Buying a helmet... Can you identify? Edited

Hawk

EDIT: It is a GT FX helmet.

Okay, so the guy wants $190 plus shipping for the helmet. It has the fan and voice amp built in. (see details below pics)

(But it also doesnt look like it has the "flat head" of the fx helmet even though apparently it is. So this means it is too big if I am correct about FX helmets.)

Can I get something better for that price? (with amp and fans?)

Hi guys!

I am new here. But I am a 501st hopeful! And I am in need of your input...

I was wondering if someone could identify this bucket?

...and maybe give me an idea of what it's worth?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the description according to the seller:

"Star Wars Stormtrooper helmet prop...used condition. Comes with voice amp and fan system already installed. Painted and weathered up to appear as an Episode IV Sandtrooper...

Please note the speaker for the voice amp is mounted in the chin and is insulated to prevent feedback on lower volume.....works good and is all self contained."

The seller said he would clean the weathering paint off of the helmet and shine it up for me if I wished. (Which I would have him do because, even though I want to end up with a Sandtrooper, I plan to start out as a Stormtrooper until I can afford to upgrade)

Anyway, I knew you guys would be the people to help me out.. Thanks in advance all!

- Jason

That's an FX lid. I would generally stay away. FX lids, due to their inaccuracy, are not longer accepted for TD deployment or the FISD TK Elite standards. With all the options available today, you can get a much more accurate bucket for around the same price.

Definitely FX? So it will look too big or something?

What's it worth?

Yeah, its definitely FX. Here's a side by side shot (hope you don't mind me using this Rachel ) of FX and AP.

Posted Image

As for what its worth, I don't really know. I know that the price for a Master Replicas CE Stormtrooper helmet is about $90, which is what I'd imagine you'd be paying for the FX. It needs some work, but it looks MUCH better.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/redfor ... %20IV%20CE

The one that looks flat on the top? (no offense to whomever that belongs to)

Hmm... yikes. Well, (and Im not arguing) but the one in my pictures looks more ... um.. for lack of better word... domed on the top than that one.

But maybe its just the angle or are there more than one version of the FX helmets?

Oh and I REALLY appreciate your answering my questions man. Thank you.

The one that looks flat on the top? (no offense to whomever that belongs to)

Hmm... yikes. Well, (and Im not arguing) but the one in my pictures looks more ... um.. for lack of better word... domed on the top than that one.

But maybe its just the angle or are there more than one version of the FX helmets?

Oh and I REALLY appreciate your answering my questions man. Thank you.

Try here...

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

or here...

http://www.tk1536.com/armor.html

To answer your question....

It's a good price for the bucket and all the guts. A kit alone will cost you over a hundred, then throw in the electronics it adds up.

It's true the FX is not longer allowed for deployed or Elite, however if that's not you cup of tea, it should not be a worry. It's still approved for the 501st.

Their are better buckets out there, that are pretty easy to get a hold of. The starting price is north of 200.00 USD.

So now you know and can decide what you want to do.

Their are better buckets out there, that are pretty easy to get a hold of. The starting price is north of 200.00 USD.

Actually, as was mentioned above, the MR CE UK exclusive is going for $90 plus shipping from redfordfilms.com.

It can also vary from garrison to garrison. I know some are still FX bucket heavy, in mine we're down to just two folks IIRC and one plans to upgrade soon.

FX isn't so bad when everyone else is FX, but boy it sure does stand out when you're the only one.

Okay, So I have decided (for other reasons as well---long story about a jerk on ebay mucking with the price) NOT to get the FX helmet.

Do you think it would be okay for me to make a new thread already that could be concerning my quest for armor and getting advice on it?

I dont want to get in trouble for starting another thread so soon after this one. But this one is no longer needed.

Also... Thank you guys for all your help and advice! What a great bunch!

something else to think about is how big is your head?? because if you if you have a normal sized head fitting into a TE or RT or various other proper sized helmet takes some work. especially if you put electronics in it.

so if you have a head that you might consider bigger.. maybe size 8+ hat or so, you might wanna get the fx. I know some guys who just cant fit into anything else. Though I would try to talk him down at least 50.

something else to think about is how big is your head?? because if you if you have a normal sized head fitting into a TE or RT or various other proper sized helmet takes some work. especially if you put electronics in it.

so if you have a head that you might consider bigger.. maybe size 8+ hat or so, you might wanna get the fx. I know some guys who just cant fit into anything else. Though I would try to talk him down at least 50.

I wear a medium fedora (Indiana Jones hat).

I would say hook up with your garrison and try them on first. My reason is that I've seen a lot of "my head can't fit in anything but FX" folks get converted when they're actually able to try a bucket on in person.

Second, I'd agree that how it fits will vary much more on what you stuff into it rather than your head size, and also on how it's trimmed/assembled. I've seen TE2 helmets come out the "smallest" and "largest" fitting when compared to RT and AP, so it seems there's more delta in the pull, assembly, & trim than much else.

Some folks put everything and the kitchen sink in then and they fit just fine, others have to make trade-offs between fans, vox, padding, e.g. you get two out of three. Others solve it by moving most everything to a belt or chest amp, thus removing quite a lot in the bucket.

I'll also say that my personal experience - and yes YMMV - is that when I had nothing in my bucket I felt no need for fans/much padding at all. I think it's because there's quite a lot of airflow if you pretty much just have a shell.

Once vox/fans got installed I had to put in more padding to help correct for the offset center of gravity. Now that there's more stuff, less airflow and all of a sudden fans seem kinda nice on a warm day.

Go figure :-p

Oh - and KW I hear has come out with his A.N.H.v2.5, which is supposed to be even better than the 2.0. This fits size-wise between TE/RT/AP and FX and is 501st approved. Hopefully someone can post pix/a review.

I wear a medium fedora (Indiana Jones hat).

i'd say you'd be fine with one of the smaller ones then. FX is kind of a last option. I still have a few fx parts but the first thing I ditched was the helmet I still have my thighs (those have fit the best being a girl and all) and I still have my shirt mod, but I wanna ditch it soon too for something more accurate.

It IS a GT FX Helmet. Do you guys think if I could get it for... $125 shipped it would be worth it to start out with?

I mean... once I can afford to upgrade (SOMEday), I could always sell it and at least get close to my money back out of it, right?

Also... is a GT FX helmet different from an FX helmet?

A GT FX and an FX are the same thing. Also that helmet belongs to a friend of mine. If your interested in it shoot him a message. The winning bidder backed out .

The sound system in it is loud and clear to boot.

Bought and paid for!!

I am very excited as this will be my FIRST piece of Stormtrooper armor ever!

I cant wait to get it!

I figure it will do me for now. I still gotta get the armor and everything else. That's going to cost a pretty penny Im sure. Then someday I can always upgrade to an AP or RT or something.

But probably not until after I go Sandtroooper!!!

Thanks for all your input guys!