Museum Replica TK

FIVE

Hi all, I am usually over on the FISD forum but, I thought about coming over today and playing in the sand. I just wanted to give all the TDs here, that might not jump over to the Whitearmor.net that much the same info and some HD pix on the Museum Replicas ANH suit...

Here is what I posted earlier over on the FISD..... Here is the link to see what the TKs think about it: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12270&st=0

Just got back from C-V and have an update on the Museum Replicas Stormtrooper Armor. I know I started a previous post on here about a Q & A from 2008, about the Museum Replica's TK suit (here is the link to it). There have been a few pics thrown up in addition to this.

I actually talked to Robin Chaudhuri, he is the L&D Manager for Museum Replicas. They had the armor displayed at C5 with their other SW costumes. I got some up close, hi-def pics, and found out from him the price point and what the suit will be made from. After talking to Robin and seeing the suit up close.. I FEEL A GREAT DISTURBANCE IN THIS ARMOR......

It will not be what I consider to be authentic or original, as stated in the Q & A that I am going to link you to. http://forum.whitear...topic=8816&st=0

They did not cast off the the suit but they did a 3D laser scan of the parts.

It will not be vacuum/thermoformed (as the originals were)from ABS, Styrene or anything remotely close to that. They are going to lay the suit up in a type of rubberized polyurethane. The suit that they have on display now is done in a resin casting. Robin said, "This is so they can clean it up and sharpen the details."

I have a booklet that he handed me that states "Stormtrooper, A New Hope" and shows a picture of it. When I first opened the booklet and saw the picture of the Stormtrooper, it was clearly generic pic of ROTJ, not an ANH suit.

Robin stated to me that the LucasFilm Archives has one excellent full suit in its possession. Clearly the suit that they are molding off of, as you can see from the pics below, it looks like they are trying to reverse engineer an ROTJ suit into an ANH suit. Also, I had posted this video on the F.I.S.D. last year as well, but the post has disappeared??? :blink: so, I am re-linking It here.

This is a video of a Lucas employee showing some things from the Lucas Films Archives, showing off one of the ROTJ suits when they were getting ready to shoot the SE add-on scenes for ANH.

http://starwars.com/...iew/000325.html

I always say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Anyone can say that it is just a prototype/work-in-progress to justify not doing their homework. I know if I was someone that had access to Lucas Archives, there would not be so many variances and things that are not right about the suit before I put it out for display. It doesn't appear they did their reference homework at all. When it comes to this, I feel like someone has handed me a can soda and states it is Classic Coke and when you open and taste it, it's pure lemonade Not even close!!

The other things that Robin stated is that suit will be coming out in 2011 and you would get the whole thing, under suit, neck seal and boots and of course the armor and helmet. The boots will be the only thing that will vary in size. Robin said the price point is just under $2,000 plus S&H and any tax.

And later to follow the Sandtrooper suits and with many variances....

For me, some of the things that are tell tales are:

The belt????

The TOTAL AB plate!

The buttons on the AB!!

The missing little up side down u shape underneath the four buttoms that should be there if this suit was molded off either ANH or ESB armor??

The folded edges/tumble lines that are around the armor.

A more rounded edge at the top of the thighs (More like the ROTJ suits)

Their butt plate does not have a folded edge/tumble line at all?? The original ANH and ESB did have a folded edge/tumble line to it but the ROTJ did not and had a flat edge. Then they added a rubber U-shaped trim piece to the ROTJ armor, like you would see on a car door.

The seals and brow trim on the helmet is WAAAYYYYYYYYY OFF!

The tear drop on the helmet is missing the oval dimple???

The details around the frown/teeth does not look it came off of a screen used helmet.

Wrong bolts holding the ears on.

They have mocked up their own ANH hand plates.

The detail work is not very sharp.

I could keep going on about what I see that is not adding up on this suit, but I would need to buy the F.I.S.D. a larger server to house just this one post of mine here :lol:

All in all it is just one step above the Rubies Deluxe. There are just so many things off about this suit, that I don't believe they know what they are doing.

