how do you line your lids guys? traditional,or pimped?

sir david

hi guys,just wondering how different troopers line the inside of their lids?

do you go screen used 76' style,or,do you like to pimp it up a bit????

i'll start with my tk lid(both tk lids and td lid are done in a similar way)

post up your pics please brothers :) :)

I tried the star foam once, but I found it a little hot inside the lid. I started using skateboard helmet liners on my lids. It's a forehead piece, an "H" shaped piece in the back (I cut the H in half) and the top is just a small round circle of foam about 4" in diameter. I find that the air circulates really well in the cap since the fan there can blow the air in a circle.

I have a smaller centrifugal fan near my jaw that blows air into the mouth area. This way, when you exhale it blows the air outwards. Works great!

I, initially, painted mine matt black to get rid of the glare and visual distraction of the white interior...after getting a black nose :lol: in a rush, lined it with black gaffa tape and as 'real-life' always gets in the way.. its been that way ever since B)

it has always had a hard hat liner in it, head fits snugly, as its a 4yo AP bucket, but the liner keeps it in place. only moves when i move my head

the white gaffa tape is a short term fix to keep my mic in place, of course having said the first lot of gaffa tape is 4 yo,,ask me in another 4 yrs if the white is still in, and chances are...it will be :P:D

2 computer fans behind each aerator moves air around to stop condensation forming.

as with theatre and movies, as long as it looks right on the outside, the interior mish mash is irrelevant...of course i use the K.I.S.S. method :P

Posted Image

Before I was building my suit, my son and I were at a con. He picked up a bucket that was laying on a table and seemed VERY disappointed because the inside of the bucket jusn't didn't live up to the illusion. So, I pimped mine out.

I previously posted pics on this thread.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5775

Here is my interior. I am planning on re-doing it soon. Want to paint the interior Black and move some things around a bit. I use Military issue ACH/MICH kevlar helmet pads installed with velcro so they can be removed for washing. I have two open face fans and one squirrel fan with a hose that directs air flow across my lenses to keep from fogging (Squirrel fan is not in these pics, installed after these were taken). Sound system is Trik Toys with mini speakers in machined aluminum aerators.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is my interior. I am planning on re-doing it soon. Want to paint the interior Black and move some things around a bit. I use Military issue ACH/MICH kevlar helmet pads installed with velcro so they can be removed for washing. I have two open face fans and one squirrel fan with a hose that directs air flow across my lenses to keep from fogging (Squirrel fan is not in these pics, installed after these were taken). Sound system is Trik Toys with mini speakers in machined aluminum aerators.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If your going to do that John, I recommend using the black "Plastic dip". it comes in a spray form and coats the helmet in a thin layer of rubber. I did it to mine and I'm very happy with it. I'll post a pic later.

Old school with mine with the exception of a Kevlar helmet donut pad that I pulled out of my old kevlar, Skullworx, and a USMC sticker on the inside. Id like one of them fancy padding’s like Sir Davis is showing in the one picture. But where would I put my USMC sticker?

Mine is just a few pieces of foam padding. Heck, even the frown is just held on using blue painters tape.

Do I want it tricked out? Sure, but as the kids get older it seems I have less and less time. How did that work out? :-p

I only use the old maple leaf foam. It does not works great or is particularly fresh, but I like it accurate-ish (The interior is painted black).

I also have the elastic around the chin, and the green acetate (and frown mesh) held in place with electricians tape.

Three stickers inside too: Garrison, ID and MEPD logos.

Here are some picts:

post-1761-004394800 1276561284_thumb.jpg

post-1761-055812800 1276561288_thumb.jpg

post-1761-071501600 1276561279_thumb.jpg

Saludos.

I trimmed some egg crate foam to line my lid primarily in the crown area and sides. Not the best choice because it does get warm. Those are velcroed in just in case I decide to upgrade and like TD-1535, I got (duct) tape in some places but mostly to hold wires in place. Lenses and frown are hot glued in. Some day I'd like to do a proper pimp-out but so far works just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thread bump.

I'd like to see this thread continue to be filled with custom jobs. This is one of the spots where, I feel, the creativity really comes into place. Though pimped out buckets may not be overly practical, I'm sure there are ways to make it comfortable.

Show your work, gents! This is the kind of thread where we can feed off each others' ideas. Works in progress would be great to see, too! Let the ideas roll!

(Voodoo, you should post yours here, too, just for reference!)

Cheers!

Well, as I stated in an earlier post on this thread, I wanted to redo the interior of my MRCE. I had some concerns about my Hovis being accurate enough for deployment so I got a set of Stompers Hovis with the speakers built in. I figured since I was going to install them, I wanted to experiment and try to simplify my sound system a bit. As a result, I ended up tearing the entire interior apart. Here are some pics of the progress. Still have to re-install my fans for cooling. Thanks Ben (Bounty One) for the tip on the Plasti Dip for the interior.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice! My TK looked similar for a while.i used the wire casing also..looks so cool haha. Now mine is simpler, but i do want to make it nice again eventually.My TD bucket is still super plain...just painted black. I haven't added fans yet heh. I found the mic tip speakers to be too low for cons and noisy events, so i eventually switched em out to standard ones and have the Aker amp in my chest piece.

John,

Did you spray the Plasti Dip directly on the interior of the bucket? Also, doesn't it make it hotter making the inside black? I'd like to redo the inside of mine and I'd like to go this route. Mine works, but I'm not in love with it.

John,

Did you spray the Plasti Dip directly on the interior of the bucket? Also, doesn't it make it hotter making the inside black? I'd like to redo the inside of mine and I'd like to go this route. Mine works, but I'm not in love with it.

Hey Aaron. I did a light sanding of the interior of the helmet and then wiped it out with some alcohol pads just to make sure that there was not any residue in the interior. Then I sprayed the Plast-Dip directly into the interior. Took two light coats and it gave it a nice even coat. I finished it off with a third light coat of Krylon Fusion Camo Flat Black paint. I have not trooped with the interior Black yet, but I don't think it will make much of a difference. I did a recent troop in 90+ degree weather before I redid the interior and I was sweltering anyway....even with THREE fans going inside the bucket!

A lot of guys here go with the black interior. I'm sure someone will have a better answer on the heat issue.

I guess when it's hot wearing a three pound plastic helmet is gonna be hot no matter what the interior color. I really just like how clean that interior looks. Plus, it looks more comfortable and more significant than the halo setup I have in mine now.