Special Edition Td Pack - Canon?

Treganter

Hi guys,

I'm just starting out in this great hobby, and am still in the research phase of my TD kit before I start punishing my VISA :)

I've surfed alot of sites and had a fairly good look through the MEPD forum and, while I've noticed that folk are making fantastic variants of the Marmit and "Classic" packs, no-one seems to have made this particular variant.

It appears in the extended "Look Sir, droids" scene in the special edition. It appears to be a "modern" version of the Marmit but with alot more hose and what appears to be weathered metal cases. The mortar tube also has a rounded end and appears to resemble a disposable AT launcher.

I'm considering trying my hand at it but I'm concerned that it may not be considered canon by the MEPD (as I'd like to join at some stage I don't want to start off badly... ;) )

Any thoughts?

I'd also like to be put in contact with anyone who may be able to sell me the vac-form pieces I'll need in construction (radio plate / cups etc)

Thanks for any help guys, can't wait to get trooping!

Lon.

As far as I know, no one has made an accurate or even slightly resembling SE BackPack. There's just not a lot of reference material and generally speaking, collectively, the members of the MEPD - including myself - have never liked the SE Sandtroopers.

As far as I know, no one has made an accurate or even slightly resembling SE BackPack. There's just not a lot of reference material and generally speaking, collectively, the members of the MEPD - including myself - have never liked the SE Sandtroopers.

Fair enough Mike. That would be a "No" from a MEPD officer then :)

Right'o: Marmit it is.

Any help with the 2nd part of my post guys? Any vac-bitz going at the moment?

I know at one point there was talk about assembling the SE TDs CRL. Unfortunatly the voval majority at MEPD seem to be against anything that is not seen in the original ANH movie. My attitude has always been, make what you want to make. If your only goal is to get a 501st ID and MEPD deployed then do what the "Officials" tell you. If you do this because you want to dress up and make a difference in peoples lives then do what you want. Remember it is YOUR armor and the only person you have to please is yourself.

CJ

If you do this because you want to dress up and make a difference in peoples lives then do what you want. Remember it is YOUR armor and the only person you have to please is yourself.

CJ

Well said, I have the utmost respect for everyone here at MEPD. The fact that most of the people here are very talented individuals that

love to share there knowledge is what keeps me coming back to MEPD.

Is the SE pack cannon? Well the fact that it appears in a SW movie the short answer would be yes.

But if you are going by original cannon then the title A New Hope would not be cannon either.

Correct me if I am wrong but that was added after only after Lucas knew there was going to be more then one film.

That being said I think the SE packs are some prop guy being too lazy or carrying too much about a dead line to make the Sandtroopers

packs look like they did back in 1976 when they shot the SW. To be honest they kind of look like some one picked them up at Party City more then

they came from Skywalker Ranch. I am glad that MEPD has its standards and there fore have given the SE pack a thumbs down.

My pack is not cannon but only because I had a vision of what I wanted and knew that would mean deviating from the ANH pack.

I still try to keep it as close to ANH as I can tho.

I am glad that MEPD has its standards and there fore have given the SE pack a thumbs down.

Just for the record, disliking a costume is not the same thing as the detachment saying it will not accept it. This has been discussed in the past and I believe it would be accepted if someone recreated the mustard-troopers accurately. :) Is that the case? Just wondering.

Thanks for the replies guys.

At the end of the day I want to do 'C': all-of-the-above. I want to get a 501st ID, I want to get MEPD deployed and, like cjfive said, I'd like to make a difference. I've done alot of other reenactment in the past, and it's nice to be starting something that has a community based outlook.

So I guess I'll be making a Classic or Marmit. I suppose I could make a SE but, hey, who needs the grief huh? especially when it comes to getting this n00b deployed ;)

Now, back to trying to hot-glue these parts together...

We've never put together a reqs list for SE troops because it's just never been requested or needed. We could do it, but putting together accurate SE ROTJ armor is... almost impossible.

I'd love to see someone pull it off and I'm not against it at all, and as everyone stated, it's canon, so it's Legion acceptable and if pulled off really well, then I'd accept it as deployed on a per-case basis.