In my opinion for two grand, you could buy any one of the suits from any of these armor makers (TM, TE2 , ATA, AM , AP or RT-Mod) and still be able to buy your add-ons like soft wears and blaster, and still have a chunk of change left.

I am really disappointed that it wasn't pulled off of an ANH or ESB suit, but rather retro engineered from a ROTJ suit. It looks like Museum Replicas are several years behind the TE2 and AP armor in doing that...

Here is the catalog and pics below. I leave the floor open for discussions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pix Continued in the next post.......

Thanks for posting these here Tom.

I think most of us are on the FISD as well... but this is good stuff.

Yeah... I just don't know why they would show something before it's really ready to show. Getting hype built up is one thing, but knowing "we" are going to pick it apart is another. Why not just have a picture of a close up of the helmet on display with a sign that says, "Coming Soon." Then the hype is there and we're all left with speculation.

If all the FX buckets were replaced with this one, I'd be a happy camper. The holster isn't on the wrong side for ESB armor, but then you can't have grey/blue dots.

As a whole, it looks terrible and I wouldn't approve it (if I were still a GML). There is too much on it that is unacceptable. Belt, dots, thighs, overall look is very sloppily constructed.

Unfortunately, we still allow total garbage looking armor and this will probably fly. We HAVE approve Rubies TK's a few times. Bottom line is that as long as the people in charge don't have standards, the Legion will look like crap and totally inconsistent.

HUGE thanks to N'ol and Mike (and guys before that) for making the MEPD the KILLER detachment it is today.

SO! do you think that some Tatoonie sand can help cover up all that is wrong with it?

Possibly...

A LOT of sand. :P

If all the FX buckets were replaced with this one, I'd be a happy camper. The holster isn't on the wrong side for ESB armor, but then you can't have grey/blue dots.

Me too!

And you know the FX Buckets are at their end as far as deployment as of "now" basically.

Yeah... I just don't know why they would show something before it's really ready to show. Getting hype built up is one thing, but knowing "we" are going to pick it apart is another. Why not just have a picture of a close up of the helmet on display with a sign that says, "Coming Soon." Then the hype is there and we're all left with speculation.

Yeah, I don't know why they do things like that. I sometimes think that companies out there think because they have the licensing to a product or name, that they can throw something out there and think it is OK. I know it says it's a prototype and subject to change, but you have to think that this is not someone just working in their garage from photos. They have the actual props in hand. If I was the artist I would truly be ashamed to present this as my work, even in a prototype stage and especially at one of the biggest conventions for SW.

The other thing that hits me square in the face is that Museum Replicas boast that they make their costumes out of the original material, cloth. etc that was used in the original product or prop.. Instead of using ABS and thermoforming the suits like they were originally done in 1976 they are using a type of polyurethane. The Q & A session back in 2008 stated that Robin was trying to market this for the 501st for trooping. He had even contacted Sansweet to get info about what the 501st was looking for. Yet, I now hear that the suit, in the end, would not meet the expectations of the die hard fans, which I consider the 501st . Basically they are gearing the armor toward someone who can tell it is a little nicer than the Rubies suit.

In the Q&A Robin said:

CP: Costuming, specifically 'Trooping' with The Fighting 501st, has become a very popular pastime for Star Wars enthusiasts, will people be able to 'Troop' in these costumes, specifically the armor?

RC: What’s the use of being a Clone Trooper or any other if you can’t troop, fight, frolic (OK, maybe not frolic). No cheap plastic here. We want to be able to move and enjoy a good blaster fight just like you, so you’ll have that aspect to the armor. We’re paying particular attention to the material and will do our best to come up with a material that looks, feels and plays the part without breaking, denting and have minimal scratching. Of course we realize some of you will do this on your own for a battle damaged look. Steve Sansweet has told us how important these specific aspects are to the fan base and we need to make sure that’s incorporated into the design.

