Low-Cost Travel TD Pack

whitecommando

How would guys feel about an all in one, travel pack? Basically, a low-cost, vac-formed back with slightly simplified details. The method of painting it would add to the appearance of looking segmented, and it would be the type of pack you would take on a long-distance troop, and perhaps even give away to an admirer or fan at a con.

Is this a good idea or something to be avoided?

I have been asked by a guy I know who vacforms things.

I am interested in hearing on this. Plus, if I wear a TD suit to D*Con, and only "IF" I go... I do not want to have an accidental fall, for whatever reason, and have a nice pack destroyed.

Chime In Brothers,

John

I can't see how it's possible. Even a pack made from a minimum of four sheets of HIPS is still going to cost you about $50 at cost, then all the other off-the-shelf parts adds up. Then the time it takes to assemble it.

It typically took me a month to assemble one 'good' pack, and that amount of someone's time isn't cheap.

Yup. The largest investment certainly is labor hours, not materials.

It's certainly possible to do what you're after, but I think a lot would have to do with the finished project. As you allude, it would mainly be for parades and such.

A good question is how much lighter it would really get, and if that would make the difference. The packs are pretty light already (compared to what one would take on a hike) but you get sore due to the strapping arrangement and how it sits on your body, neither of which are really correctable.

the weight issue is really a non-issue. My pack_while totally accurate_is the lightest one I've ever built, and probably just as light as any "economy" back pack. It might weigh all of eight pound.

The irony here is that economy packs typically utilize PVC (which is cheap and easy to get), but makes them really heavy!! The frame for example, many people make out of PVC because it's easier to get than an aluminum Boy Scout back pack frame. But, generally speaking, while the Boy Scout frame might cost a little more (I've bought some for as cheap as $10), it's vastly lighter, stronger and accurate than one made of PVC. What throws many people for a loop is that the Boy Scout frame has to be cut with a hack saw and bent properly to be usable - which adds more time to the build cost.

The cheapest thing to get on the Sandtrooper backpack are the gray bottles, which are just generic Target brand 'Wet Wipes'. I think they cost $2.00 each.

The cheapest alternative for the Seed Trays are cat litter boxes. I've not researched this option, so I know nothing beyond that. Obviously if someone could scour old greenhouses in the UK you might get lucky and find the original Seed Trays. Even still, if someone DID find them, molding and casting them for vac-forming would jump the cost right back up to what Seth has been selling his for.