Stop That Ship! trooper used in other scenes

pandatrooper

I have no idea if this is common knowledge, if not - I think it sheds more light on the Stop that Ship TD, much like what we know about Davin Felth (white pauldron trooper).

As some of you may know, I'm planning on building a TD based on the Stop that Ship trooper (build thread to come shortly!). I started gathering my reference online, and thought that since we know so much about Davin from Braksbuddy / Looksir droids.com, perhaps we can use the same techniques for other troopers? It seems obvious that they had used specific or parts of TD's (swapping armors and helmets) in other scenes. Perhaps they did that with the Stop that Ship (I'll refer to him as STS trooper going forward) as well?

We know that the STS trooper was of course in the Garinden scene carrying the T-21, and the actual Docking Bay 94 scene where he falls over. But I think he was in more scenes!

This was a bit of CSI like work. I tried to use some of the screens and reference from Looksirdroids and Star wars helmets, and tweaked the levels in photoshop to see what they would reveal. I think I've made some discoveries, as I have not read about these before.

I started by looking at all the TD's with orange pauldrons. I know that the STS trooper is not the orange one standing opposite the Move along trooper during the road block. The armor that orange TD wears does NOT have the same weathering on his armor as the STS trooper.

So going forward, what does match up?

Article of evidence number 1. STS trooper in the Cantina?

Take a look at this scene when Han says "Looks like someone noticed your handy work" and the Orange trooper and Davin say "We'll check it out".

I am convinced that the orange TD is the STS trooper! The pauldron has the dark circle in both scenes. But most telling is the armor. The chest has a distinct dirt pattern on the chest and the AB plate! The right pectoral has a "skull" face shaped dirt marking, and the left has a row of dashed lines. In between the pecs is a distinct diagonal slash of 4-5 lines. The helmet also has similar "tells" in the dirt under the eye, and the frown and brow shape.

Posted Image

Article of evidence number 2 STS Cantina close up

Here are some detailed comparisons of the helmets from the scene when the TD's walk around the bar towards Han's table. After tweaking the levels in photoshop, you can see the similarities. The paint drips and runs are in the same locations. The vocoder and frown have the same painting, including tells where the light hits those areas.

The armor also has the same dirt patterns on his right chest pectoral area (the dirt looks like a "Skull" in that there are 2 splotches for the eyes, and a mark for the nose). The pauldron also has the same dark circle. You can't match up all the scratches and chips, but if you look closely enough, you can tell some areas where there was a chip / scratch may have been touched up / painted over. Look at his "chin" just above the vocoder, there is a more yellowish paint blotch on the Star Wars helmet image. The same "could" be said about the edges around the mic tips. I strongly suspect these areas were repainted (I think John Mollo said that helmets were always being touched up / repainted).

Posted Image

Article of evidence number 3 Alley search / door knocking

This particular image is a bit blurry, but after watching it closely on DVD, I am sure it's the STS trooper. The helmet brow and frown "could" be the STS trooper, but the armor is for sure the STS trooper. It has a distinct horizontal row of dashes / dirt on his left chest, and the right under his pectoral is the distinct "skull face". In between is also a distinct 4-5 diagonal lines.

Posted Image

I can't take hi res screen grabs (maybe you guys can help?), but some another scene that could reveal more detail about the STS trooper:

The shot where the orange TD and Davin pass in front of Han and Chewie (and Obi Wan and Luke are gone) you can see the orange TD backpack very well. Including the fact that there is a short "laboratory" pipe on the left of the pack. I can make out the highlights of what might be shotgun shells, but I'm not 100% sure on the cross shaped electrical tape on the tool box?

I love you... there, I said it. B)

Seriously man, amazing post! I'm in agreement with you on all this. Great work! Makes me want to do an STS sometime. :td:

I'm gonna have to re-read this one a few times and really look at this stuff. I love that you've pointed all this out as it will help us in the future to guide people in specific TD costuming!

Thanks!

alot of it is already here..as its been discussed before, just need to search the older topics...

theres only one squad of six Sandtroopers sent to retrieve the plans from the pod and yes the same trooper appears several times. the location shots were filmed first, so the TDs were the first, the TKs shot in studio are a slight redesign of the TD suit,all things added are the things we remove to become a TD.

all the Mos Eisley shots with the exception of exterior shots, are filmed in London on a soundstage, the cantina, alley way, laneway leading to, outside and inside of docking bay 94 are all the same trooper

the location trooper "someone was in the pod,the tracks go off in this direction" is meant to show a rank structure and is meant to be the same trooper that is in the studio shots.

