Hi, newbie to the board but want to get a kit..

Arppegio

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much new to the board but not in the armor department. I have mostly been browsing around here and there. I already have, and completed, my FX kit last month. Walked around my office during Halloween and walked the streets of my city to a Subway sandwiches for some eats. Was good. Had many laughs and smiles through out the day. I was hot as ****. But it was worth it.

Anyway, I got the FX kit because it's the cheapest. I thought I would be fine with an inaccurate armor piece. But after having finished and using mine, something stirred inside me. Part of it was the Subway sandwich. But the other part was my mind making itself up and deciding, "dammit...I want some accurate armor". What also contributed to this was that I had also ordered an orange pouldron. When I put it on I knew I wanted to have a set of Sandtrooper gear.

So I looked around and I've found something from Authenticprops. But I've also noticed a lot of people have the TE kits. I want to know which is better to have? And where can I order the TE kits? I know it's more involving of all the kits but I'm not afraid of that. But I would like to figure out which is the better kit to get. The TE or the one from Authenticprops.

Any help would be appreciated. And I apologize for the long post just to get to my question, .

I'm new here too, so excuse the possibly dumb question, but

What is wrong with the FX armor? I am sure you spent a pretty good amount on it, and I think you should be proud of what you put together. I think you could always improve the details or the add-ons to what you have, but I don't see the need to completely scrap a perfectly good set for what may or may not be more "authentic" to what was worn on the screen. Do you think others will notice the little flaws and differences in your armor? Heck the last troop I went on, half the TKs were wearing white tennis shoes. The kids there all though the stormtroopers were "cool" anyway.

Hi Ashaman,

I'm in the middle of construction on an armor set from Authenticprops. This is my first set, so I can't sompare it to anything else. I'm not sure of it's origin, but it is supposed to originate from a screen used ANH suit. It certainly looks authentic.

There is lot of work involved in assembling one of these kits. It comes untrimmed and there is a lot of trimming to do. Prepare for a lot of cutting, grinding and sanding. It ships with a very, very basic manual, velcro, mic tips and decals. Aside from the amount of work involved, my other complaints are with the lens material and the helmet opening trim. The lens material is worthless - plan on getting a welding visor and making your own or order a set from someone. The rubber "brow" trim is spot on, but the same material is provided for the opening of the helmet. Not only is it incorrect, it's almost impossible to apply correctly. (I ordered some trim from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ , do a search for SWR150)

Good Luck!

HH

"Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much new to the board but not in the armor department. I have mostly been browsing around here and there. I already have, and completed, my FX kit last month. Walked around my office during Halloween and walked the streets of my city to a Subway sandwiches for some eats. Was good. Had many laughs and smiles through out the day. I was hot as ****. But it was worth it."

Ashaman,

First allow me to welcome you to the best **** job & website this side of the outer rim terrorities.

Secondly, like I told IanL, don't be "gun-shy" about posting your questions here. That's why we're here! There are veteran sandtroopers out there ready to give you hand. Alot of us had the same type of questions you have now. So don't be afraid...ask away!

Thirdly, you have experienced the same "bug" that bit me earlier this year. A commitment to sandtrooper excellence!

The debate for which armor is best for you depends entirely on what you want it to be -- for you. Speaking from my own personal experiences I began my Star Wars stormtrooper journey in FX armor. Affordable - paid $550.00. Attainable - took a couple of emails. Screen accurate - heck no!

For an Anal-retentive, Type A personality: Screen accurate armor was a natural progression for me. TE armor works for me. It may not work for you.

Do your homework and scan as many websites on the subject of armor as you can AND you'll find the answer you're looking for. Look over the threads here on sandtrooper.net and you'll find posts on this very subject and possibly where to search for what you seek. If you like, PM me and we'll discuss FX vs. TE according to "GUNS". Take care, welcome, and enjoy your journey to the dirt-side!

Guns

ePS: For IanL. There is nothing wrong with FX armor. You are correct in stating that you can always improve on the details (but only to a certain point). Is there a "need" to jettison a perfectly good set of armor for more "screen-accurate" armor? Well, it depends. "Do you think others will notice the little flaws and differences in your armor?" YES. That is the reason why trooping is a very individual endeavor. The pursuit for stormtrooper/sandtrooper armor for some ends with FX/GT/RT etc. For others, like myself, I chose to go to the extreme. But that's just me.

