best method to weather canvas pouches?

I have a set of canvas MP40 pouches that I was going to weather some more. They were tan when I bought them so I hit them lightly with some black spray paint to give it a faded look but I was wondering what works best to give them a dirty look? Does paint, or hairspray with dirt work better or even just throw it on the ground in some dirt and kick them around a bit? I will have some pics of them loaded on photobucket soon being as that they are too big too show here. Any tips until then would be nice. I checked around the forums but only really find how to do armor or what type of pouch is acceptable so if I am overlooking a post a nudge in that direction is appreciated as well. Thanks.

here is the link to my pouch album:

http://s993.photobuc...ck0423/MP%2040/

Your pouches are looking great so far.

There are all kinds of threads in the "Pouches & Misc Parts" area about canvas pouches & the different weathering methods & their results, usually with plenty of photos to give you a good idea.

Personally, black spray paint, a little overall dry-brushing with a tan paint, then a good kick around the kids' sandbox, followed by some hairspray & dry clay or fullers earth has worked for mine.

Stay tuned, I'm sure the other guys here will soon help you out with this.

After I dyed mine, I took them out into my back yard and drug them through the dirt, then brushed it off. It's still got dirt on it, but it's not "OMGWOWDIRTY". Did my canvas belt the same way.