How to take great pictures of your armor.

iconoclasta_88

So...

I have been in the hobby for 3 1/5 years now. In that time, I have always dreamed of that GREAT picture of myself in armor. But so far, very few of them look cool. I have seen many many pictures on the net and the forums of troopers in many different ways, positions, angles and styles. But I must say that very few of them look really cool.

For me it is about many things:

-Bucket appearing proportional to the rest of the body

-Legs not appearing short or thin

-Neck actually long enough to bring the bucket a bit apart from the shoulders

-Position

-Detail and resolution

-Lighting

-General shape of armor not deformed by angle and lense

And so on...

I know it has also to do with heigh and size of the person, but Im thinking beyond that. No only in shape, but in camera variables.

Here are a few examples of pictures I consider to be taken in a great way, proportion, position, angle, lense, etc...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A trick I learned here on the forum that is very useful for taking pictures of the bucket is steping a couple of meters back and then zoom in over the bucket. This makes it look better than just taking the picture as it is.

Another trick I learned is taking the pictures from a lower angle. At the hight of the waist or even lower. But it not always comes out that great.

And finally, I guess that if the picture is taken from farder, the armor will look with a better proportion...

But, what are your tricks or techniques for having great pictures taken???

Saludos.

Copy that Juan.

I once show a few pictures, here on the mepd.

Where i just took a picture of a helmet close up, it look too round and very bad.

I then took a picture a few meters back, and then cut the pics.

Now the pics show, how the helmet look in real life.

I normal use iphoto, to cut, chance tones/light/dark, make then sharper etc...

Heres one ;)

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Taking the shots outdoor is the best. Indoor lightning at home can never beat good old sunshine. Unless it's studio shoot with proper lightning equipment.

I don't like shots shot with flash as well. Unless it's a proper external flash. Flash often give ghastly results. Subject too bright, especially since our armour is kinda reflective and background all dark. :(

Choosing a simple background helps too. :)

I am lucky that a garrison member is a professional photographer so our picture normally turn out top-notch...some of the tips he has always made is head down at a slight angle, body turned at a 25-45 degree angle, keep elbows and knees slightly bent, front foot pointed towards camera. Those are only the ones I can remember...mainly cause those are the ones I forget when posing.