS, glossy HIPS or glossy ABS.

All of them can be made into a TD with weathering. There's nothing written that says underneath it "needs" to be shiny or matte finish. It's a personal choice.

My ATA armor is unpainted HIPS matte finish, and I polished it with some elbow grease / buffing to shine up the high spots before I weathered it. But I didn't paint it. I wanted to go for "my armor used to be fresh out of the factory, but I have been deployed for several months, so all this wear and tear has taken it's toll..." etc.

Others will leave it matte, and use hairspray to tack down dirt and paint, this also makes it slightly glossy.

If you buy armor like AM or AP or TM, it will be glossy and it will weather fine too.

I asked a similar question several months back. Perhaps there's more info for you here.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6513

The IMPS guys I think were just doing their own thing, personalizing their armor for the fan film, some events, etc. You can do whatever you want in terms of mods, but you should talk to your local garrison in terms of what they expect. For example in my garrison, for hospital visits, official troops, etc. it's "dress formal" IE: dress the way you were approved. This just keeps up the level of quality / professionalism for public appearances.

Also, if there is an official Lucasfilm requested event, you probably aren't allowed to wear your armor all personalized like that unless they approve.

It should be glossy white just like a stormy but dirtied up, personally I like to paint em glossy white then dull em down with 600 grit. Maybe add automotive wax to protect from sun and then weather. It sticks just fine. :)

I painted my helmet with primer and then 3 coats.

I just painted one (and a sort of half) coats on my armor. So it is chipping off in places but that has actually added to the coolness of it. B)

Glossy. Absolutely. When it was first issued to you, it was shiny. Now, it is dirty and worn, but it still has that "I was glossy, shiny, and new once" look to it. I put 2 coats of glossy white on my HIPS before weathering. I did a few extra pieces unglossed just to see what it would look like and there really wasn't any comparison.

The gloss shows through just enough to make it seem "real".

Glossy is good!

I have a TE2 armor and it is not glossy, but after finishing the weathering, I cover it in hairspray and if not only fixed the weathering nice, but also gave the blank spots a nice shinny look.

I like how it is now!

At least until I change the weathering sometime early next year!

:D

Saludos.