Here is the link to the whole Q&A: http://www.windlassstudios.com/t-land-starwars-interview.aspx

At first I was very excited about this. Man!! A real licensed top of the line casted after a real used armor armor...

And now, it comes this.

:(

The main problem from my point of view is that most of the ppl that would actually take the time and money to get an armor, put it together and troop on it, either already have done it, or have very very high standards.

I mean, the target of this armor is all wrong.

They cant aim towards ubber accurate obsessed fans who would tell ABS from Styrene from a foggy, off focus, dark, super small picture with that.

We know our armor. And even if I personally didn't know, the guy next to me or the next one would. I mean, we created a whole worldwide community and a couple dozen sites dedicated only to build and discuss armor and props.

So, then... they cant aim towards the avarage collector or halloween costuming crowd with an costume that costs 2000 USD.

The ppl willing to INVEST in a suit of armor would probably pay 2000 or more for the ultimate armor.

The ppl who would settle for a less accurate costume, would probably not pay more than a few hundreds if so.

They have the price for the diehard armor fans (not SW but armor fans), and the quality for the avarage "wouldn't it rock to go as Stormtroopers this Halloween" guys.

The problem, as far as business goes, it is not the quality, but the target and marketing.

Having said that, there are LOTS of guys on the 501st that would come up with an ubber accurate armor if given the same time and resources and a real screen used armor.

I mean.. comon, give me one of those kits and enough extra plastic and E6000 and I would put together a great display prototype armor for CV.

To bad they never come to the real experts.

Saludos

Its an ongoing battle with this type of thing....they always want to leave us wanting more. it makes sense from a business point of view but sucks from the fans. I mean seriously.....we want the best of the best....we dont want to keep spending money on every upgrade....it sucks. do we do it? yes....just like my 12 versions of the movies....i keep buying. I think this will end up being the same as all the other LFL backed stuff.

Its funny how GI Joe figures from the early 80's had all types of moving parts but the SW collections did not. The technology was there but they kept pumping out the same types of figures until the demand slowed way down....then all of a sudden there were moving parts like the Joe's from 15 years before :)

Smart business :)

Thats a really good point Rick. And yes, thats is the business LFL has put their chips on.

But then...

Stormtrooper armor does not costs 9.99 like action figures or 17 like DVDs.

And it definitely needs more room than a bunch of videos...

But yes, this is the game they are playing.

And I guess they will keep doing it.

Just because we love SW, it doesn't mean uncle George doesn't love his money.

Saludos

I think when a company gets the licensing to make a product, they feel they are running under a banner that will help them sell their product. No matter whether the product is inconsistent with what they originally started to do or not. The normal consumer believes because the product has the copyright stamped on it and hears the sales pitch, that they are good to go. I believe the price point also makes you believe you are getting more than you are actually getting.

The same thing happened with the Rubies TK costume. Now you can barely give those things away. The unfortunate thing is, how many people have bought those things, wanting to get into trooping, only to find out they are not accepted without a lot of upgrading. Believe me, I talked to 4 or 5 people at C5 that had purchased the Rubies on Ebay and were excited that they might get into the 501st. When they found out what they would have to do to get the suit close to 501st standards, you could have knocked them over with a feather.

I am just worried that the same thing is going to happen with the Museum Replicas suits. In this down economy, $2,000 USD is a lot to shell out, only to be told that it is still not up to par.

The thing is we've all seen things done right!

Like my Master Replica "Neuralyzer" is so dead on to the screen used ones in size, lights, and even sounds that people freak out when they see it. Even after showing it to them 100 times it's like they've never seen it before. (joke)

Or get "the ring" from LOTR and it's awesome.

Or wand props from Harry Potter... awesome.

So why can't they do it with other things?!

It seems like companies go cheap on the costuming. But can produce good props.

If someone can ever make a costuming company that turns out good quality movie replica costumes that actually look as good as the replica props you can get people (me included) would line up at your door, money in hand, ready to buy them.

