Pouch Conversion

Okay, I'm going to "antique" my post-war MP40 pouches. I'll be documenting progress here. Let's see how close I can get them... First step, I put a 3/4" X 1 1/2" piece of wood in the pouch, and commenced beating it with a hammer. The leather on the movie pouches seemed a lot more broken-in, so this first step seems logical. Next, I think I'll run over it with my car. Pouch in the picture has had about 10 minutes of hammering on the right-most pouch. It is already feeling a little softer, and not looking quite so crisp. Stay tuned!

Posted Image

I'm going to purchase those replica canvas MP-40 pouches and remove certain parts, add them to my Norweigian leather ones (shown above) to get them as close to the original as possible for the shoulder pouch. If I'm successful, I'll show you folks the results.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm done! I started by getting them wet, and forming the pouches with the piece of wood above. The point was largely to get rid of the rounded, stiff look they had. After a bit of work, they looked good. I decided to also convert one of the pouches to a different look. I'm real happy with how they turned out! Sadly, my CPU at home is currently fried, so no pics for now I know, I know. I'll post them asap.

• 2 years later...

Im bringing this thread back from death cause I want to weather - wear off my Stolla Wien replica pouches. I know these are not the best replicas out there, but is pretty much the best available in Mexico. They are made from leather. One is thick leather and the other is a little thinner.

Posted Image

I am curious about the method Seth described here. But since this is a very old thread, the pictures are no longer available... Has anyone done something like this?

I think the method described here is as follows:

1. Insert a piece of wood in each of the 3 slots.

2. Hit it with a hammer repeatedly for a few minutes.

3. Run over them with a car (or maybe just kick them around the yard and step on them)

4. Wet the pouches, place a wood board on top of them and hammer them again.

And I would add:

5. Hairspray it and kick it around the yard once more.

And then what? What can I expect to get from this?

Does this sounds right?

I guess it wont need any weathering afterwars, does it?

Anyone has any alternative method?

Thanks for any help...

Saludos

Be careful bro!! i dont know much 'bout leather,but i do know that leather types acts different each one,try on a sample first

Thx... I will try with a rubber hammer on a flap or something and see how it goes...

Does anyone else have tried this?

How about just throwing it into very hot water and just try to bent it in every direction?

Saludos...

• 2 weeks later...

any luck bro? :)

by the way,where did you got those repro pouches of yours? :D

Well, I have already weathered my pouches and pauldron... I will start a new thread in a few minutes and will copy/paste the link here just in case...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry56610

I got the pouches from a fellow mexican trooper. He had them specially made by some ppl who work for the mexican army or something. Im not sure but I think its some kind of workshop specialized in army ammo pouches and uniforms. Its a replica made by a person that makes real army issued pouches...

Saludos