Hey thanks for the welcome, TK-2581. I'll defenitely look around the site more and read up. I think I am leading towards the TE kit. What does impress me about the Authenticprops one though is that it looks like it comes with items to convert from Storm to Sandtrooper (ab plate specifically) as part of the kit. Although I'd have to ask to confirm that. I could be very wrong so no one quote me on that, lol. I'll look around more here though. Need to do a price comparison before I commit to buying. Well...I'm still saving up anyway so I wouldn't be buying right away.

hhuggins: Thanks! If I do end up getting the armor you have I'll keep your site in mind about the trim. Good to have referrences and resources to go to. And did your kit come with the Sandtrooper ab plate to switch off from Storm to Sand? I thought I saw that as part of the kit.

IanL: I'm not scrapping my current armor. I love it if only for the fact that it's my first set. So even if I've only had it for a few months, it's still very sentimental to me. It's just that after looking at dozens of photos then reading up (some more) on the other kits and finally seeing the differences (I couldn't really appreciate the differences until I had my own set to fully realize it) that I started to get the itch for another, more accurate, set.

Since I still have a lot of my materials left over, plus some extra stuff that I didn't actually need, I'm sure I'll be spending relatively less than what I had spent when I was putting FX set together.

hhuggins: Thanks! If I do end up getting the armor you have I'll keep your site in mind about the trim. Good to have referrences and resources to go to. And did your kit come with the Sandtrooper ab plate to switch off from Storm to Sand? I thought I saw that as part of the kit.

Oops! Forgot to mention that. Yes - it ships with the correct ab plate for a sandie. A very nice feature that I forgot to mention . . .

HH

IanL: I'm not scrapping my current armor. I love it if only for the fact that it's my first set. So even if I've only had it for a few months, it's still very sentimental to me. It's just that after looking at dozens of photos then reading up (some more) on the other kits and finally seeing the differences (I couldn't really appreciate the differences until I had my own set to fully realize it) that I started to get the itch for another, more accurate, set.

I hope I didn't come across sounding condescending or rude. It was not my intention, and your ideas are completely legitimate. I guess my beef is that personally I will never be a "screen-accurate" TK/TD due to the fact that I am a good 5 inches taller than most of them. Therefore I am pursuing a set of armor (custom chest and helmet, supplimented with FX extremity pieces), and once I am done weathering and beating upon it, hopefully the little differences will not be so significant. Either way I know I will be a passable trooper, just from a clone vat that got a little too much growth serum or something.

Keep a journal of your progress on your new suit I know I would love to see how one of those comes together!!

I will never be a "screen-accurate" TK/TD due to the fact that I am a good 5 inches taller than most of them

Well, that makes most of us in one dimension or another. 100% screen accurate is not possible or even desirable for everyone. We do this for fun (as Guns is always there to remind us), what's right for one is not necessarily what's right for all.

Except getting dirty - can't recall ever seeing a clean sandtrooper!

I hope I didn't come across sounding condescending or rude. It was not my intention, and your ideas are completely legitimate. I guess my beef is that personally I will never be a "screen-accurate" TK/TD due to the fact that I am a good 5 inches taller than most of them. Therefore I am pursuing a set of armor (custom chest and helmet, supplimented with FX extremity pieces), and once I am done weathering and beating upon it, hopefully the little differences will not be so significant. Either way I know I will be a passable trooper, just from a clone vat that got a little too much growth serum or something.

Keep a journal of your progress on your new suit I know I would love to see how one of those comes together!!

You can make a TE suit fit you. I am 6'4" and made mine work, there are gaps in teh legs and back (coved by the pack) but the suit looks so good most people will not notice.

Nah, don't worry about it. I didin't see you coming off as condescending or rude, so no worries here. As for "screen-accurate" I don't mean to go fully accurate, like height or weight. ****, I don't even know the correct height for a ST and if there were a required weight, I'd be over it , lol. I just want the armor set itself to be as screen accurate as possible. Or close enough actually.

Well your in the right place, that s for sure. I am sure that if it was broken down the TD's are becoming way more acurate than our TK counterparts.

I'm a nut when it comes to abbreviations... what is TD & TK? I know it may be something simple and straightforward... but I just can't wrap my brain around it and figure it out... .(