The same thing happened with the Rubies TK costume. Now you can barely give those things away. The unfortunate thing is, how many people have bought those things, wanting to get into trooping, only to find out they are not accepted without a lot of upgrading. Believe me, I talked to 4 or 5 people at C5 that had purchased the Rubies on Ebay and were excited that they might get into the 501st. When they found out what they would have to do to get the suit close to 501st standards, you could have knocked them over with a feather.

I am just worried that the same thing is going to happen with the Museum Replicas suits. In this down economy, $2,000 USD is a lot to shell out, only to be told that it is still not up to par.

Totally agree...

If its true that the price would be near $2000?? :blink:

Is this armor parts comes from the real screen used suits? If it did,i wouldn't mind about the details on it. And its still a prototype. What i want to ask for everybody that had seen the screen used,does the lines correct? Does it looked like it was suppose to be? Does all the bumps,bells and whistles are all there?(for an armor comes from ROTJ that is)

Also,about the helmet,i think they only scan the screen used helmet for making the mold,uncle G wont allow casting the remain surviving helmet like the way it should be for capturing all the details,even MR using a screen used helmet not from the archives for a scan. Its almost impossible to capture the right 'look' by that method. It is hard to beat all the kits we loved that comes from a real screen used helmets and recasted properly.

So,love your helmets,because it is likely there would be no other as accurate :D

The thing is we've all seen things done right!

Like my Master Replica "Neuralyzer" is so dead on to the screen used ones in size, lights, and even sounds that people freak out when they see it. Even after showing it to them 100 times it's like they've never seen it before. (joke)

Or get "the ring" from LOTR and it's awesome.

Or wand props from Harry Potter... awesome.

So why can't they do it with other things?!

It seems like companies go cheap on the costuming. But can produce good props.

If someone can ever make a costuming company that turns out good quality movie replica costumes that actually look as good as the replica props you can get people (me included) would line up at your door, money in hand, ready to buy them.

Some things they wont have a large market to sell to so they will produce a good product to start and make a limited number.

If its true that the price would be near $2000?? :blink:

Is this armor parts comes from the real screen used suits? If it did,i wouldn't mind about the details on it. And its still a prototype. What i want to ask for everybody that had seen the screen used,does the lines correct? Does it looked like it was suppose to be? Does all the bumps,bells and whistles are all there?(for an armor comes from ROTJ that is)

Also,about the helmet,i think they only scan the screen used helmet for making the mold,uncle G wont allow casting the remain surviving helmet like the way it should be for capturing all the details,even MR using a screen used helmet not from the archives for a scan. Its almost impossible to capture the right 'look' by that method. It is hard to beat all the kits we loved that comes from a real screen used helmets and recasted properly.

So,love your helmets,because it is likely there would be no other as accurate :D

It is correct that Uncle George isn't going to allow any harm to come to what is left in the archives. I don't blame him for that. If you look at the Master Replicas LE TK lid and see the info that Jez put on his SWH site, the helmet was not up to par until they started asking the advice of the true fans that know and love the prop. By the way their prototype ended up being the cheap CE version. They ended up eventually scanning the stunt lid from Joiner/Kurtz collection. You have to also consider that Dan Laws did a 3-D scan of Set for Stun that turned out great. So I don't know where Museum Replicas faltered with theirs, other than they just haven't done their research and realized that they are not going to hit their original target, the 501st. So they are now re-directing their target toward the unsuspecting fan who is not as knowledgeable of the armor.

• 1 month later...

i was out at c5 and studied this close hand... it looks like crap... i remember the museum replicas guy looking at me after i looked to my girlfriend and said "that looks like what comes out of me after p.f. changs"... yeah the guy didn't like that. really it looks ok in the photos but up close it's real crap.

• 3 months later...

So anyone can contact them and discuss this suit pro - con etc? Probably being sweat-shopped somewhere, I will support my worldwide friendships but other than that I buy American. Outsourceror's......they're on their own. :jawa:

Some of the parts, and areas looks pretty good and accurate i think.

But as a complete suit... No.

There are way better suits out there all ready, as a full kit/suit for us, then this one for sure ;)