Replica Move Along bucket build

So, after puting together 5 buckets, I finally got the courage to start this project I've been dreaming about for years now: Building a replica helmet.

This will actually be just like a rehearsal to learn how to work some new techniques and to study all the details in the painting and detailing process of a replica helmet. I will try to emulate all the leaks and tears and scratches and mistakes that ANH helmets have. Trying to make it look like if it was a production helmet 33 years old.

Having said this, I must add that this helmet was not trimmed by me, only put together and now in the process of painting it. So many details as the dreamy eye, the size of teeth and the actual shaping of ears and all is not THAT accurate. Already tried to fix it but, well.. it was trimmed in an not so cool way.

And one more thing juast to prevent any debate, I cant confirm if this bucket is an original sculp, or a recast. It was given to me as a gift, and I think it is a great helmet for what it is. Like it a lot and as mentioned, will be a rehearsal to maybe next making a replica out of a TE2 or a TM... hopefully.

So. Lets get started:

Fisrt, This is what I want to achieve (picture from SW helmets of course):

post-1761-127018304406_thumb.png

And this is the bucket before it was painted (next to my TE2):

post-1761-127018299589_thumb.png

I first had to paint it with the HDPE color of the original material used to make buckets in 1976. So I got a very close color match from "rustoleum specialty for plastic" color Taupe. So just prepared the bucket, light sanding, cleaning and paint. No primer this time cause the paint instructions claim it didnt need it. Direct to plastic paint, it says.

The results were very cool I think. Check this picture.

post-1761-127018212559_thumb.png

Next, I will use a liquid latex paint to mask the scratches and all... And then paint it white.

What do you think?

Saludos

to be continued...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!

I can't wait to see this done.

Will this be purely for display?

Are you actually taking the ears off and everything? Or just going for the "real screen used" look... but not a "prop forgery" type of thing?

So many questions! B)

Looking good so far Juan.

Even your TE2 is trim and assembled a bit more move a long accurate, i´m sure this one will turn out very close to the real deal too.

Can´t wait to see more, have fun whit him along the way.

Cheers bro :)

Nice!

I can't wait to see this done.

Will this be purely for display?

Are you actually taking the ears off and everything? Or just going for the "real screen used" look... but not a "prop forgery" type of thing?

So many questions! B)

HEHEHE...

Well, It is supposed to be for display. But since I have no place left for displaying it, I guess I will need to find some use to it. Maybe wearing it sometime.

I will go for the real screen used look, but with ears and all. Not the forgery thing. Not this time though. It is not trimmed the way I would want to, so I know I would not be happy displaying a "forgery attempt" if it is not 100% accurate.

Anyway, I consider this practice. Lets see how it turns out.

thx for your comments bro.

Saludos.

Looking good so far Juan.

Even your TE2 is trim and assembled a bit more move a long accurate, i´m sure this one will turn out very close to the real deal too.

Can´t wait to see more, have fun whit him along the way.

Cheers bro :)

I have high hopes for this. Specially for learning purposes, but also to end up with a nice replica helmet. It will be a fun ride, that much I know already!

Thx a lot bro.

Saludos.

Juan, you forgot to paint the ears!

Hehehe, just kidding bro! You're off to a good start. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

HEHEHE! Ups!! I knew it looked weird!

Thx bro.

Wonderful work , looking good so far. I can't wait for the next progress of work.

THX bro... I high lots of expectations for this one.

Lets see how it turns out.

Saludos.

Update...

I painted with liquid latex-like paint all the details on the bucket that I wanted to show the original HDPE color like cracks and all that. It was lots of fun and not very difficult. I was very exited at this stage. Planning where would look like what and all that.

I planned two different approaches:

For places were the khaki color will completely be shown, and... For this, I will finish the paint jobe and just remove completely thye latex afterwards, exposing the paint under the white coat.

For places were you can tell there was a crack, but then was repaired, showing the khaki color under a light layer of white and sometimes a real crack on the plastic. For this, I will remove the latex from the places I want to show as repaired cracks, and then give it a light white coat over all. Therefore, allowing the khaki to show a bit.

So this is how the bucket looked with latex applied:

post-1761-127043136617_thumb.gif

post-1761-127043144178_thumb.gif

Then, I used Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel Gloss White, followed all the instructions, knowing that this is not the easiest paint to work with. Shaking it for almost 3 minutes non stop. Then applying light coats instead of a thick one... etc...

So, ears attached, lets go paint:

post-1761-127043134233_thumb.gif

But something went WRONG!!

Mos Eisley, we have a problem...

To form the drops of paint to copy those on the original helmet, I think I applied to much paint at once in the same place. So the drops appeared, but also some sort of "fish scales" on it.

I guess you can unerstand when I say I was completely frustrated with it, to say the less:

Here is how it looks:

post-1761-12704314106_thumb.gif

This happened in a few places. Like 6 or 7 places all around. Different sizes and shapes.

So, for me, there are two ways to go now:

1. Ignore this and pretend it was on purpose to give it more character and make it looks older, or

2. Sand this places and paint again.

The thing is, I had this paint broght from the USA cause they dont sell it here, and its not possible to buy it on line and have it send here. And I just have less that 15% of the can left. So... I am affraid to make another mistake and completely ruin the bucket. At least the paint job...

This is haw it looks now anyway:

post-1761-127043150061_thumb.gif

Not so bad huh?

So..

Has anyobody worked with this paint before and had this happened?

Does anybody knows a better solution for this.

