T-21 build, 2.5" PVC pipe for barrel

Hey all,

First, there's a great wealth of information here and I want to thank the contributors for their hard work. I've begun building a T-21 and so far things are progressing nicely.

The only problem I'm having is finding 2.5" PVC pipe for the front barrel. I saw how Pandatrooper cut down some larger diameter pipe, but I'd prefer keeping everything schedule 40. But, if I can't get 2.5" PVC, then I guess I'm out of luck.

Is everyone cutting down larger O.D. pipe, or have you found 2.5" easier to find than I have?

Thanks again!

-Carl

Hey Carl, I can't answer your question as I've not done a T-21 (yet) but I wanted to say "Welcome to the forums!"

I'm sure someone will answer your question. B)

Hey Carl, I can't answer your question as I've not done a T-21 (yet) but I wanted to say "Welcome to the forums!"

I'm sure someone will answer your question. B)

Thanks Nol. I love building stuff, so this is right up my alley. After some research on the 'net, here's some alternatives I've discovered.

Fireworks Mortar Tube - Must buy on the internet.

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/persut/items/2_5__HDPE_Mortar_Tube_DR17_Mortar__15__length__2_48__ID_

Cardboard Shipping Tube from Staples - Run to the store. Not as strong as HDPE or PVC, but I could wrap it with .022 Acrylic Vinyl sheet, which I have a boatload of. It's like Styrene, but not as rigid.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-White-Mailing-Tube-2-1-2-x-24/product_467811?cmArea=SEARCH

I may get the cardboard shipping tube and use it for testing and fitting purposes. I'll need to measure the 2.5" and 3" tubes to see what the outside diameters are. I may order the mortar tube while I'm working on the rest of it.

Anyway, my first contribution!

-Carl

That's awesome stuff man!

(you're already benefiting us here... nice!)

That mortar tube could be really good. You know the original stormtrooper helmets were HDPE. B)

So are you in the Legion, do you have costumes, or is this your first foray into the world of the 501st / Star Wars costuming?

Hi Carl. You can find 2.5" pipe at specialty plumbing supply places and even online. I could have ordered some but didn't want to bother with shipping, etc. Its not too expensive, but I had larger tubing on hand so I just cut it and made it exactly the size I wanted.

You're totally doing the right thing and thinking " outside of the box". Use what you can find! Shipping and poster tubes are another option.

That's awesome stuff man!

(you're already benefiting us here... nice!)

That mortar tube could be really good. You know the original stormtrooper helmets were HDPE. B)

So are you in the Legion, do you have costumes, or is this your first foray into the world of the 501st / Star Wars costuming?

I'm not in the 501st yet, but this week I was accepted as a cadet in the Garrison Carida Academy. I have a set of AP armor on order, but until it arrives, I'll be working on the T-21 and the backpack.

"thinking outside the tube..." :D Could be my new signature.

-Carl

Woodchuck here. The front nine inches of my version of the T-21 is turned on a lathe from solid pine.

If you have a wood lathe, or know someone who does, give that a try. , I do NOT do lathe stuff LOL,

but have a Bro-in-law

who makes my barrels, but he doesn't want any more business, as lots of troopers have asked.

Here is a photo link to my t-21: http://woodchuck.imperial-web.com

Hope that helps.

Woodchuck here. The front nine inches of my version of the T-21 is turned on a lathe from solid pine.

If you have a wood lathe, or know someone who does, give that a try. , I do NOT do lathe stuff LOL,

but have a Bro-in-law

who makes my barrels, but he doesn't want any more business, as lots of troopers have asked.

Here is a photo link to my t-21: http://woodchuck.imperial-web.com

Hope that helps.

That's really nice work WoodChuck. Another very good option. My grandfather spent his retirement turning wood bowls and lamp bases on a lathe, which my father now has. I learned quite a bit from him and my father, but the lathe is 3.5 hours away. Although I could just get a cheap bench top lathe. If I could make and sell a few of the barrels, I could justify the purchase of the lathe. Hmmm...

-Carl

I went ahead and got myself a lathe anyway. Today I put the lathe together and bolted it to one of my benches. I glued a block together which will become the piece I turn to make the barrel. It'll be ready for turning tomorrow night.

My plan is to turn everything from the end of the PVC pipe portion of the barrel to the end of the gun. That includes the slanted reduction in barrel diameter and the ring at the end. I am also going to try beveling the inside.

When I'm done with that, I'm debating on using a spade bit or Forstner bit to drill the hole in the center.

My other idea is to make the front barrel plug-in to the PVC pipe. I can either secure it with screws (removable for smaller travel size) or just glue it.

If anybody sees potential problems with this concept (Woodchuck!), I welcome your feedback.

My T-21 progress is in this thread.

Thanks!

-Carl