Weathering question

Daverian

I noticed in that fan film "Troops", the weathering was darker almost black in the crevaces. I like the look, but it seems the tutorial sites I have visited are only for dark brown through light tan weathering.

Posted Image

I guess what I am trying to say is that (as far as I can tell) it looks like they have been working on repairing AT-ATs or something. Dark, greasy motor oil smudgy kind of weathering instead of the light sand tan colors. I like it, I mean it looks mean. Has anyone used black in their weathering?

Looking at the close ups in other threads it seems brown is the predominant color used on Tattoine. Check out these two just posted:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/t ... e/T-21.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/t ... d6-2-1.jpg

I have to say that I really like the dark smudgy look in Troops. I think the key is that the armor looks "dirty" rather than "sandy" per se.

That said, considering that we are trying to recreate ANH sandtroopers rather than be dirty in general, I'd think that most people would go for browns. I believe we'd accept the Troops style just the same though, would we not?

I like the greasy dirty look. Also, sometimes they need to make it even darker to show up on film. Sota like when they wet down the streets in film and tv to have it show up better.

Wasn't "Troops" filmed like in 87-88 with Marco armor? Can't remember.

If i remember correctly, some people have advised that one uses cheap hairspray as a sealer, but you might want to have someone else confirm that one. Then there is also the issue if the sealer dulls the shine on the armor or not, and that might be a good thing or not depending on what you are looking for. There should also be possible to use the stuff one has on top of coal drawings, but again you should have someone confirm this, as i have not done so on my helmet as it is mainly for display (so far). Good luck!