How Much Does Your Backpack Weighs?

Gordonator

What do you guys use for the mortar tube? PVC pipe? I reckon that contribute quite a lot to the weight?

The Crashmann kit comes with a very thin, VERY lightweight clear tube that you have to prime and then paint black.

I use a tenite butyrate tubing. It is clear, lightweight and strong.

Yeah, that's what the Crashmann kit has too I think.

Looks the same.

Different planters.

Mine weighs about the same too.I have a Crashmann with the light tube,I have repaired it once already.The pitcher lid broke off the tube.I was trooping in a mobbed,tight little fundraiser-you really have to maneuver yourself well in those small places with the pack.I am pretty sure the lighter tube helps with the weight issue,another great tip (courtsey of this site) which helps with saving your back was the strap that joins to two straps under your chest plate.I had a old backpack that came with straps with a cross strap with a release buckle in the middle-came in very handy.

What I have been using for the mortar tube on all my pack builds is a 2" Black ABS pipe. It is very lightweight, much lighter than the PVC stuff and more durable than the clear plastic tube. The other bonus is it's already black, so there is no priming or painting! It is hard to find and I am lucky enough to have a Home Depot nearby that stocks it regularly (not all of them do). If anyone wants one for there pack, let me know. I can cut it to size also.

Hmmm I may look into that black ABS at my home depot next time around. I just replaced the clear tube on my crashmann pack, it took some pretty good damage at a couple of troops and cracked where the bolts were. I just used some PVC this time around, so it's very strong now but has added some weight of course.

That ABS might be a worthwhile option for the near future.

• 1 month later...

This is a kit I scratch built at 8lbs 3oz.....

Posted Image

not perfect i know but with every one i make a little bit of progress.....someday ill play around with vac form and cast my own parts but until then....its alot of cutting and gluing of melted plastic ;)