Attaching latex or rubber handplates

DirtyBoy

Silicone works with silicone... I would guess it might work with latex too. Have you tried it?

If not that, try getting a liquid latex and bonding them with that.

It has to be something that will 'meld' with the latex. Glue (of any sort) pretty much just 'sits' on top of it and so doesn't hold.

Silicone works with silicone... I would guess it might work with latex too. Have you tried it?

If not that, try getting a liquid latex and bonding them with that.

It has to be something that will 'meld' with the latex. Glue (of any sort) pretty much just 'sits' on top of it and so doesn't hold.

man, I feel like ive tried everything and i get it to adhere but it wont stay permanently.

if anyone has a specific brand im open to suggestions....my next step is the heat gun :)

I havent had much success with the silicone versions. The problem is that nothing really sticks to silicone except more silicone. I ended up with silicone adhesive stuck to the underside of the hand plates, but the adhesive wouldn't stick to the gloves.

I tried sanding the gloves and cleaning them with alcohol and tried re sticking them, but i ended up messing up the gloves. I know a few people on Fisd had success with Ca glue, but i tried that and it didn't work on the silicone.

I'm going to try the latex ones, hopefully they will stick better!

I havent had much success with the silicone versions. The problem is that nothing really sticks to silicone except more silicone. I ended up with silicone adhesive stuck to the underside of the hand plates, but the adhesive wouldn't stick to the gloves.

I tried sanding the gloves and cleaning them with alcohol and tried re sticking them, but i ended up messing up the gloves. I know a few people on Fisd had success with Ca glue, but i tried that and it didn't work on the silicone.

I'm going to try the latex ones, hopefully they will stick better!

Exactly what Ive been going through.... :(

If you are using latex rubber hand guards and latex gloves rubber/contact cement willwork great.

apply the cement to both the hand guards and the glove area the hand guard will go and let both parts dry to the touch(if you dont let them dry first they wont stick together) When they are dry press them together and be sure to get them lined up right the first time.

Now if you are using the silicone/urethane rubber hand guards then here is a link for you.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy,-Silicone-an/c11_1189/index.html

Good luck guys

Rick, are you trying to attach KarinĀ“s handplates to rubber gloves?

I think I read that you got a pair from her...

If so, I was in the same place as you are. Literally bought a dozen different glues and non worked out.

Finally, after a lot of tries, Karin suggested to get the cheap silicone that smells like vinegar. I dont remember how it is actually called in English, but it comes in tubes with a nozzle and is supposed to be used with a gun to push the silicon from the back... Do you know what I mean...

The white silicone used to fix tiles and glass into the walls and stuff like that.

I went to the Home Depot, literally asked for the cheap silicone that smelled like vinegar and got it. About 3USD for it and worked like magic.

Is dryes white though, so donĀ“t leave visible trades over the black gloves ;)

Hope it helps... saludos.

It looks like this (but is not this):

http://72.26.228.110/images/users/32197/20070224193800silicona.jpg

Saludos.

:D

Yes Juan, those are the plates I got. I'm going to try the depot. I've gone through probably 15 glues as well and no luck.

I'm actually glad tht this post is getting so much info....once the solution is 100% I'm sure it will benefit the group.

Thanks man :)

I clicked on the "find a distributor" link and found the Sil-poxy in a $10 size as well.

i stopped at the depot and picked up the silicone....if that doesnt work im ordering the sil-poxy :)

i just hate waiting for stuff

Sorry I didn't find this thread earlier...

As Juan said, get the cheapest silicone caulk you can find. It has to be that "vinegar" type, used in bathrooms. I suggest clear or white. An alternative would be dark honey brown to simulate the latex (I used grey in the following pics for demonstration)

Posted Image

1) Rough up the area of the glove where the guards go.

2) Put some "snakes" of silicone on the back

Posted Image

3) Spread it really thin

Posted Image

4) Place on glove and put some heavy books (or something else) on it

5) Wait for 24-48 hrs

It will bond really well, but you can still peel it off...if you like to have a stronger bond, you can NOW use regular CA glue...

6) peel back a little, use a few drops of CA glue, press for several seconds...and so on until you're satisfied.

or... you can use this glue without any silicone, as Richard (TK3045) found out:

I have found the perfect solution, this worked a treat.

Posted Image

Loctite super glue (all plastics)

Holding up very well. you use the activator pen included on both surfaces to be bonded and then the glue on one surface only and then bring sufaces together, hold until set(approx 30 seconds). Allow at least 1 hour before use.

Hope this helps everyone else who had the problem putting the none latex hand guards on to rubber gloves.

I hope that helps

Karin