Were the Sandtroopers in Star Wars a SWAT?

Okay yea stupid question of the day goes to...

Besides the Sandtroopers were there any other cops in Mo Eisley?

I ask cuz doesn't it seem that the sandys on Mos Eisley have all the characteristics of a SWAT unit?

And what about a Sandtrooper K-9 unit?

Or the Sandtrooper doughnut shop?

Or crap here comes the boss back to work..

Yes, local unarmored police called "Militiamen".

Some mounted Sandtroopers.

Interestingly, the primary troopers who follow the droid trail in ANH are drop-ins from an orbiting ship..not local Garrison (MEPD).

You know I never thought about that.

Is that why on on the way into Mos Eisley; Luke and Ben pass two seemingly normal Stormtroopers??

You know I never thought about that.

Is that why on the why on the way into Mos Eisley; Luke and Ben pass two seemingly normal Stormtroopers??

In the special edition perhaps. I just watched ANH the other night. I think they were all from off-planet actually, combing different parts of the area. It was a pretty sizable force if they are that spread out.

MEPD is a cool play on just one part of what troopers were doing in the movie and while fun to be honest I don't think there was a local Imperial presence. Else you'd not have had as much open crime activity, and also the fact that in the movie the premise is that Tatooine is very very far removed from the center of the Empire.

In the special edition perhaps. I just watched ANH the other night. I think they were all from off-planet actually, combing different parts of the area. It was a pretty sizable force if they are that spread out.

MEPD is a cool play on just one part of what troopers were doing in the movie and while fun to be honest I don't think there was a local Imperial presence. Else you'd not have had as much open crime activity, and also the fact that in the movie the premise is that Tatooine is very very far removed from the center of the Empire.

Tatooine was pretty well known for it's crime syndicates, I wouldn't be surprised if the empire just kept a particular crime lord (Jabba for example) in power because the "the devil you know" situation. All the troopers on Tatooine I believe are part of Vader's elite unit (Same guys that stormed the rebel ship in the beginning.) That being said, I would not be surprised if they left a fairly big contingent of troopers there after they had landed, they just probably would not receive reinforcements.

There was/is a small Imperial Garrison (Sandies) on the planet. There is a small Imperial Govt and a Imperial appointed Governor. The normal everyday police duties are usually executed by the local "Militia". The Imp Garrison is based at Mos Esley. After ANH, the garrison is increased. "Davin Felth" was among the large numbers of Stormtroopers deployed on the planet to chase the two droids.

A deep and probing question...beats the heck out of me. I recall the Troopers deployed from ships being refered to as "Desert Sands Det" ??? Certainly, not all Stormtroopers are fully trained for desert ....The garrison on Tattoine definately is. I don't think Davin was. Supposedly, Vader's basic unit he deploys personally is the 501st. I've never seen a serious breakdown of what that unit looks like....nor any other Stormtrooper unit?

• 3 months later...

The 20-30 Sandtroopers assigned/garrisoned to Tatooine are referred to as the "37th Detachment". Detached from what or whom??? Davin Felth and his small unit of 21 Stormtoopers (under Capt Terrik)are a replacement unit for the 37th. There is no mention of 501st. After the Droid incident...Tatooine is more fully garrisoned. (see "When the Desert Wind Turns" (Beason))

"Star Wars Allegiance" (Zahn) suggests the 501st is one among many Stormtrooper units and states the stormtroopers in the book consider the 501st a sort of Vader elite unit... Caeser's "X Legion"

Clones: I believe...by ANH, Clones are a distinct minority among the Stormtroopers...gone? It would be interesting to know how they were used//spread within the Corps? Would the 37th detachment have one or two Clones in it's ranks? Crickey! :)

Would the 37th detachment have one or two Clones in it's ranks? Crickey!

theres only a 20 ish year gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, so it only stands to reason that the ranks would still have older clones within them, and as Battlefront II is considered a part of the SW history, Temuera states that the clones were given "shiney new suits" when the Emporer came to power.

Also as the governing power is a dictatorship, the 'police' play a very small role, as with all dictatorships, the majority of 'policing' is under the guise of military law.

As such all military units 'police' under the orders from superiors, but ultimately those orders would come from the Emporer

According to that noted tome of SW lore, Wookiepedia...."By 0 BBY (ANH), about one-third of the stormtroopers originated from the Fett DNA, with 'human' recruits filling out the rest of the ranks"

Sandtroopers would be fulfilling a "Constabulary" role as was done in Germany/Japan just after WW2.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!!

This is very interesting.

Have never been much into EU, and always thought of the MEPD as the 501st club detachment. Not as part of the actual SW universe for real. MMM??? Ok. That sounded weird.

I thought of the MPED as something we created and that is only part of the SW universe because we gave it a background story.

I know of many things happening in Mos Eisley after and before ANH, including troops stationed there. But never actually knew the stories...

Interesting.

Anyway, I more of a OT guy. Not so much EU...

What I am really interested in now is in that Mos Eisley Doughnut joint... where is it?

Is there any cantina or bar for MEPD officers. You know, like bars where cops go for a drink after a hard day???

;)

Oh!! And does anyone knows of a place to get some cool marinara jawa subs?

HEHEHE!!

Saludos.