Legion Commander Inspects the Troops

tk210

Greetings troopers!

Albin Johnson here, making his first visit to your Detachment forums as a new part of my Virtual Inspection Tour initiative. Detachments are without a doubt one of the strongest parts of the Legion - when we devised them back in the cave-man days of the Legion it was with the hope the groups could celebrate the unity of a costume group along a theme, and boy has that idea resulted in great work! The Legion may have dozens of costumes, but the public sees Detachments as coming straight out of the Empire! So I am very proud to finally visit and start a regular ongoing dialog here. I've looked around and I'm very impressed with what the MEPD has done.

I am hoping this thread will be a place where you, the Detachment members, can post questions or comments to me and I can respond on my return trips. I can't promise exactly when I'll be back, but I'm hoping to keep a 2-week rotation - more frequently if the activity picks up. Please feel free to voice any concerns you have - while I can't promise instant solutions I can promise I will give each one attention. And don't feel like it has to be formal - we're all friends here - feel free to shoot the breeze, tell me anything cool that's coming up with your unit, or even post pics of Liv Tyler or Summer Glau (that's the running joke on the other forums I visit regularly).

Oh, and allow me to throw in two shameless plugs:

The Legion Archives are growing and we hope to display a LOT of stuff at CV this year. But it's an ongoing project and we need your help to preserve the history of the Legion for future generations. If you have any unique Detachment or general 501st promo items you can contribute it would be a massive boost for us. Anything from patches to fliers to pictures to retired banners to trading cards (signed preferred) then please consider contributing. All items can be mailed to me directly at 300 Braewick Rd Columbia, SC 29212 USA - make sure YOUR part of the Legion history is preserved so we can tell your story.

The card section of the archives was recently updated and you can see what we have/need here:

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/archives/501stcards.html

We only have a few cards from your Detachment run - TD443(signed) and TD8316(signed) so we definitely want to get more MEPD represented in the archives! Thank you

501st key chains and R2-KT key chains are available for $6 apiece (shipping included in the U.S.) - we have PLENTY and you can paypal me at albinj@sc.rr.com . Here are pics of the key chains:

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/501stkeychain.jpg

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/r2kt-keychain.jpg

I'll close it on that note and invite you to please post any and all thoughts, feelings, questions, whatever. This is your chance for your voice to be heard straight up to the top and for me to get to know YOU better.

Thank you for this opportunity.

It's great to have you here man, and I think this is a very positive / wonderful thing you're setting out to do! :duim:

I'll leave it at that and open the floor for anyone else. B)

Wow,now its a chance to say thank you,so THANK YOU :D for your effort back then,maybe i lost somewhere without this detachment at the first place.

Hope you're enjoy your stay,mostly we had sands,plenty of 'em,for 'make-up',remove the smell from our boots,and brush our teeth :P and its free

We also had big animals ready to hunt for meal,i suggest cook it with fire,dont believe the cook droid :lol:

Hi Albin, welcome to the sand box ;)

Hope to see you drop by here and there, now you have found your way to us.

Welcome on board, if i can say that, as you are the maker :D

Hello everyone! Wow, what a welcome! I have to say, so far in my journeys this the most active Detachment forum I've come across. Very good! For those of you wanting to thank me - you're quite welcome, but 99.9% of the hard work for this club has been done by YOU the members in picking up the challenge and making excellent units worldwide. It is YOU carrying the torch into places where Star Wars fans are starving for the magic. And the DL's do the hard work of making these units shine - everyone loves the MEPD!

Point of clarification about my initial post - some detachment leaders took issue with my bringing up the Armored Detachment as an example of how far detachments have come. I should have been more specific - my experience was in the early humble days of that detachment when Zippy was proposing it and I'm happy to see it's come as far as it has. Obviously ALL the detachments have done a great job as evidenced by the enormous resources and membership rosters filling out each one. So please forgive me if there was a perceived slight - it was not intentional. I'm here to talk about your group and what you've done and what you need.

About the special edition sandtroopers - I assume you mean the ones shown in the re-releases? I think they served the purpose of pumping up the excitement level of the story but that's like everything else that went into the movies - more polish, which didn't always fit the older look of the original print. I mean the original sandtroopers were the FIRST model of armor, to be modified and added to for the shiny-whitey guys later (appearing, ironically, earlier in the film). So as the trail-blazers, they could be forgiven for missing the buttons, the over-the-shoulder straps, the stripes, etc. I am personally fine with either the original on-screen or the new edition versions of the sandtroopers. It bugged me seeing the CG guys in certain scenes, but truth be told it's only because I grew up with the original that I even notice them. Nowadays I don't notice at all, really. So like any thing else from the re-release of ANH (with the exception of Han shooting second) I'm okay with them.

I hope that was what the question was aiming for, or were you looking for something a bit more technical in nature? Let me know so I don't go on and on in the wrong direction. :)

Good to see you here AJ!

I applaud all the COs efforts in keeping the 501st a finely tuned machine with a heart of gold.

MEPD's has some of the most talented, welcoming, fun and down right most giving members in the 501st and its awesome to have you here.

Hope to see you often here at the sandpit.

:salute:

• 1 month later...