latest bucket weathering

Daric LaRone

I really like the forehead spots. Looks like dust and aging together...

I think most of the helmet could use a bit a more "dusty" look. Not so painted, more organic and natural weathering. The blackish/grayish areas are looking really good. Maybe work a bit more on the yellow.

Remember it should look like dust and sand, not so much as mud... Paint is tricky, but you are doing fine so long.

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

Juan, thank you so much; this helps a lot. When I looked at the photos myself I thought the same thing: I too like the way the areas on the top, forehead/temples turned out... I'll tone down the paint all over and try to replicate those blackish/greyish areas on the facial areas, on the sides, and the back. I think the key is patting down/toning down the painted areas and going over it with my weathering powder- that's how I got the areas on the forehead to turn out that way. The weatheirng powder will help with a more dusty look that you mentioned I believe.

The crevaces, especially in the face, are difficult to get the right mix of paint and weathering powder as you all know... but I'm staying on it.

Thanks again Juan; any other comments welcome from any troopers.

What do you think? Constructive criticism always welcome...

Posted Image

Posted Image

My observation on your weathering is focused on the "eyes" areas of your Helmet. If the contrast is not caused by the flash of your digital camera, perhaps you can spread out the weathering underneath the eyes. Build it up in layers to simulate dirt and dust that are trapped under the "eyes".

Peter and Justus, thanks so much.

Here is the latest round.

Tell me please- should I keep posting updates here or open another thread with latest updates?

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm not a very good judge of my own work. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks as always for constructive criticism.

This is so much better looking than your 1st attempt already, a more natural look and approach.

I am especially pleased with the effect that you have created in the mic tip area, good job A+

I myself always try to get the glossy effect reduced to a minimum. When I weather armor I always start with applying slate grey or black and then wipe it almost all of with a soft cloth. Then take some burnt umber to create the dirty spots and highlight them with yellow ocher..I use as what I myself call the mr. Miyagi approach...wax on, wax off but then with paint :lol: It gives a great effect...at least that's what I think.

For the mic area I use olive drap in combination with the yellow ochre again.

Everybody uses a different technique to get the desired result, but it is your own point of view that counts the most. If you are satisfied with the result you're there...but is is always a good thought to take other troopers advice in consideration.

But keep up the good work there Daric!! :duim:

It is really starting to look great!

Its better and better...

One thing I can see is that white areas are too white and shiny. If you want to keep it like that, thats great... if you wish to kill some of those reflections, just spread some dust/dirt all over the helmet, but dont use any glue or hairspray under it. Then dust it off and thats it.

I really like how it is turning out!

Good job trooper!

Saludos.

Thanks guys; I so appreciate it.

I read somewhere on MEPD that you actually wanted some gloss to still show through b/c it is more screen accurate that way, but I always thought that the gloss would/should be really toned down as you both mentioned. So that will be the final task and I'll only be a parsec away from applying for Deployment.

I really like the looks of what I've come up with and to get confirmation that my own personal opinion carries a lot of weight makes me feel much better. I'm the one wearing the suit after all right? :)

Thanks again for the encouragement, compliments, and helpful suggestions; it means a lot. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking good Daric!! I'm with the thoughts on the previous posts. A good way to bring down the shine is to use a scotchbrite pad. You want the helmet to look weathered throughout the whole thing with transition colors and natural markings. Basically paint the whole thing then rub it off...repeat rhe process until the desired look is achieved. This will give you layers of effect.