Lucas sues to stop 'Jedi Mind' wireless headset

RogueTrooper

Saw this and thought ya all would get a kick out of it.....

Lucas sues to stop 'Jedi Mind' wireless headset

LucasFilm seeks injunctive relief, recovery of damages estimated at no less than $5 million

Posted Image

By Eriq Gardner

updated 8/24/2010 10:00:14 AM ET

Share Print Font: +-"Star Wars" creator George Lucas has filed a $5 million trademark lawsuit against a company marketing a technology that allows users to control computer applications directly with their minds.

The defendant is Jedi Mind, Inc., which touts a wireless headset that detects brainwaves on both a conscious and non-conscious level and can even make it possible for users to play games or run software applications with thoughts alone.

The technology calls to mind the famous "Jedi Mind trick" as featured in the "Star Wars" films. According to Wikipedia's hilariously dry description, the mind trick refers to a "spectrum of force powers which influenced the thoughts of sentient creatures, most commonly used to coerce into agreement by suggestion through voice manipulation, or to cause one to reveal information. This allowed its practitioners to resolve matters in a non-violent way."

The mind trick doesn't, though, appear to have worked on Lucas. His LucasFilm production company sent a cease-and-desist letter to Jedi Mind in May 2009. A week later, Jedi Mind's chief, Brent Fouch, offered to phase his company out of Jedi Mind marks. LucasFilm accepted the offer, but now claims the company did no such thing.

LucasFilm sent a second cease-and-desist letter last September and says it attempted to settle the situation without a lawsuit. JediMind is selling three products — "Master Mind," "Jedi Mouse" and "Think Tac Toe."

The studio says the alleged trademark infringement will cause confusion in the marketplace and harm its business and reputation. LucasFilm is seeking injunctive relief and recovery of damages estimated at no less than $5 million.

Note to all potential clone armies: LucasFilm holds trademarks on Jedi Knight, Jedi Power Battles and Jedi Training Academy, but not directly on Jedi Mind and other affiliated marks. Nevertheless, it claims dominion over "all characteristics associated with the Jedi knights not memorialized in a registered trademark ... (including) Jedi robes, the lightsaber weapon, the power to levitate objects, a telepathic oneness with other Jedi and the universe, and the ability to shoot energy beams called 'Force Lightning' from the fingertips."

Here is the link from MSN Tech and gadgets on msnbc.com http://www.msnbc.msn...0584/?gt1=43001

Frak! and I want one :angry:

Man, and just now that I was thinking about starting a multi million dollar company named "Use the force Luke" or maybe "The Star Wars trademark by George Lucas and Lucas Film Limited Company Co.". We were going to sell pogs in the shape of Alf (not relation with Alf the alien, Alf is a friends cat).

LOL...

Saludos.

i always thought the word "Jedi" was a Lucasfilm trademark,like "droid" in which i would completely agree with the lawsuit....but what do i know...lol

I'll admit, George does some dumb things sometimes (like banning Mr Prowse)but i have to agree that if it was my franchise, you dont want people using stuff like that. itcouldendup being a crap product you dont want people associating with your franchise. If you let one slide, then it just leads to more violations. Just seems like business to me. My 2 cents.

hm..well the German troopers were 2 words Storm trooper. Although I think both Storm trooper and Shock trooper are just too general for George to own..though he may have some sort of legal right to "stormtrooper". I mean he owns the word "droid" which is just taken from Android...so who knows! lol :rolleyes:

hm..well the German troopers were 2 words Storm trooper. Although I think both Storm trooper and Shock trooper are just too general for George to own..though he may have some sort of legal right to "stormtrooper". I mean he owns the word "droid" which is just taken from Android...so who knows! lol :rolleyes:

lol....silly...that word came about well before we started our search.

whats next??? paris hilton trademarks "Thats Hot"....my grandma used to yell that to me when i was going to pour her tea as a young boy :blink:

George coined 'Jedi' by twisting the Japanese term for period dramas, 'Jidai' which literally does mean 'period' or era dramas. They were usually samurai tv shows from the 50s and 60s not unlike U.S. westerns. Not a hard leap then from a sword swinging ronin with a warrior code, to a lightsaber bearing 'jedi' following the 'force'.

Can't believe these guys thought they could piggyback on George's success without paying the legal price. The only thing they should've copied was his idea of coining their own term by corrupting another.

In México R2D2 was translated by Lily Ledy, the brand that had the toys in the 80s, as Arturito. LOL!

The name Arturito sounds like R2D2 and is the translation of "little Arthur".

Arturito is a registered trademark in Mexico for LFL. Posted Image

Saludos.

teekay...nope

sandpaper...na'a

lukes...might be,but its 3rd person

lukesarts...no i used k-e instead of c-a

gungas...on wiki is gungans,so,no

i think i pass the test? :mellow:

teekay...nope

sandpaper...na'a

lukes...might be,but its 3rd person

lukesarts...no i used k-e instead of c-a

gungas...on wiki is gungans,so,no

i think i pass the test? :mellow:

Yes, but... who is that iconic figure I see in your avatar???

LOL!!

Like Carrie Fisher said in some documentary: I look at myself in a mirror and I owe George 5 USD.

Saludos