Vents In The Grey Areas On Our Td Buckets?

Tyranneix

I've seen a Legion member or two with the grey areas on their buckets cut out and replaced with a very fine mesh screen or fabric o the web somewhere. However, I've kinda met with some opposition (clean TKs) on this subject recently on a well done mod being accepted by the legion. They say that you can cut the stipes in the grey areas out and be alright to add ventalation to your bucket, however cutting the area out totally is bad juju. I guess they forget TDs don't have stripes, :rolleyes: oh well. So I bring this here to you.

Here are a couple of pics that I found on the web somewhere (could very well be someone's bucket here listed at MEPD) that demostrates what I am looking to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is seen at a couple of feet away..

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is seen up close and shows the mesh detail..

Posted Image

and of course this is the interior detail...

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I searched the topics and didn't find anything on this so far. I'd like to get the MEPD's view on this. I would be interested on your responses and points of view. Also any one who has done this type of mod or has pics of this type of mod, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

Wow... I've seen people cut part of the surround out... evne some of the stripes but never completely and replaced with mesh... Actually looks pretty good from a distance but I doubt it would be okay officially...

Extremely nifty..maybe abit finer mesh? I was thinking of cutting holes just above/under the browband...where the 2 gray patches are and cover with mesh. Wouldn't normally show. Anything to increase ventilation.

done that. used a bigger mesh though, been meanign to go thew otehr way.

i personally woudl do the radio ones on the dome, but have dont these....

Posted Image

Posted Image

that was on my old FX helmet

I'd need to see it in person, but I'm not sure I'm too keen on the idea of such a mod, esp. Unless this was your "parade" helmet and you had another one for when people see you up close.

I'd need to see it in person, but I'm not sure I'm too keen on the idea of such a mod, esp. Unless this was your "parade" helmet and you had another one for when people see you up close.

Very true. I'll post pics when I actually start on it.. hopefully it will look pretty kewl and be cool as well.. lol

It's FX anyway. so right off the bat it a temp helmet as I have to have another bucket to get deployed status. ;)

I like both of those options. I really like 7603's big holes. I'm not much of an 100% accurate kind of person so I'd like to experiment. I've got a friend that is really good with a dremel and we have talked about cutting out the lines in the side of the jaw but I'm undecided.

The only part I don't like the screen on is the cheek area. It just seems odd compared to the rest.

As far as the Clean TK's go, couldn't they just paint in the black stripes?

I love the idea of increased ventilation in the buckets. I don't mind seeing some minor differences with innovation.

As with military and law enforcement, there are often minor and sometimes more-than-minor differences from vendor to vendor. Since screen used costumes weren't of high quality anyway, good idea improvements should be welcomed.

Perhaps...

Cut three of the four black bordered sides of each grey vent section and support with finer mesh.

Gives appearence that the 'vents' are closed, but allows some heat to escape and avoid condensation.

:angry:"5 - 2 - 8 - chZZZZAAAAPPP" :lol:

yes that was my parade helmet. its an FX as well.

i havnt modded my RT helmet just yet. if i dio, ill use better materials for that area so you can tell, and ill prolly only use the back

cant wait. i just did this to my clone bucket aerators.

drilled out the center part with large drill bit. prolly 1/2"

used 4 layers of different mesh/screening and different colors of paint.

what do you think?

Posted Image

i MIGHT do this with my TD lid.

ok I finished painting the black areas around the vents and all the grey cloth is now mounted in the vents. I've still got to rework the hovis (making my own) and install the black cloth behind the grey cloth (to make it harder to see me in the mask), however this is what I have so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These three pics were taken from 3 feet away using the flash on my camera. In my opinion, you can see very little detail int he cloth from that distance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were taken from less than a foot away and you can see more detail in the cloth.

Well let me know what you think. I'd like to fill in the gaps between the bucket and the ears but I really don't want to have to paint the bucket, so I might not worry about. I also repainted the chin and repainted the stripes on the ears, raised the brow to more TD standards and trimmed down the green lenses a bit more to accomodate the cloth in the vent areas. Oh and I still need to acquire a set of blue FX tube stripes again. I got a set of black ones instead. With money as tight as it is, I think I'm doing pretty good so far! More to come later!

Hm interesting mod. Looks much better, than this version with large holes. But try remove this black rim and paint this black rim on this cloth. Because with this rim looks a bit strange. I think primary goal is to have more air in bucket and to be inconspicuous. So no one notice, that you really cut you precious bucket.

Hm interesting mod. Looks much better, than this version with large holes. But try remove this black rim and paint this black rim on this cloth. Because with this rim looks a bit strange. I think primary goal is to have more air in bucket and to be inconspicuous. So no one notice, that you really cut you precious bucket.

I actually tried painting the cloth on one of the many tests I did and it didn't look right. so I went this route. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. However I can't wait to get my non-fx bucket.