How to fix a sad frown . . .

hhuggins

Well, I've got my bucket almost complete . . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

. . . but I screwed up painting the frown. Despite being incredibly careful with my masking, I ended up with a sloppy mask line and seepage. Is there a good way to fix this? I didn't paint the armor - it is raw ABS, so I can't just respray the frown white.

Posted Image

Thanks!

HH

Well, the best way to remove paint from plastic surfaces without damaging the plastic, is by using brake fluid. Just brush it on with a brush and let it soak for about an hour and then wipe off with a dry cloth: don't rub. If it doesn't seem to come off, then just brush on another layer of brake fluid and then wipe off after 1 hour, brush on again if necessary and wipe off and continue this until the paint is completely removed.

Though, do NOT leave the brake fluid on there for more than an hour at a time... cause it CAN soak into the plastic and could soften and warp it.

It is quite safe and easy, though, I would recommend doing it in a properly ventilated room.

My paint job looks worse than yours. Most of this can be taken care of by weathering, and even then will only be noticable if people are like a foot away from you.

As pointed out the movie helmets weren't perfectly painted either, so in a way these mistakes make you more accurate

What I did was clean up the overage as best I could (I used paint thinner) and then hand brush as best I could, then ensured I weathered over any gaps.