Correct Frame?

hhuggins

So I'm finally getting around to building my pack. I picked up this boyscout frame on eBay last year and am wondering if it's the correct one? If it is the correct frame, what do I need to do to it? I know I need to bend the main frame rails, but do I need to remove the upper cross rail? Any help would be appreciated!

HH

Posted Image

Thanks Mike! So what parts do I need to remove? From pics, it looks like the top cross rail and the rail on the bottom will have to go. Then I'll need to add some other cross members for the seed trays to attach to. Does that sound right?

HH

Check out Mike's Sandtrooper Backpack photo gallery:

http://gallery.mac.com/mikeharrison#100129...k&view=grid

You'll see the frame modifications about halfway down. Keep the top horizontal bar, but chop off the vertical pieces above the bar. At the bottom of the frame, cut an inch or two off the two bars that stick out, away from your butt. Then use wooden dowels inside the frame and glue them back together.

You're on the right track - to mount the seed trays, use horizontal strips of plastic. Or go to the hardware store and buy some 1/2" wide aluminum strips.

Charlie

On my current pack, I was able to glue the seed trays directly to the frame with E6000.

BTW, I got one of those exact frames this weekend and went totally crazy hacking it up. I even went so far as to remove almost two inches of width from both the top and bottom bars to best fit the seed trays. Mind you, I'm working on a different backup, not Sandtrooper. Details to come.

Also, use wooden dowels, affix them with some hot glue and then use copious amounts of Gorilla Glue to secure the bond. It will expand in the frame and make the re-connections solid.