Memorial Day 2009

hpdblues

I hope every American observes a moment of silence at 1500 hours, on May 25, 2009 in rememberance of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

Thank you to all the veterans, active duty & retired, for your service to the United States of America.

With deepest respect,

:salute:

Anthony D. SAGUN

Master Sergeant, USAF (Ret)

I salute all of those that serve, or have served. And especially my deepest gratitude towards those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, their lives.

2nd Lt. Norwegian Military Police (ret.)

I have had lots of family serve in the armed forces, and have come back home but there are a few who didn't come home.....

My Uncle Bill served in vietam in the 60's in the Air force...He is happily married today and doing well.

My Uncle Claude Goetsch served in WW2, was wounded and came back home...Here is his marker as he died of cancer in 1985

Posted Image

here is my great great great Uncle who died from wounds he sustained in the Civil War during the battle of Chickamunga in Georgia in Sept. 12 -13 of 1863. His name, Dennis J. Murphy is on a memorial here as he was buried in Tenn. after being in the hospital there.Here is his name and regiment he was in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PVT. James McGowan, another great great great Uncle died serving in the Civil War in August 1864 to Jan 19th 1865..when he died from disease...They think it was small pox...He was just 19 years old...I found his marker inthe Irish section of the St Columba cemetary after doing family research to confirm we had family in the Civil War.

Posted Image

Another family member, PVT. Asbury Houchin served with the 104th Illinois Infantry, company H and went down to Chickamunga, Ga. as my other relative did. He returned safely and was discharged in 1864. He is buried in Iowa.

Memorial Day was actually called Decoration day and was started in 1868 to remember those w ** had died in the Civil War and the family's that had thier loved ones bodies returned would go out and decorate thier graves on this day...It actually took place on May 6th. 1868.

Memorial Day wasent really a holiday till a law was passed in 1971 that proclaimed the last monday in May was Memorial day to remember all fallen troops not just the Civil War.

ShortTrooper (Diana)