R.I.P. Dennis Hopper

TD-1535

Posted Image

Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper has died at his home in California at the age of 74 after battling prostate cancer.The star passed away at his house in the coastal Los Angeles suburb of Venice surrounded by family and friends.

In a career spanning more than 50 years, Hopper appeared alongside his mentor James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause and Giant.

He was best known for starring in the 1969 cult classic Easy Rider, for which he received an Oscar for the movie's original screenplay.

The film is regarded as one of the greatest films of American cinema.

The low-budget blockbuster, orginally conceived by Peter Fonda, introduced mainstream moviegoers to pot smoking, cocaine dealing and long haired bikers.

"We'd gone through the whole '60s and nobody had made a film about anybody smoking grass without going out and killing a bunch of nurses," Hopper said in 2005.

"I wanted 'Easy Rider' to be a time capsule for people about that period."

Hopper and Fonda were joined on screen by a then-unknown Jack Nicholson as an alcoholic lawyer.

Other cult classics included Apocalypse Now and Blue Velvet.

Hopper fell ill last September but continued working for months on his TV series Crash and on a book showcasing his photography.

In late March, he did attend the ceremony unveiling his own star on the Hollywood Boulevard, flanked by some of the many screen legends he worked with over a career spanning nearly half a century.

"Everyone here today that I've invited and obviously some that I haven't invited have enriched my life tremendously," Hopper said.

"They've shown me a world that I would never have seen being a farm boy from Dodge City, Kansas, and learning things I would never have learned," he added.

Hopper married five times but his final months had been consumed by a bitter divorce battle with his fifth wife Victoria Duffy. He is survived by four children

What a great loss..an actor with a unique style and humour in his acting, he will be missed :(

I am a Horror movie fan and enjoyed his role in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre II "- Good stuff,He was one of those guys where you wanted to see a film he was in just to see what he was doing in it.