However the orange is shorter than the white, in this publicity shot the orange is in the foreground,

Posted Image

not single file, as the location TDs were paid locals, hence the old 'afro' pics floating about, whereas the studio TDs are all english extras and all are an approx equal height

Posted Image

the best indication of the stature of the Tunisians versus English

The Sandtrooper armour is identical, as GL isnt going to leave it on location. The locals biceps almost completely disappear under their shoulder bells, whereas the armour in London fits as it should

Now thats some serious CSI work right there Terry.

I must be honest and say i did not notice that the STS captain, was the same in the cantina.

Very nice work bro, thanks for sharing ;)

Took a couple of low res screen shots (finally figured out how to do it on my Mac).

I already know that the Cantina orange pauldron trooper wears "Pack 3" which is the "Move along" pack. Just a few shots to confirm it.

The 5 shot gun shells on the upper right side of the seed tray, and the tool box on the left is seen here.

Posted Image

The cross shaped electrical tape is seen here.

Posted Image

Good shot of the short "laboratory" pipe on Pack 3. It's quite a bit shorter than the other laboratory pipes on the other packs

Posted Image

great work, detective! :P

i would be really interested in getting a inside view on the time schedule for filming the Mos Eisley scenes.

if we knew when each scene was filmed it might explain the costume allocation together with a specific actor.

• 4 weeks later...

I love reading this stuff. But I have a stupid question :unsure: You refer to the 5 tubes on the side of the pack as shotgun shells. Were these in fact real shotgun shells or just common MEPD jargon :td:

I love reading this stuff. But I have a stupid question :unsure: You refer to the 5 tubes on the side of the pack as shotgun shells. Were these in fact real shotgun shells or just common MEPD jargon :td:

This isn't a stupid question... but it is (apparently) part of the global conscientiousness right now because someone else just asked it the other day in another thread. :)

The "shells" have never been identified. We simply call them that. Most troopers use PVC pipes cut down to size.

But yeah, just called "shotgun shells."

Just like the "bee stinger" is called the "bee stinger." Someone said it, and it stuck. (no pun intended)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

alot of it is already here..as its been discussed before, just need to search the older topics...

theres only one squad of six Sandtroopers sent to retrieve the plans from the pod and yes the same trooper appears several times. the location shots were filmed first, so the TDs were the first, the TKs shot in studio are a slight redesign of the TD suit,all things added are the things we remove to become a TD.

all the Mos Eisley shots with the exception of exterior shots, are filmed in London on a soundstage, the cantina, alley way, laneway leading to, outside and inside of docking bay 94 are all the same trooper

the location trooper "someone was in the pod,the tracks go off in this direction" is meant to show a rank structure and is meant to be the same trooper that is in the studio shots.

However the orange is shorter than the white, in this publicity shot the orange is in the foreground,

Posted Image

not single file, as the location TDs were paid locals, hence the old 'afro' pics floating about, whereas the studio TDs are all english extras and all are an approx equal height

Posted Image

the best indication of the stature of the Tunisians versus English

The Sandtrooper armour is identical, as GL isnt going to leave it on location. The locals biceps almost completely disappear under their shoulder bells, whereas the armour in London fits as it should

Great info. Thisis the stuff I have been wondering about. Thanks!

Took a couple of low res screen shots (finally figured out how to do it on my Mac).

I already know that the Cantina orange pauldron trooper wears "Pack 3" which is the "Move along" pack. Just a few shots to confirm it.

The 5 shot gun shells on the upper right side of the seed tray, and the tool box on the left is seen here.

Posted Image

The cross shaped electrical tape is seen here.

Posted Image

Good shot of the short "laboratory" pipe on Pack 3. It's quite a bit shorter than the other laboratory pipes on the other packs

Posted Image

That is great work, brother.

This isn't a stupid question... but it is (apparently) part of the global conscientiousness right now because someone else just asked it the other day in another thread. :)

The "shells" have never been identified. We simply call them that. Most troopers use PVC pipes cut down to size.

But yeah, just called "shotgun shells."

Just like the "bee stinger" is called the "bee stinger." Someone said it, and it stuck. (no pun intended)

Roger that. ..and I really like your links at the bottom of your page, very helpful.