A little helmet help please!

Smally

Troops,

Whilst waiting for my armour to be made I am about to start weathering my TM sandy helmet. Now, I have got all the pigments needed and have read all of the different methods people have posted, but I am wanting some ideas for the style of weathering i.e. heavy or light etc etc.

Therefore could I ask those of you that have finished your buckets to post up some pics to help me out along the way? (plus it's just another excuse for you guys to show off your helmets!).

Cheers guys,

Small.

When it comes to weathering your gear, it's a matter of personal preference. On my armor, I went kind of light on my bucket but a little heavier on the chest, abs, legs and shins. I'm always finding that I'm constantly changing my weathering and have moded mine at least a half a dozen time in the past two years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not the greatest photo I have but i hope it helps mate.

It's totally like bountyone said... personal taste.

I thought I wanted my weathering heavier when I started... but then after I'd done it that way I realized I didn't like it like I thought I would, so I redid it... and redid it... and redid it. :)

You can see some videos of my weathering here...

My TE2 prior to weathering it.

My TE2 after my first round of (heavy) weathering.

My TE2 after final weathering.

I always like these threads to see all the differences. My weathering is a bit heavy for some and it's funny, I was the opposite of nol. I started out light the first time, because I thought I would like it that way but I realized I wanted it dirty. So after the third time, I was happy but I do find myself making changes here and there over time lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey guys,

It's funny how much the style can change from one helmet to the other. It is obviously about the trooper's personality and it shows!

Thanks for all of the pics so far.

Plastic Fury - I like the style of the back of yours. I think you have made it look almost as if there is a very small amount of rust around the ear pieces. Nice!

Nol - thanks for the vids mate, I remember that you sent me some pics a while back of your kit when you had originally applied for deployment. Now I can see the bucket much clearer! If you don't mind, I am stealing your idea of the way the sand looks as though it has been blown out of the frown vents and stained the lid WOW!

Keep 'em coming troops!

Cheers

Smally.

Bountyone - I have just seen the pic you added to the bottom of your post(with the hot bird!). That's what I was thinking for my abs and chest armour - Just a little here and there. I also see that you have done the seams of your pauldon. Was that done with pigment paints also?

Man this is really helping me out!

Smally.

Nol - thanks for the vids mate, I remember that you sent me some pics a while back of your kit when you had originally applied for deployment. Now I can see the bucket much clearer! If you don't mind, I am stealing your idea of the way the sand looks as though it has been blown out of the frown vents and stained the lid WOW!

You bet... steal away. I get more "compliments" on that look than anything else on my armor. :duim:

HEHE... I always like building threads but if they get mixed with show-off threads... welll... LOL!

Here are a few picts of both my TE2 buckets. Both are inspired in the Move Along trooper and a went for a Less is More approach, but then, it is not so "less" anyway.

I used multi layer technique with acrylic paints.

With this one, I used black, yellow and brown paint, and added some yellow pigments simulating sand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And with this one I used black, tan, light brown, brown, redish brown, and no pigments.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope it helps.

Saludos

Bountyone - I have just seen the pic you added to the bottom of your post(with the hot bird!). That's what I was thinking for my abs and chest armour - Just a little here and there. I also see that you have done the seams of your pauldon. Was that done with pigment paints also?

Man this is really helping me out!

Smally.

Thanks mate, I use "Min Wax" stain on all my weathering jobs I do on armour. I feel it has a natural rust look to it when applied.

Two TE2's!?! that's just greedy bro! (I'm just sick with jealousy ;) )

Loving that 'sleepy eye' look of the "MOVE ALONG" trooper - that's the first thing I look for on sandys now.

Maybe one day after my upcoming wedding I will be able to get a TE2.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmTE2mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Smally.

Here's a thread about my weathering.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5025&hl=weathering&st=0

and the final results;

Posted Image

I guess i go dirtier than some and cleaner than some,

But like the others have already said, It's a reflection of the individual doing it.

Man I love this thread, there is not one bad helmet in the bunch.

Sandtroopers are like snow flakes no two are ever the same.

Which is one of the things that makes being a TD so cool IMHO. Unlike our TK and Clone brothers we get to give our armor a little of our own personality.

It safe to say that no matter which way you decide to go you will change it up a few times before its all said and

done.

And most important post a ton of picture for us to see. ;)

Posted Image

my thoughts (not that i have made myself dirty yet) is shouldnt the "high" areas be much cleaner than the cracks lower areas i mean i would assume that the empires finest would at least attempt to wipe down their armor once and a while.....

my thoughts (not that i have made myself dirty yet) is shouldnt the "high" areas be much cleaner than the cracks lower areas i mean i would assume that the empires finest would at least attempt to wipe down their armor once and a while.....

I myself have thought that too and thats why I go a little heavier on the weathering in the seams, cracks and areas that dirt/sand would not easily be cleaned.

• 3 months later...

It's totally like bountyone said... personal taste.

I thought I wanted my weathering heavier when I started... but then after I'd done it that way I realized I didn't like it like I thought I would, so I redid it... and redid it... and redid it. :)

You can see some videos of my weathering here...

My TE2 prior to weathering it.

My TE2 after my first round of (heavy) weathering.

My TE2 after final weathering.

GREAT LID MATE,LIKE THE VIDS TOO MATE,VERY INFORMATIVE! B):salute:

pics tell it better than i can say

but i do scrub the shiny surface OFF

If you live in your armour and id say they would, and work in an arid environment on a planet in a binary system..your armour would be sunbleached and bone-like in appearance,, oh and i dont dissapear in 'flash' photography :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im with Nol....a little more than movie...And really we dont know what they all "really" looked like. With photography....film and lighting the way it was....the actual images that we see are going to be different than the real thing.

Posted Image

true rick! i mean who would have thought han solo's hoth jacket was grey!!!!!!??? just the filters etc; that gave the blue appearance! i'd imagine the vintage anh tunisia photos would show the weathering up on the td's accurately!,shame most pics were black and white though! :(

here's mine,just a rub with some wrinkled shirt for the 'background pattern' and then added with my nails and cloth for the details :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

on direct sunlight

Posted Image

true rick! i mean who would have thought han solo's hoth jacket was grey!!!!!!??? just the filters etc; that gave the blue appearance! i'd imagine the vintage anh tunisia photos would show the weathering up on the td's accurately!,shame most pics were black and white though! :(

HEHEHE!

Actually, it was brown but appeared bleu.

But nevermind.

I know what you all mean.

:D

Saludos