Is sanding it a good option... or even more:

Does anyone really think this scaling gives the bucket character and looks "accurate-ish" considering this is supposed to be a replica and not for trooping???

Big THX for any help, feedback or comments!

Saludos.

nice (another!) project Juan.

paint is often difficult, it is a particulary works.

i already had this problem with some area on my pack, it was doing a bad effect with too much paint.

if you scratch only the surface, problem you will have a different layer and it will turn not really good when you will apply new paint coat.

with my little experience i can say you will must to scratch all the back part of the helmet and redoing a complete painting of this piece.

i don't imagine what it will turn if you let it like now. maybe it will be ok.

Thx Jerome...

Yep, Paint is a difficult issue. Specially paint over plastic I would say. Had this same problem with my first pack about 3 years ago, but at that time I thought it looked cool and left it like that. Today, Im not so sure.

I was thinking of leaving some of the scaled paint on some areas. This actually looks cool to me cause it looks like old paint. But not the part on the back of the dome and one part on the side.

But the main problem here is that I cant take the bucket apart cause it has already been riveted and Im affraid I will ruin it if I try to cut off the rivets or whatever. Even if it does not looks like it, I am very clumsy when working with tools. So Im afraid I can ruin the whole piece.

What I am thinking now. is that I can just sand the paint enough to soften or even disappear the scales and then re paint lightly that area. But just that area and not the whole bucket.

According to the paint instructions, its ok to give the paint a second layer after 48 hours. That would be tonight. So, hopefully, Ill make it home in time to sand those areas and have enough paint to repair it. I don't expect (or want) a crisp shinny perfect looking idealized Stormtrooper helmet , but an old looking low budget movie prop.

So... what do you think. I'm trying to imagine all possible solutions in my mind. My deadline is tonite as I dont want to miss that 48 hours deadline.

If you have any other idea, solution or tip for working with this kind of paint. Pls let me know...

Saludos.

I'm not a paint dude, but the sanding method sounds the safest. This is as you say a way to learn as much as re-create a prop.

THX bro...

I guess thats what Ill end up doing, unless someone can suggest a better idea.

Just sanding lightly till I can re do the paint job... hopefully it will turn out at least acceptable.

I'm learning as I work. Love this hobby!

Saludos

yeah if you have riveted the back and face plate it will be difficult to separate it, possible but not without risk.

and if you want to make a old looking helmet it is probably a good solution to repaint just the area after light sanding, and maybe the effect will be a success, you can't sure of it before doing these.

just try it, and maybe it turn good :D

otherwise you will must to sand all the helmet and re doing a complete paint... :blink:

Well... I did sand it. Sand it with a fine writ sandpaper until it was smooth...

Then I painted it, this time with very thin layers with the remaining paint until it looked fine. And it worked!!!

At least on the dome, it worked... Some parts I did not dare to sand too much, and some parts I actually wanted to live them as they were cause they were just cracked and not really scaled so it gave the helmet an aged look.

I also pealed some latex that was supposed to be covered with a light coat of white before painting it again.

Here it is:

post-1761-127052470674_thumb.jpg

And then, after the paint settled in for about 1 hour, I painted over the exposed khaki plastic with testors gloss white and some thinner and then, started peeling the rest of the latex too.

This gave it the cool aged, repaired damaged look of the real prop.

Here it is:

post-1761-127052473138_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052473982_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052474609_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052475651_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052476326_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052477689_thumb.jpg

And this is just a preview of how it will look when finished:

post-1761-127052479168_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127052479773_thumb.jpg

Side by side:

post-1761-127052513302_thumb.jpg

So far turned alright I think... and the scaling that was left add it some character, and doesn't even show that much I think.

I will just let it cure for about 24 to 48 hours... and then start the hand painted details...

Im really excited with the results.

What do you guys think?

Saludos....

That's looking so awesome man! :D

So awesome man! :duim::duim:

the result is really amazing, vintage style for sure!

THX a lot for your comments and encouragement!

And yes, I like how its coming out. Vintage for sure!

LOL...

Saludos.

I have downloaded a few pictures of the bucket after sanding and before painting... and also of the details after scratching the latex and painting the details on the cracks, before paint too.

Here they are:

post-1761-127067681673_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127067683398_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127067684071_thumb.jpg

Im in the process of handpainting the details of the traps and ear. Just need to get the humbrol gray and the blue for the stripes.

Hope to get them soon.

Will post some updates soon.

Saludos.

This is almost done! At least on the outside...

I have painted the blue stripes with Humbrol 14 and the Vents and frown with testors 1138 and Satin Balack.

The blue stripes were made by putting some painters tape in two parallel lines, and then drawing with pencil the curve lines. Finally with a thin brush I painted the lines. This was my first time with Humbrol and being used to the super smooth and thin Testors, working with this thicker paint was a bit difficult for me at first. I made a mess with it. ****!!

The blue paint was all around and the painters tape was not the best option for masking. I was very very angry.

Then i tried to paint with white over the blue a few hours later, but the humbrol was still not dry. So, another mess... good luck is I was able to correct it, kindof anyway...

So, at the end, the blue loooks great, the stripes, not so much.

So... here are a few pictures, what do you think?

post-1761-127119919538_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127119921159_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127119921684_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127119922321_thumb.jpg

post-1761-12711992302_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127119923859_thumb.jpg

And this is my Move Along collection...

post-1761-127119924693_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for the correct rubber trims for the eyebrow, and buttom. And need to finish the maple leaf foam and add the elastics to the inside... not so much left on this project...

What do you think?

Saludos.